Current Scholarship Count

Burns reporting on his 247 site Clay Geary may be returning for year 7, may be on scholarship.

Burns has some very detailed reporting on projected depth charts for 2022 this week.

Burns reporting on his 247 site Clay Geary may be returning for year 7, may be on scholarship.

Burns has some very detailed reporting on projected depth charts for 2022 this week.
Interesting, I'll update if we get some further confirmation on the scholarship

I would think Brock would transfer to go play with Zach? Wild guess, might as well wait until/if there is an announcement.

Updated with Chris Smith commit. We are now officially at 85 scholarships if no more transfer out and no walk-ons get scholarships. I expect this number to change after the February signing day/spring camp.

Last edited:

Updated with Chris Smith commit. We are no officially at 85 scholarships if no more transfer out and no walk-ons get scholarships. I expect this number to change after the February signing day/spring camp.
If I read this correctly (you have a typo), this means that a walk on who could very well deserve a scholarship will not get one. That can go against us as well as we tout the walk-on program where if you work hard and prove you're one of the boys, you'll get a scholarship. Wonder what percentage of walk-ons get a scholarship anyway?

If I read this correctly (you have a typo), this means that a walk on who could very well deserve a scholarship will not get one. That can go against us as well as we tout the walk-on program where if you work hard and prove you're one of the boys, you'll get a scholarship. Wonder what percentage of walk-ons get a scholarship anyway?
You can all but guarantee some scholarship guys are going to transfer out after Spring ball, and they figure out they aren't going to be as high up on the depth chart as they want with their eligibility clock ticking down.

Oops, I'll edit it. And like Gophers_4life said, there will be a few transfers after spring ball to open up spots. Usually it seems like PJ dolls out 2 to 4 a year to walk-ons, so they don't need to open up too much space.

Again, like my original post says, usually at this point in the year we're over by like 4 scholarships and it always works out, so the fact that we've only just hit the cap mean PJ has more room to work with than normal actually.

I was wondering how the Transfer Portal will impact PWOs.

Is Sullivan on scholarship?

Axel Ruschmeyer is on scholarship (I believe) and staying.

I think Cooper and Udoibok were gray shirt to scholarship guys.

LeCaptain I think was awarded a scholarship.
Sullivan was not. None of the others are guaranteed multi semester scholarships

Updated with Udoibok entering the transfer portal

Updated with Chris Smith flipping to ND

Interesting to me that Brock Annexstad is still on the roster this spring, and hasn't (so far) decided to go with his brother and try to get more playing time.

Also interesting that on the roster they call him a "sixth year". That would mean that he hasn't graduated yet, even though he has been enrolled at the U probably since at least summer 2017 semester (if not enrolled early for spring 2017).

How is that physically possible??? I thought the NCAA had mandates about degree progress that had to be met. If enrolling in every summer semester as well ... that's fifteen semesters that he (on paper) could have taken classes in.

Hopefully it's just a mistake and he is in fact working on a graduate degree. Or maybe some players elect not to enroll in class during the summer and work instead.

Then Tanner Morgan, Autman-Bell, Geary, Michael Schmitz, and Mo are all in the same boat, listed at 6th year. I assume they have all graduated their undergrad program.

Then Tanner Morgan, Autman-Bell, Geary, Michael Schmitz, and Mo are all in the same boat, listed at 6th year.
Indeed, all of these others are listed that way.

Additionally, a few more are listed as "fifth year".

I assume they have all graduated their undergrad program.
But then why are McCoy, Filiaga, Jefferies, and Surgers listed as "Graduate Students"?

https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/2022?&sort=class

Maybe there is an easy answer: all of the "sixth years" have completed the classes needed for a bachelor's, but are now pursuing a double-major instead of a graduate degree.

But then why are McCoy, Filiaga, Jefferies, and Surgers listed as "Graduate Students"?

