Current 2023 Scholarship outlook

Fyi, you can just post the link to the tweet instead of the embedding code, the forum software is smart enough to convert it on its own.

Embed code is a legacy of the days of internet past...
Ah, cool, I'm also a legacy of the past .......

Expanding on the above from memory:

4* Transferring in:
Filega - contributed, all conference
Carroll - contributed and hopefully big 2023
Wright - contributed and hopefully big 2023
Pinckney - contributed
St. Juste - contributed, all conference, in the NFL

4* Transferring out:
Irving - contributed
Dunlap - contributed
Ortiz - did not contribute
Brown - did not contribute here nor MI State

That's a net addition of three 4* that contributed. That Tweet fails to mention that for some reason. Awesome job PJ!
And Irving transferred out for NIL $$$. Not PJ’s fault we don’t have booster bagmen to match Phil Knight at Oregon.

Updated with Austin Booker leaving

They were not considered 4* equivalents as transfers.

But that is just as subjective, if not more, than giving high school players ratings in the first place.
Yet none of those would be Fleck's best incoming transfer. That distinction belongs to no star Linebacker Jack.

And Irving transferred out for NIL $$$. Not PJ’s fault we don’t have booster bagmen to match Phil Knight at Oregon.
I bet if somehow Potts and Ibrahim had decided that they were both going to retire or otherwise end their Gopher careers after the 2021 season, that Irving would've "somehow" found a way to stay.

We would've gotten him some money. Probably easily enough to help move his family out of the bad neighborhood. It wouldn't have been Oregon money, no, but it would've been something decent, and he would've been the 2022 starter.

I think being stuck behind Potts in particular, was a bigger factor to Irving than he let on. The money was also important I'm sure, but I doubt it was the sole reason.

(Wild guessing, of course)

I bet if somehow Potts and Ibrahim had decided that they were both going to retire or otherwise end their Gopher careers after the 2021 season, that Irving would've "somehow" found a way to stay.

We would've gotten him some money. Probably easily enough to help move his family out of the bad neighborhood. It wouldn't have been Oregon money, no, but it would've been something decent, and he would've been the 2022 starter.

I think being stuck behind Potts in particular, was a bigger factor to Irving than he let on. The money was also important I'm sure, but I doubt it was the sole reason.

I think the $$ is a bit overblown at this point. I agree that had MO and Potts not come back, they would have stayed. It's more about playing time. Now they showed how good they were, so I'm sure schools were calling and it didn't take much $$ to leave.

Irving transferred out because Mo Ibrahim came back.

Irving transferred out because Mo Ibrahim came back.
I'd say that is true for Ky Thomas. Multiple factors with Irving, one of which is rumored to be $250K in NIL--which is a big factor.

If both retired or left, and our NIL collective found the kid some money, you are probably right. But Irving's rumored concern for his mother's living situation, which could be alleviated with some money, was a factor, I have to believe.

If both retired or left, and our NIL collective found the kid some money, you are probably right. But Irving's rumored concern for his mother's living situation, which could be alleviated with some money, was a factor, I have to believe.
For sure. I only said I don't believe it was the only factor.

By the way FWIW, I believe there is a two-year hiatus on the rule saying you can only sign 25 new players to scholarships per year. Because of how fast things are changing with the portal, and guys coming up on the end of extra covid eligibility, they just said "F it, as long as you have 85 or less guys on scholarship each season .... sign as many as you want".

Updated with Braelon Oliver leaving. Down to 82 Scholarships next year, expecting 2-3 more HS recruits to commit before the signing date.

But now the tweet is deleted? So did he decommit?

Hope there isn't a lot of drama with this kid (unless he is gone). Maybe he has another program in his sights, with a recommit tweet keyed up and ready in case he gets the prized offer.

Updated with Henderson and Kingsbury

Updated with TJ McWilliams, we currently need 2 transfers to get to 85 scholarships next year.

Updated with Kenric Lanier's commit. I think we will be going over 25 incoming recruits/transfers once all is said and done at this point.

Top Bottom