Current 2023 Scholarship outlook

Reading the Des Moines Register, I saw an article on Asa Newson. A potential 6’4 200+ linebacker. He mentioned that Nebby Iowa, Iowa State, and Minnesota really garnered his interest - all had offered. Dad’s a college track coach, has brother (DT)red shirting at Nebby. Watching the clips, he is a player. Please PJ, give him the PJ magic. Sign him
Ended up at KSU - glad their program is back to national relevance
Coach Snyder remains an all-time favorite if mine

Updated with Phillip Daniels, Expect at least 5 more players to enter the transfer portal either before the transfer period ends (Jan 19th) or after spring ball.

13 Guys coming in January, so not sure how they are spread across classes. Thought some could be counted toward last year if they enroll early.

13 Guys coming in January, so not sure how they are spread across classes. Thought some could be counted toward last year if they enroll early.
I'm not sure if that matters at the moment since the 25 recruits a year rule is suspended for the next 2 years. I think all that matters at the moment is that you are at or under 85 scholarships by the time Spring football starts. With everyone currently signed we are at 90 scholarships, so at least 5 more need to leave; more if we get a few more transfers.

I'm not sure if that matters at the moment since the 25 recruits a year rule is suspended for the next 2 years. I think all that matters at the moment is that you are at or under 85 scholarships by the time Spring football starts. With everyone currently signed we are at 90 scholarships, so at least 5 more need to leave; more if we get a few more transfers.
5 seems very manageable.

I'm not even sure 85 matters for anything except fall?? Would be interesting to see the exact rules on that.

You're right, my post was wrong. I think I meant to put fall but wrote spring instead lol
To be exact, it's 85 on scholarship once classes start in the fall. You can have more than 85 when fall football practice starts, but once you go to a class, then you have to be at or under the limit.

To be exact, it's 85 on scholarship once classes start in the fall. You can have more than 85 when fall football practice starts, but once you go to a class, then you have to be at or under the limit.
A lot of guys enroll in class in the summer. And you register for fall semester well before the first day of fall semester.

I'm not saying you're technically wrong, but I don't see how they would be able to have 90 guys on scholarship in August and then suddenly be able to take five guys "off" scholarship for Sept.

A lot of guys enroll in class in the summer. And you register for fall semester well before the first day of fall semester.

I'm not saying you're technically wrong, but I don't see how they would be able to have 90 guys on scholarship in August and then suddenly be able to take five guys "off" scholarship for Sept.
As an example, a few years ago LSU's had two QBs fighting for the starting job during fall practice. The person that lost that race transferred to Tulane before classes started. The point is that the exact deadline is when classes start, not when fall practice starts.

Too late... already has multiple visits lined up. 5% chance this late.
Thanks.

Posted it as a reply to another member who mentioned him before he had committed to KSU, per that link, which was updated to reflect his commitment.

As an example, a few years ago LSU's had two QBs fighting for the starting job during fall practice. The person that lost that race transferred to Tulane before classes started. The point is that the exact deadline is when classes start, not when fall practice starts.
Sure.

Of that guy hadn't transferred, then I'm not sure what would've happened. You can't just "cut" scholarships. Especially for guys who got them as freshmen, and so they are guaranteed.

Updated in accordance with the current 2023 roster online. While nothing has been announced yet, Trey Bixby is not on the roster and the rumor is medical retirement. I didn't want to remove him until we got word, but at this point I can always add him back if the rumors are false.

We need 3 more to transfer after spring ball at the moment if we do not add any more. I would expect we do add one or 2 more after spring, so I would expect 5 more to transfer in the Spring transfer window.

In addition, I also counted those with one year left of eligibility and we have 15 at the moment. Assuming they all use their eligibility in 2023, we would need 10 transfers/early draft goers to get to a recruiting class of 25.

Updated with Beanie Bishop's departure

Transfer portal will be active again post-spring ball.

I would not be surprised if there are a handful of guys who go through spring ball here, figure that it's not going to work out one way or another, and leave out.

And so would not be surprised if we don't bring in a couple 2-3 more even in the portal, if there are good guys to get.

Updated with Potts and MBS transferring

Updated with Dylan Wright leaving the team

So, bottom line as of Trill Carter's leaving: we can hit the transfer portal for a few new guys, if we want. We can give scholarships to a few preferred walk-ons, if we want. If a few more leave, we can do both. I hate to see good players leave, but the NCAA scholarship limit means that improvement/additions via the transfer portal must be accompanied by subtractions via the portal. And, in the age of the portal, if PJ wants to keep young developing stars on board, he has to show them that they have a path to playing time (or they will transfer). If it is becoming clear that Eastern or Schuster or McCoy (or transfer Jeffries) will be getting significant snaps at Trill's spot, and Trill doesn't like that, then perhaps it is better if he does move on. If a player sours on the program, or vice-versa, I have no regrets about that player leaving. We bring in new talent who want to be in this program.

Last edited:

Top Bottom