Current Scholarship Count

swelna

Reaction score
TL;DR: We have 82 scholarships on the roster next year with the transfer portal closed for new entrees.

I just went through the 2016 through 2022 classes and counted how many scholarship recruits are still on the team to see where we are for scholarship numbers since the limit of 85 comes back next year. As far as I can tell, we currently have 55 scholarship players who will be back next year (as transfers and those out of eligibility or leaving for the draft for this year have been taken off of the roster already).

2017 (4)
Chris Autman-Bell
John Michael Schmitz
Mohamed Ibrahim
Tanner Morgan

2018 (8)
Terell Smith
Brevyn Spann-Ford
Bryce Williams
Braelen Oliver
Thomas Rush
Mariano Sori-Marin
Josh Aune
Nathan Boe

2019 (10)
Tyler Nubin
JJ Guedet
Donald Willis
Trill Carter
Logan Richter
Treyson Potts
Cole Kramer
Mike Brown-Stephens
Brady Weeks
Tyler Cooper

2020 (16)
Daniel Jackson
Jah Joyner
Danny Striggow
Jalen Logan-Redding
Martes Lewis
Michael Dixon
Gage Keys
Lucas Finnessy
Aireontae Ersery
Jalen Glaze
Cody Lindenberg
Miles Fleming
Victor Pless
Tyrell Lawrence
Mark Crawford
Austin Sullivan

2021 (17)
Athan Kaliakmanis
Steven Ortiz
Deven Eastern
Cameron James
Lemeke Brockington
Jacob Schuster
Devon Williams
Austin Booker
Jameson Geers
Logan Purcell
Justin Walley
Darius Green
Dino Kaliakmanis
Luther McCoy
Matthew Trickett
Karter Shaw
Dylan Wright

2022 (18)
Trey Bixby
Anthony Smith
Zach Evans
Ike White
Jacob Knuth
Aidan Gousby
Kristen Hoskins
Rhyland Kelly
Tariq Watson
Coleman Bryson
Tony Nelson
Nathan Jones
Spencer Alvarez
Joey Geriach
Ashton Beers
Cade McConnell
Hayden Schwartz
Maverick Baranowski

Transfers (8)
Ryan Stapp
Beanie Bishop
Lorenza Surgers
Quinn Carroll
Darnell Jefferies
Chuck Filiaga
Jacob Lewis
Kyler Baugh

Walk-ons with confirmed scholarships (1)
Dragan Kesich

Walk-ons with eligibility left who were awarded scholarships in the past who may get one again (4)
Axel Ruschmeyer
Derik LeCaptain
Jordan Howden
Preston Jelen

We currently have 3 open scholarship slots for this class (55+18+8+1 = 82) if none of the previous walk-ons get renewed scholarships. This is the first time that I can remember not wondering how we'll get under the limit of 85 scholarship players.

The chance to enter the portal and remain eligible for 2022 has closed, so we should see no more people leave, leaving us with 3 scholarship to give to a transfer or walk-on.

Last edited:

How do early enrollees play into this?

Is Sullivan on scholarship?

Axel Ruschmeyer is on scholarship (I believe) and staying.

I think Cooper and Udoibok were gray shirt to scholarship guys.

LeCaptain I think was awarded a scholarship.

Last edited:

I just went through the 2016 through 2022 classes and counted how many scholarship recruits are still on the team to see where we are for scholarship numbers since the limit of 85 comes back next year. As far as I can tell, we currently have 79 scholarship players who will play in the bowl game (as transfers for this year have been taken off of the roster already).

