Curtis Dunlap Jr has entered the transfer portal...again

Faalele has a lot of raw talent but so did Seantrel Henderson and he went 7th round.

He's sometimes dominant, but limited. He'll be exposed in an NFL that passes more every season, and a lot more than the Gophers do. He certainly would get drafted as a project pick, but the pass protection troubles keep him to the 3rd day if he enters early, I think. It's hard to see him blocking someone like Danielle Hunter next year and not getting his QB killed.

Faalele has a lot of raw talent but so did Seantrel Henderson and he went 7th round.

He's sometimes dominant, but limited. He'll be exposed in an NFL that passes more every season, and a lot more than the Gophers do. He certainly would get drafted as a project pick, but the pass protection troubles keep him to the 3rd day if he enters early, I think. It's hard to see him blocking someone like Danielle Hunter next year and not getting his QB killed.
I mean Hunter is one of the top 5 DL in the NFL too 😁

On radio show Fleck says he’s had conversations with players around transfer portal and potential of players leaving. He ended by saying that they have a pretty good handle on what players will do and that people will be surprised by some that leave and by some that will return.
Yeah he also said he expects portal activity to increase over time as players get more comfortable with how it works.

Was Shaw, the transfer, brought in for next year or just some depth?

I suppose coaches have some idea in their head at the time. But with transfers injuries and etc... I think they know anything is possible just want the best guy they can get at the moment.

Every depth guy is a potential starter.

Even without Dunlap, we already still have Olson, Andries, JMS, and Axel Ruschmeyer who have played/started a bunch of games in the interior. I doubt that Shaw gets to see the field much this year.

I think he was brought in to compete to be our backup center this year and compete to start at center next year.
Even without Dunlap, we already still have Olson, Andries, JMS, and Axel Ruschmeyer who have played/started a bunch of games in the interior. I doubt that Shaw gets to see the field much this year.
If JMS goes down I assume that Shaw would have a fine shot to play over Boe.

I do believe Seantrel would have gone higher but for his issues. Turned out he was self medicating for a chronic disease.

I know this is dreaming, but Faalele needs another year to be NFL ready.
I think most of us can agree on that. And I think a lot of us agree too that NFL teams are willing to gamble on athletic freaks, raw talent, troubled players with talent, etc. Maybe because they're afraid that someone else will snatch these players up before they can. I dunno.
I still couldn't make a good guess on what Big Dan will do.

Yep, my post of not inviting him back wasn't intended to make me sound like I don't support his decision. I just think it's best for both parties to move on. It's never a good idea to try to talk someone into not breaking up with you. His heart or head are clearly not here and that happens. It doesn't make him a bad person, it's just not a good fit here.
He's not going to be invited back for one reason -- he quit on his team mid season.

Do the gophers have to automatically release him from his Scholarship? I seem to remember the school had to approve where the transfer was going.

If JMS goes down I assume that Shaw would have a fine shot to play over Boe.
If JMS went down (please no), then my guess is Olson would move to Center and Axel Ruschmeyer to G (replacing whichever Olson was at). Or if AR is only solid at Left, then utility-knife Andries maybe moves to Right.

No idea who the next guy in would be for an interior position. Boe, Shaw, or Cooper?

If Schlueter or Faalele goes down, then I think Andries moves to that Tackle, and Axel fills in at whatever G spot he was (or like mentioned before maybe they shuffle sides, as Olson can do both).

Or, maybe, the coaches feel good enough about Guedet at this point that they'd put him in and keep Andries inside? Or Ersery behind Big Dan, I feel good about based on last year.

Anyway, we have some nice options for this season.

But for 2022, in the worst-case we're staring down the loss of: Schlueter, Olson, Axel Ruschmeyer, Andries, JMS, Faalele, and of course Dunlap.

Would be amazing if Andries and JMS could be convinced to follow the six-year path of Schlueter and Olson.

