Current Scholarship Count

You can have up to 32 new scholarships in the 2022 class, but you still are capped by a limit of 85 total scholarships. The 32 recruits number helps teams who, because of transfer and other attrition, wouldn’t be able to achieve 85 total scholarships even if they get full 25 person recruiting/transfer classes for 2022. {Yes, there are teams in that situation.}

I think the Gophers, because they had so many super seniors on the team in 2021 (when there was a relaxation of the 85 limit, I believe, because of COVID), have the opposite problem. They had to lose scholarship players just to get a medium-sized 2022 recruiting/transfer class—because of the 85 player cap. I hate losing a few of the transfers who have left this year, such as Boyd (who had upside), but the truth is that the quantum of transfers we have had this season—most of whom weren’t going to be impact players—is essential to get us back in balance to have better numbers in our 2022 recruiting/transfer class. It is a consequence of how many super seniors we retained in 2021.
You only get to go above 25, up to 7 more, per additional guy who leaves.

So it's not possible to have a thing like where you would've been at 85 with 25 new, but 32 new puts you over 85 ... because each of those 7 are also leaving from the 85.

You do bring up a great point about being allowed to go above 85 for 2021 ... but I believe that only applies to guys who were playing beyond their normal eligibility, and thus will not be able to play after 2021?

You only get to go above 25, up to 7 more, per additional guy who leaves.

So it's not possible to have a thing like where you would've been at 85 with 25 new, but 32 new puts you over 85 ... because each of those 7 are also leaving from the 85.

You do bring up a great point about being allowed to go above 85 for 2021 ... but I believe that only applies to guys who were playing beyond their normal eligibility, and thus will not be able to play after 2021?
Yes, not sure of the exact formula, but in 2021 I believe that a team could go over 85 scholarships, but for the benefit only of players who would have otherwise termed out in the 2020 COVID season. For us, that was guys like Connor Olson, Schleuter, Durr, etc. That is in part why 2021 appeared to hold so much potential for the Gophers. I believe we probably had 90 or more on scholarship. But some early, critical injuries coupled with strangely one-sided offensive play calling kind of neutralized whatever marginal, super-senior advantage we opened the season with. And now we’ve got to “right size” the scholarship count, while trying to bring in a 2022 recruiting/transfer class somewhere near the permitted 25 size.

Updated with the commits of:

Cade McConnell
Hayden Schwartz
Maverick Baranowski

One more spot open according to my math.

There is zero chance that Axel Rusch won't be on full scholarship, if he's being expected to be a starting OL.

Would think LeCaptain would keep it too. Especially after the big deal they made about it in the video, and then his role later in the season.

After spring ball, would fully expect X number guys to leave, either voluntarily or be "asked nicely".

I would think they (coaching staff) have a firm idea of what that X is, so that X can play into a "fudge factor" on your number. IE, they can take 85 + X, without too much worry, and see what happens after spring.

I think reasonable that X would be at least 5. Maybe 5-10.

There is zero chance that Axel Rusch won't be on full scholarship, if he's being expected to be a starting OL.

Would think LeCaptain would keep it too. Especially after the big deal they made about it in the video, and then his role later in the season.

After spring ball, would fully expect X number guys to leave, either voluntarily or be "asked nicely".

I would think they (coaching staff) have a firm idea of what that X is, so that X can play into a "fudge factor" on your number. IE, they can take 85 + X, without too much worry, and see what happens after spring.

I think reasonable that X would be at least 5. Maybe 5-10.
Yeah, that's probably likely. Any others that we can think of that might have a scholarship after being a walk-on?

If your OP is only guys who were listed as scholarship recruits (or transfers), then yeah there would definitely be guys that have scholarships (at least for 2021) that weren't originally on those lists.

Would guess Annexstad's were. Obviously Zach is leaving. I think technically Brock could play one more season with covid, but assuming it won't be at Minnesota?

Updated with the commits of:

Cade McConnell
Hayden Schwartz
Maverick Baranowski

One more spot open according to my math.
I'd imagine we're still looking at more transfers, and then we still have the 2 kids in 247 Top Targets who would be great gets. But we are about to hit our limit here? So we've only got room for 1 more spot overall? I find it hard to believe, and I don't want to believe it. So we'd have to make room somehow...and the only way you do that is take scholarships away, but that also seems unlikely? I really don't know how often you do that.

Trying to learn here, somebody help me out.

Trust Fleck and staff. They have it figured out.

I'd imagine we're still looking at more transfers, and then we still have the 2 kids in 247 Top Targets who would be great gets. But we are about to hit our limit here? So we've only got room for 1 more spot overall? I find it hard to believe, and I don't want to believe it. So we'd have to make room somehow...and the only way you do that is take scholarships away, but that also seems unlikely? I really don't know how often you do that.

Trying to learn here, somebody help me out.
It'll all work out in the end, like it always does. I most made this thread cause I wanted to keep track.

Broadly, that NCAA does not allow a team to take a scholarship away from a player, their scholarship is guaranteed for the entire time they are at the school. However, if a walk-on gets a scholarship, it is only for 1 year and needs to be renewed.

In order to free up more space, we should expect to see some more transfers. Usually around this time we seem to be above the 85 allowed, but after spring practice more players transfer and everything works out.

By my count, if no walk-ons got scholarships this year, we have 1 spot. That's fairly unlikely, so expect more to transfer out.

Added Jordan Howden, Preston Jelen, and Brock Annexstad to the Walk-ons currently still on the roster with eligibility left that have gotten scholarships in the past. Also added a tldr at the top. We currently have anywhere from 84 to 89 scholarships used for the 2022 season as things stand.

There are quite a lot of moving parts to be resolved before April.

Recruiting and counting got more challenging for the recruiting staff. There will be people working over the Holidays.

There are quite a lot of moving parts to be resolved before April.

Recruiting and counting got more challenging for the recruiting staff. There will be people working over the Holidays.
There is no way the staff is so concerned or unaware that they are working extra to figure out the scholarships. Just like every other year they’ll make it work. They won’t turn away guys they want. It’s almost as if they know more than this message board.

There is no way the staff is so concerned or unaware that they are working extra to figure out the scholarships. Just like every other year they’ll make it work. They won’t turn away guys they want. It’s almost as if they know more than this message board.
I don't agree with that. At some point they do have to turn guys away. It's not like they can say ok we want Johnson lets get rid of Smith. But yeah I am sure they are very in tune with what is available as far as scholarship numbers. I would think they basically already have a pool of players in wait for when a scholarship opens up.

Impossible. GH is the source of all knowledge.

1640283162476.png

I don't agree with that. At some point they do have to turn guys away. It's not like they can say ok we want Johnson lets get rid of Smith. But yeah I am sure they are very in tune with what is available as far as scholarship numbers. I would think they basically already have a pool of players in wait for when a scholarship opens up.
If they turn you away you weren’t a priority. There is space for the guys they really want.

It is a given that they will make it work. PJ Fleck said that recruiting got more challenging with new moving parts.

The Gophers were the first to deploy dynamic online recruiting tactics during the pandemic shutdown. An entire recruiting class got recruited without first setting foot on campus! Other colleges emulated the Gophers.

There is no mistaking that they will get it to work and PJ Fleck's creativity. His staff may have just gotten busier.

Updated with Ky Thomas and Nnamdi Adim-Madumere entering the transfer portal

Updated with Surgers and Carroll transfers

Updated with Jaqwondis Burns entering the portal

We lost several players to the portal, but IMO overall we've gained much more than we lost. Pretty wild how we can add solid players to positions of need.

1642043911304.png

Top Bottom