2016 (5)
Sam Schlueter - Leaving
Phillip Howard - Leaving
Conner Olson - Leaving
Coney Durr - Leaving
Ko Kieft - Leaving

2017 (8)

Blaise Andries
Chris Autman-Bell
John Michael Schmitz
Mohamed Ibrahim
Tanner Morgan
Justus Harris - Leaving
Boye Mafe
Esezi Otomewo

2018 (10)
Daniel Faalele - Leaving
Terell Smith
Brevyn Spann-Ford
Austin Beier - Leaving
Bryce Williams
Braelen Oliver
Thomas Rush
Mariano Sori-Marin
Josh Aune
Nathan Boe

2019 (12)
Tyler Nubin
JJ Guedet
Nnamdi Adim-Madumere
Donald Willis
Trill Carter
Logan Richter
Treyson Potts
Cole Kramer
Mike Brown-Stephens
Solomon Brown
Brady Weeks
Micah Dew-Treadway - Leaving

2020 (21)

Daniel Jackson
Ky Thomas
Jah Joyner
Jaqwondis Burns
Jonathan Mann
Douglas Emilien
Danny Striggow
Jalen Logan-Redding
Martes Lewis
Michael Dixon
Gage Keys
Lucas Finnessy
Aireontae Ersery
Jalen Glaze
Cody Lindenberg
Miles Fleming
Victor Pless
Tyrell Lawrence
Austin Henderson
Mark Crawford
Austin Sullivan

2021 (23)
Athan Kaliakmanis
Steven Ortiz
Mar'keise Irving
Deven Eastern
Cameron James
Saia Mapakaitoio
Lemeke Brockington
Jacob Schuster
Devon Williams
Austin Booker
Brady Boyd
Jameson Geers
Logan Purcell
Justin Walley
Darius Green
Dino Kaliakmanis
Luther McCoy
Will Mobley - Leaving
Matthew Trickett
Karter Shaw
Nyles Pinckney - Leaving
Dylan Wright
Jack Gibbens - Leaving

2022 (15)
Trey Bixby
Anthony Smith
Zach Evans
Ike White
Jacob Knuth
Aidan Gousby
Kristen Hoskins
Rhyland Kelly
Tariq Watson
Coleman Bryson
Jack Pyburn
Tony Nelson
Nathan Jones
Spencer Alvarez
Joey Geriach

Taking into account the 12 confirmed to be leaving after this year for various reasons, we actually have 3 open scholarship slots for this class (79-12+15 = 82). If anyone who has NFL prospects that didn't participate in senior day decides to go to the draft, we'll have more. This is the first time that I can remember not wondering how we'll get under the limit of 85 scholarship players and we should expect at least 3 more to join the team between 2022 recruits and transfers.

Someone correct me if I've got something wrong.
Have you counted players who may have come to the Gophers without a scholarship and then were awarded one....like LeCaptain?

Last edited:

Skip the team's bowl game to play in the Senior Bowl ... then be like "nah just kidding, oop sorry I missed the bowl game skipped out on my teammates!" ? Hmm

As to OP: looks good to me. Would assume with Mafe, Big O, and at least one of JMS/Andries, that's three more, so probably 6-7 slots for new impact transfers from the portal.

Then see who leaves after spring ball, if anyone.

Is Sullivan on scholarship?

Axel Ruschmeyer is on scholarship (I believe) and staying.

I think Cooper and Udoibok were gray shirt to scholarship guys.

LeCaptain I think was awarded a scholarship.
Have you counted players who may have come to the Gophers without a scholarship and then were awarded one....like LeCaptain?

Sullivan shows up on 247 as a transfer (which I assumed meant with a scholarship) and his twitter post does not mention "walk-on" anywhere, so my assumption is yes?
https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2020-Football/Commits/
As far as walk-ons with scholarships, I didn't count them initially because I thought that they were only given it for a year and PJ would have to renew it. Since we don't know if they will get them again, I hadn't counted them. I could list the walk-ons that have gotten a scholarship in the past, but how far back do I go?

Cooper and Udoibok where indeed Gray shirts and they just don't show up properly on 247's yearly commits, but they are counted in the scholarship grid on 247 so I will update.

Last edited:

The Senior Bowl isn’t until February....have the Gophers said they will not be participating in our Bowl game because of that? I understand some guys don’t want to get hurt and may opt out of the Bowl game....but just because they are playing in the Senior Bowl doesn’t mean they won’t play later this month.