If JMS went down (please no), then my guess is Olson would move to Center and Axel Ruschmeyer to G (replacing whichever Olson was at). Or if AR is only solid at Left, then utility-knife Andries maybe moves to Right.

No idea who the next guy in would be for an interior position. Boe, Shaw, or Cooper?

If Schlueter or Faalele goes down, then I think Andries moves to that Tackle, and Axel fills in at whatever G spot he was (or like mentioned before maybe they shuffle sides, as Olson can do both).

Or, maybe, the coaches feel good enough about Guedet at this point that they'd put him in and keep Andries inside? Or Ersery behind Big Dan, I feel good about based on last year.
complete forgot that Olson was a center for so long for us!

Anyway, we have some nice options for this season.

But for 2022, in the worst-case we're staring down the loss of: Schlueter, Olson, Axel Ruschmeyer, Andries, JMS, Faalele, and of course Dunlap.

Would be amazing if Andries and JMS could be convinced to follow the six-year path of Schlueter and Olson.

Would almost guarantee that Andries will be drafted after this year.

I know this is dreaming, but Faalele needs another year to be NFL ready.
Fa'alele has to weigh the chances of injury, experience, and market value.

People are in the same boat as you that staying an extra year to gain added experience will benefit Fa'alele greatly.

This coming NFL Draft will be super loaded due to the Covid extra year of eligibility. Fa'alele may lose millions by falling into the later rounds. This upcoming NFL Draft will be a buyer's market. There will be a lot of very good UDFAs. This is a perfect time for the Vikings to fire Zimmer.

Fa'alele's market value in the NFL Draft will be greater with an extra year of experience.

Rashod Bateman's case is the opposite. He entered the NFL Draft a year early because his market value was very high landing him 27th overall as a 1st round pick.

I wish that Curtis Dunlop stuck it out an extra year. He will have improved his chances of getting drafted. Instead, he is starting over somewhere else. I hope that it is not a maturity issue. He may have felt jilted by losing his starting position. A rash decision that he eventually will regret. I don't know the whole story about his early exit. Something happened that caused him to abandon his teammates.

Schlueter sucked it all in when he took a lot of abuse early in his career. Instead, he work his butt off and got better.

Last edited:

Seantrel smoked a bunch of weed and made other bad decisions that led to his draft stock falling -- then Crohns hit him the pros. They aren't great comps.

Fa'alele has to weigh the chances of injury, experience, and market value.

People are in the same boat as you that staying an extra year to gain added experience will benefit Fa'alele greatly.

The other important thing is this coming NFL Draft will be super loaded due to the Covid extra year of eligibility. He may lose millions by falling into the later rounds.

He will have greater market value in the NFL Draft with the extra year.

Rashod Bateman's case is the opposite. He entered the NFL Draft a year early because his market value is very high landing him 27th overall as a 1st round pick.

I just wish Curtis Dunlop stuck it out an extra year. He will get drafted with added experience. I hope that it is not a maturity issue feeling jilted by losing his starting position. A rash decision that he eventually will regret. I don't know the whole story about his early exit. Something happened that caused him to abandon his teammate.

Schlueter sucked it all in when he took a lot of abuse early in his career. Instead, he work his butt off and got better.
Curtis does not have a maturity issue. He has a character issue. He quit. On his team, mid season. On his teammates and best friends.

Curtis does not have a maturity issue. He has a character issue. He quit. On his team, mid season. On his teammates and best friends.
Whatever it is, it is irrevocable. IMHO, the trust is gone.

The kid is doing what he thinks is best for him. Let’s leave it at that.

I know nothing of this about Curtis, but there's no guarantee his teammates are his best friends. Lots of guys don't fit in on a team, or get kind of blackballed by a team, or otherwise don't vibe. A fresh start and new faces can do them some good. Doesn't mean they are bad people. There are plenty of guys who are good at football and are good people but aren't necessarily the fit-in-on-a-football-team type of dude.

Kind of silly to judge his character or maturity level. We don’t know what’s going on in his life. I wish him the best.

Top Bottom