D is gassed. ST and QB lost this one

csom_1991

Reaction score
The D can not be on the field all day in the heat and humidity. I don't think the playcalling was great - but they needed Mitch to step up when Missouri sold out to stop the run and he didn't come through. I don't think this is a big surprise for anyone - we are what we are. If Max sticks around and we get decent QB play, we will be back in a New Year Day bowl next year with this D. I am proud of the guys. When the other team is using a bunch of trick plays, it means that they didn't think they were good enough to beat up straight up - that is good sign when you are playing an SEC divisional champ.

Mitch did very well passing the ball, but he has brick hands when trying to hold onto the ball. Agreed, special teams really took a hit today.

Here's a question. Has Jerry Kill ever won a bowl game?

Every game we've lost this season is directly due to our own unforced mistakes. Hopefully an offseason of maturing will clean up these silly mistakes. Overall, however, we are going in the right direction. Just disappointing to see the errors today.

If you think our passing game lost us the game I don't know if we watched the same game

Mitch played arguably the best game of his career despite the fumbles. Special teams and rush D killed us. O-line didn't play well but this was a very quick and athletic Mizzou D.

I'd put this one on the d line/front 7. Run d was awful today and so was qb pressure. Thought Mitch played well but can't fumble the ball like that. ST was terrible as well. Felt the coaches coached not to lose where mizzou coached to win. Also TOs in general killed us. Very disappointing loss

Missouri sold out on the running game. When the other team does that, you need to make plays passing because you are getting favorable match ups. It really is that simple. In known passing downs, we did nothing - why do you think that is? Mitch needed to make more plays in the beginning of the 2nd half to keep the D honest and he couldn't. Thrown in a couple of crap penalties and this offense is not going to get first downs consistently. The D played very, very well all things considered. With that said, the time for adjustments was not during halftime, it was before and during the season when the coaching staff knew what they were working with. Mitch is just not a quality QB. Maybe he will develop but I think a semi-talented player could beat him out easily next year. Adam Weber was 10x the QB Mitch is.

The Defense and turnovers and ST cause us this game. QB was part of the problem, but it was not the mean reason we loss this game.

Missouri sold out on the running game. When the other team does that, you need to make plays passing because you are getting favorable match ups. It really is that simple. In known passing downs, we did nothing - why do you think that is? Mitch needed to make more plays in the beginning of the 2nd half to keep the D honest and he couldn't. Thrown in a couple of crap penalties and this offense is not going to get first downs consistently. The D played very, very well all things considered. With that said, the time for adjustments was not during halftime, it was before and during the season when the coaching staff knew what they were working with. Mitch is just not a quality QB. Maybe he will develop but I think a semi-talented player could beat him out easily next year. Adam Weber was 10x the QB Mitch is.

Passing wise Mitch looked the sharpest he has ever looked. He had what? 13 completions in a row? 66% percent completion percentage and a career high in yards with no INTs. If anything the passing game kept us in the game and made it more competitive.

Some fans will blame Leidner under any scenario. The fumbles are frustrating but he played really well today. David Cobb didn't look right and the run game let us down on both sides of the ball. Special teams sucked. Mitch played well.

Mitch played arguably the best game of his career despite the fumbles. Special teams and rush D killed us. O-line didn't play well but this was a very quick and athletic Mizzou D.

Agree, Mitch passed very well today.

Special Team and Scheme, particularly on offense got us beat - Not the QB. Yes he fumbled 3 times trying to make plays. At some point though, you have to move beyond running it up the guy and zone reads. Have to get the ball outside QUICKLY - something we just don't do well.

Agree, Mitch passed very well today.

Mitch's best game - had we a running game to go with his hot hand, we'd have won. Play selection sometimes odd and loafing at the end of the first half unforgivable, especially in light of the opening onside kick.

So what do we do? Keep calling running plays into a brick wall. I know we are stuck with Limey, but I do not care for his play calling.

What did we do? Our QB had a career high in passing? He stepped up but we need to have both to be effective. The running game needed to be better. Anyways, the D, penalties and specials were more concerning than anything on O.

Missouri owned the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball , and special teams weeren't very special. And I do think the coaching staff made a mistake going conservative at the end of the half.

Plus if you take the sun out of Berkley's eyes thats 30 more yards to Mitch's already fantastic total. Was a very good throw.

My bad. I agree, Mitch's passing was the highlight of the game. Can't complaint about that.
Yep. Run game has to get going at least a little bit when Leidner is throwing for 250 yards.

Nope, Coaches lost this one. We had them defensively until Missouri started taking chances... like the fake punt, onside kick. For us, we have no time management skills, and we don't take any chances at all. Laying down with 1 minute left in the first half, was typical. Like Coach Kill punting in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes left while behind. They would rather lose than make a mistake.

What did we do? Our QB had a career high in passing? He stepped up but we need to have both to be effective. The running game needed to be better. Anyways, the D, penalties and specials were more concerning than anything on O.

We should not have been running on first down in the second half. It was clear we could not run on them in the second half. We needed to do more swing passes, jet sweep, curl routes. We needed to attack the edges. We were going nowhere up the middle, yet we wasted play after play going up the middle. Just a wasted down. Listen, I don't like Limey and i think a lot of the plays he called wasted a down and put the offense in a bad position.

Nope, Coaches lost this one. We had them defensively until Missouri started taking chances... like the fake punt, onside kick. For us, we have no time management skills, and we don't take any chances at all. Laying down with 1 minute left in the first half, was typical. Like Coach Kill punting in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes left while behind. They would rather lose than make a mistake.

You are so spot on with that take. Congrats!!!

Missouri owned the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball , and special teams weeren't very special. And I do think the coaching staff made a mistake going conservative at the end of the half.

This. Surprisingly we pass blocked well but didn't do a good job in the running game. I know they stacked the box but that isn't something new.

Fumbles and all I was encouraged by Leidner. He was hitting guys in stride today and chucked the he!! Out of the ball.

This. Surprisingly we pass blocked well but didn't do a good job in the running game. I know they stacked the box but that isn't something new.

when they stack the box, you need your QB to step up. Without garbage time passing yards and Maxx's individual effort, Mitch threw for 140 - most of that was early in the first when we were running dink and dunk. When Missouri stepped up and forced Mitch to throw, he couldn't.

I've been pretty critical of Mitch Leidner this season but he is hardly the reason they lost today, it was probably the best I've seen him play. The problem, like others have mentioned, is that Missouri won the battle of the trenches, they just wore us down on both sides.

I don't see anyone saying this.

Yeah me neither title clearly says "QB" not Passing game or Offense. Mitch was personally responsible for all 3 turnovers today & none of them were on a passing play...

when they stack the box, you need your QB to step up. Without garbage time passing yards and Maxx's individual effort, Mitch threw for 140 - most of that was early in the first when we were running dink and dunk. When Missouri stepped up and forced Mitch to throw, he couldn't.

I don't agree with that at all. Yes Maxx did some great individual things but for the most part, Leidner threw the ball extremely well.

Top Bottom