How do early enrollees play into this?
I think it only affects which class they could be counted toward? For instance, you could count an early enrollee as from the previous year if there was space?

Sullivan shows up on 247 as a transfer (which I assumed meant with a scholarship) and his twitter post does not mention "walk-on" anywhere, so my assumption is yes?
As far as walk-ons with scholarships, I didn't count them initially because I thought that they were only given it for a year and PJ would have to renew it. Since we don't know if they will get them again, I hadn't counted them. I could list the walk-ons that have gotten a scholarship in the past, but how far back do I go?

I only brought up LeCaptain because the video of him finding out about the scholarship was so memorable.....

I only brought up LeCaptain because the video of him finding out about the scholarship was so memorable.....
I added a list of walk-ons that may get scholarships again. Based on those mentioned so far, Derik and Axel, if they get scholarships again we have 1 open scholarship.

I added a list of walk-ons that may get scholarships again. Based on those mentioned so far, Derik and Axel, if they get scholarships again we have 1 open scholarship.

Thanks for posting it....that would take a lot of work and knowledge. It is much more than I could do and I wasn’t trying to criticize what you did.

Cooper and Udoibok where indeed Gray shirts and they just don't show up properly on 247's yearly commits, but they are counted in the scholarship grid on 247 so I will update.
Sullivan was a walk on at PSU, unsure if he is on scholarship here, but I assume walk ons can transfer without a scholarship.

The Senior Bowl isn’t until February....have the Gophers said they will not be participating in our Bowl game because of that? I understand some guys don’t want to get hurt and may opt out of the Bowl game....but just because they are playing in the Senior Bowl doesn’t mean they won’t play later this month.
You might be right on paper.

Would be curious to know if any FBS guy in the Senior Bowl has also played in the team's lower bowl game (non NY6 or CFP).

Updated with Saia Mapakaitolo's entrance into the portal

Updated with Boyd's entrance into the portal

With all the transfers, it's easy to feel like too many are leaving, but with the 85 person limit coming we needed at least half of these to hit the scholarship limit even with a small class. In fact, PJ said initially that he wanted to have full freshman classes each year and if we look at the numbers, we're actually behind the clip needed for that.

2022: 16 (25 desired)
2021: 18 (21 needed to be on pace)
2020: 20 (17 needed to be on pace)
2019: 13 (13 needed to be on pace)
2018: 8 (9 needed to be on pace)
2017: 5 (0 needed to be on pace)

As you can see, while they are sort of flipped, the total between the 2021 and 2020 classes keep them on pace. 2019 is perfect and 2018 is actually one lower than expected. Without a covid year allowing 5 to come back from 2017, we would need a class of 26 to fill up our slots, however at the moment we could only take 21.

Knowing the success PJ has with the transfer portal, assuming no more departures, I'd expect 1-2 freshman commit and 3-4 transfers to transfer in.

With the new rule (not sure if it's official yet or not), we can have up to 32 new scholarship players for the 2022 season, since we've (easily) met that at least 7 are leaving the program via transfer portal.

With the new rule (not sure if it's official yet or not), we can have up to 32 new scholarship players for the 2022 season, since we've (easily) met that at least 7 are leaving the program via transfer portal.
You can have up to 32 new scholarships in the 2022 class, but you still are capped by a limit of 85 total scholarships. The 32 recruits number helps teams who, because of transfer and other attrition, wouldn’t be able to achieve 85 total scholarships even if they get full 25 person recruiting/transfer classes for 2022. {Yes, there are teams in that situation.}

I think the Gophers, because they had so many super seniors on the team in 2021 (when there was a relaxation of the 85 limit, I believe, because of COVID), have the opposite problem. They had to lose scholarship players just to get a medium-sized 2022 recruiting/transfer class—because of the 85 player cap. I hate losing a few of the transfers who have left this year, such as Boyd (who had upside), but the truth is that the quantum of transfers we have had this season—most of whom weren’t going to be impact players—is essential to get us back in balance to have better numbers in our 2022 recruiting/transfer class. It is a consequence of how many super seniors we retained in 2021.

Top Bottom