Curtis Dunlap Jr has entered the transfer portal...again

Seems like a guy who doesn’t want to be here. Was talked into staying. Still doesn’t want to be here: I’m glad he gave it another shot.

Bummer, talented but inconsistent guard, suspect he is unhappy he is not starting, here’s hoping Mo can talk him out of it again…

Hmmm.. how about that.

We went a long time without a transfer portal person.

If in the portal he is not going to be playing, unless he removes his name from the portal
I've never understood guys that do this. He's already used a year of eligibility this year, and it is currently mid-semester. So assuming he hangs around until the end of the semester so he also doesn't throw away a half of an academic year, why not just stay on the team until the end of the regular season/fall semester, and then transfer? I'm not sure what is gained by doing it now, unless you are just so unhappy that you're leaving the team and/or school now because you don't want to hang around for another 2+ months.

Regardless, hopefully Curtis finds what he's looking for.

Well, that makes one more offensive lineman we'll have to try to get from the portal this spring.

I've never understood guys that do this. He's already used a year of eligibility this year, and it is currently mid-semester. So assuming he hangs around until the end of the semester so he also doesn't throw away a half of an academic year, why not just stay on the team until the end of the regular season/fall semester, and then transfer? I'm not sure what is gained by doing it now, unless you are just so unhappy that you're leaving the team and/or school now because you don't want to hang around for another 2+ months.

Regardless, hopefully Curtis finds what he's looking for.
That's what I'm thinking. Sticking around if you're miserable would be torture. I hope all is well with him.

The lack of consistency in OL play this season has been maddening, which could be because they have been rotating guys in and out throughout each game. This strategy can work well on DL but not so much on the OL. Maybe with one less player to rotate, our line can settle into a consistent rhythm.

The lack of consistency in OL play this season has been maddening, which could be because they have been rotating guys in and out throughout each game. This strategy can work well on DL but not so much on the OL. Maybe with one less player to rotate, our line can settle into a consistent rhythm.
Possible maybe we're not going to rotate and Curtis isn't going to be there much and he made his call. Understandable for him if that is the case.

Did he start against Purdue?
Burns does a hell of a job at 247...weekly posts info from PFF on snap counts/grades:

Center John Michael Schmitz: 55 of 55 snaps (100%) - Grade of 73.1, 5th of 18 - highest-graded Gopher in pass protection with an 81.9 grade

LT Sam Schlueter: 55 of 55 snaps (100%) - Grade of 55.1, 14th of 18 - lowest graded Gopher in run blocking

LG Conner Olson: 55 of 55 snaps (100%) - Grade of 66.7, 11th of 18 - 76.8 grade in pass protection

RT Daniel Faalele: 55 of 55 snaps (100%) - Grade of 67.5, 8th of 18 -

OL Blaise Andries: 51 of 55 snaps (83%) - Grade of 72.6, 6th of 18 - 70+ grades in the run and pass

RG Curtis Dunlap: 33 of 55 snaps (60%) - Grade of 54.2, 15th of 18 - second-lowest graded OL vs. the run and worst in pass pro with a 21.1 grade

OL Axel Ruschmeyer: 12 of 55 snaps (22%) - Grade of 82.6.0, 2nd of 18 -

This is not very encouraging coming out of the bye week.
Things are starting to unravel.

After reading the recruiting thread, seems there are some valid concerns. I'm sure the coaching staff is working hard to fix things.

But this news is certainly very disappointing. Especially when the OLine was a supposed strength entering the year.

They weren't going to rotate someone that plays over 30 snaps a game? No, he doesn't want to be here anymore is more plausible. They've already removed him from the Roster on the website.
Makes me wonder if something else is at play.

Still... could be the other thing.

He's from Florida, right? Or at least, IMG is where he played. Maybe he is just tired of being in the cold north, fish out of water culturally, and if he's having to do this "rotation stuff" it's not worth it to him?

Wild guessing. Wish him the best of luck elsewhere.

Andries, JMS, and Olson give us a fantastic interior that can play every snap of every remaining game.

If the staff wants to rotate Ruschmeyer and/or Boe in there, so be it. I think those two also get in as 6th OL in various heavy formations.

The six and seven man oline front has really not been that effective, except vs Colorado...without Mo and Trey, I would think we may see less of it moving forward

Ersery is just a Sophomore right?

Top Bottom