Maybe there is an easy answer: all of the "sixth years" have completed the classes needed for a bachelor's, but are now pursuing a double-major instead of a graduate degree.
The McCoy entry has to be a coding error. He graduated from HS is 2021 and fall 2021 was his true freshman year. He will begin his second year of college this fall.
It seems as though graduate transfer players are listed as graduate students, but players who received their degree from the U and have stayed on at the U as grad students are listed as fifth or sixth year players.
The list includes "Redshirt Seniors" and "Fifth Year Players"--guys from the same recruiting class. The fifth year players are guys who never redshirted, and thus have 2022 as their COVID-related extra year of play. The redshirt seniors are guys who, obviously, redshirted and thus are technically eligible for a COVID-related sixth year of play in 2023.
This confusing nomenclature will drop away in a couple of years.

Last edited:

The McCoy entry has to be a coding error. He graduated from HS is 2021 and fall 2021 was his true freshman year. He will begin his second year of college this fall.
It seems as though graduate transfer players are listed as graduate students, but players who received their degree from the U and have stayed on at the U as grad students are listed as fifth or sixth year players.
Doh! The McCoy one is obviously wrong.

Interesting observation you make about transfers vs U players.

We know that you no longer need to be a graduate transfer in order to play right away. But it still may have worked out that way for those three, and/or was just easier for them to "tie things off" by graduating with their degree from their old school rather than try to transfer all those credits to the U (of MN) and have their degree be from here.

Most likely, I'm just bringing up something that isn't a big deal at all.

They never switched schools so they're running on their regular eligibility. Don't need to designate.

They never switched schools so they aren't Grad transfers. They are students who have been in one program.
It doesn't say "Grad transfer", it says "grad student".

It is perfectly possible for a player, especially in covid times/rules, to earn enough credits to graduate, graduate with their bachelor's, and continue to play out their eligibility at the same school/team while pursuing a graduate/professional degree. I'm certain this has been done before.

But, perhaps, these players preferred instead to continue taking undergraduate level courses, and maybe in pursuit of a double-major or (multiple) minor(s).

Sorry I have since edited, not seeing your comment. Grad Students, transfered under the Grad transfer requirements. That seems to be the distinction.
It doesn't say "Grad transfer", it says "grad student".

It is perfectly possible for a player, especially in covid times/rules, to earn enough credits to graduate, graduate with their bachelor's, and continue to play out their eligibility at the same school/team while persuing a graduate/professional degree. I'm certain this has been done before.

Doh! The McCoy one is obviously wrong.

Interesting observation you make about transfers vs U players.

We know that you no longer need to be a graduate transfer in order to play right away. But it still may have worked out that way for those three, and/or was just easier for them to "tie things off" by graduating with their degree from their old school rather than try to transfer all those credits to the U (of MN) and have their degree be from here.

Most likely, I'm just bringing up something that isn't a big deal at all.
I think it is pretty interesting, actually, how the school has to account for all these different statuses. Glad you brought it up. I've added some more thoughts to my post about nomenclature since you commented on it.

Sorry I have since edited, not seeing your comment. Grad Students, transfered under the Grad transfer requirements. That seems to be the distinction.
It's not worth arguing about it any further.

I will just say that, I'm certain that we could find players on the roster who never transferred into the U and who were graduate students. I don't think you would disagree.

And so, at some level it is just up to the arbitrary way that the group who runs the website is choosing to label these players.

It's not worth arguing about it any further.

I will just say that, I'm certain that we could find players on the roster who never transferred into the U and who were graduate students. I don't think you would disagree.

And so, at some level it is just up to the arbitrary way that the group who runs the website is choosing to label these players.
I agree 100%.

Updated with Irving's departure...

Updated with Douglas Emilien's departure

Updated with Kyler Baugh and Jacob Lewis's (who I forgot in Feb) transfers onto the roster. Up to 84 scholarships used with no walk-on's who previously had scholarships getting theirs renewed.

Updated with Brock's departure. The portal is now closed to new entrees, so we are locked in at 84 scholarships at the moment, leaving one more for a transfer or walk-on.

Top Bottom