Current 2023 Scholarship outlook

swelna

Reaction score
TL;DR Expect to see another 3 additional transfers into the program before next season in addition to the 19 that have already left.

I made a similar thread last December to keep track of how many scholarship players the team had total and see what the remaining recruiting picture might be. This is the current list of scholarship players for 2023:

2017 (1)
Chris Autman-Bell (2023 final year)

2018 (3)
Brevyn Spann-Ford (2023 final year)
Bryce Williams (2023 final year)
Nathan Boe (2023 final year)

2019 (6)
Tyler Nubin (2023 final year)
JJ Guedet (2024 final year)
Logan Richter (2024 final year)
Cole Kramer (2024 final year)
Brady Weeks (2023 final year)
Tyler Cooper (2024 final year)

2020 (11)
Daniel Jackson (2024 final year)
Jah Joyner (2025 final year)
Danny Striggow (2024 final year)
Jalen Logan-Redding (2025 final year)
Martes Lewis (2025 final year)
Lucas Finnessy (2024 final year)
Aireontae Ersery (2025 final year)
Cody Lindenberg (2025 final year)
Victor Pless (2025 final year)
Tyrell Lawrence (2025 final year)
Mark Crawford (2024 final year)

2021 (11)
Athan Kaliakmanis (2025 final year)
Deven Eastern (2025 final year)
Lemeke Brockington (2025 final year)
Devon Williams (2025 final year)
Jameson Geers (2025 final year)
Logan Purcell (2025 final year)
Justin Walley (2024 final year)
Darius Green (2025 final year)
Dino Kaliakmanis (2025 final year)
Luther McCoy (2025 final year)
Karter Shaw (2023 final year)

2022 (19)
Anthony Smith (2026 final year)
Zach Evans (2026 final year)
Aidan Gousby (2026 final year)
Kristen Hoskins (2026 final year)
Rhyland Kelly (2026 final year)
Tariq Watson (2026 final year)
Coleman Bryson (2026 final year)
Tony Nelson (2026 final year)
Nathan Jones (2026 final year)
Spencer Alvarez (2026 final year)
Joey Gerlach (2026 final year)
Ashton Beers (2026 final year)
Cade McConnell (2026 final year)
Hayden Schwartz (2026 final year)
Maverick Baranowski (2026 final year)
Quinn Carroll (2024 final year)
Darnell Jefferies (2023 final year)
Jacob Lewis (2025 final year)
Kyler Baugh (2023 final year)

2023 (21)
Jerome Williams (2026/7 final year)
Darius Taylor (2026/7 final year)
Marquese Williams (2026/7 final year)
Zaquan Bryan (2026/7 final year)
Donielle Hayes (2026/7 final year)
Greg Johnson (2026/7 final year)
Martin Owusu (2026/7 final year)
Kerry Brown (2026/7 final year)
Karter Menz (2026/7 final year)
Reese Tripp (2026/7 final year)
Sam Peters (2026/7 final year)
Drew Viotto (2026/7 final year)
Pierce Walsh (2026/7 final year)
Alex Elliott (2026/7 final year)
De'Eric Mister (2026/7 final year)
Garrison Monroe (2026/7 final year)
Theorin Randle (2026/7 final year)
Matt Kingsbury (2026/7 final year)
TJ McWilliams (2026/7 final year)
Kenric Lanier (2026/7 final year)
Phillip Daniels (2026/7 final year)

Transfers (10)
Corey Crooms (2023 final year)
Ryan Selig (2023 final year)
Elijah Spencer (2024 final year)
Jack Henderson (2024 final year)
Chris Collins (2023 final year)
Sean Tyler (2023 final year)
Rowan Zolman (2025/2026 final year)
Tre'von Jones (2023/2024 final year)
Craig McDonald (2024/2025 final year)
Tyler Bride (2024 final year)

We currently will have 51 scholarship players returning next year. With the current recruiting class of 21 and 10 transfers, that would leave us at 82 scholarships, meaning we need 3 transfers in to get to the scholarship limit.

That also doesn't take into account any walk-ons that were given scholarships. These are the walk-ons that'll be here in 2023 that have previously gotten scholarships:

Walk-ons with eligibility left who were awarded scholarships in the past who may get one again (2)
Derik LeCaptain (2024 final year)
Dragan Kesich (2024 final year)

Last edited:

Reading the Des Moines Register, I saw an article on Asa Newson. A potential 6’4 200+ linebacker. He mentioned that Nebby Iowa, Iowa State, and Minnesota really garnered his interest - all had offered. Dad’s a college track coach, has brother (DT)red shirting at Nebby. Watching the clips, he is a player. Please PJ, give him the PJ magic. Sign him

Reading the Des Moines Register, I saw an article on Asa Newson. A potential 6’4 200+ linebacker. He mentioned that Nebby Iowa, Iowa State, and Minnesota really garnered his interest - all had offered. Dad’s a college track coach, has brother (DT)red shirting at Nebby. Watching the clips, he is a player. Please PJ, give him the PJ magic. Sign him

Here’s his recruiting profile-

The numbers will work themselves out before the start of next season.
I know they will, but it's nice to have perspective. Last year people were worried about all the transfers but most had to happen to get under the scholarship number. I just wanted to give the same perspective this year as we approach transfer season

I know they will, but it's nice to have perspective. Last year people were worried about all the transfers but most had to happen to get under the scholarship number. I just wanted to give the same perspective this year as we approach transfer season
Thanks for the detailed info. It's gotta be really hard to be a coach not knowing exactly who may be leaving and how many slots you can use.

Keeps the off-season interesting.

Will the Transfer Portal addition and subtractions go in the Gophers' favor next season?

I wish that MJ Anderson and Brady Boyd had stayed. Kyle Thomas and Mar' Keise Irving were bound to transfer for separate reasons.

I think the portal shakes up the low-hanging and rotting fruits. Sometimes some good ones fall off.

Of course, but how it works out is always interesting to track.
Yeah, roster movement these days is crazy. I mean when you watch a game on TV it almost always seems like you hear the broadcasters mentioning where a player transferred in from.

14 players on the list with next year (2023) as their last year. Seems big, but that's probably due to the extra COVID year + injuries? How many players have their last season this year?

14 players on the list with next year (2023) as their last year. Seems big, but that's probably due to the extra COVID year + injuries? How many players have their last season this year?
10ish

I always wonder how many 4-Star/5-Star recruits turn out to be duds.

Yes, great job! I wouldn't be surprised if we had a similar number of outbound transfers as last year. Fleck very likely wants to shore up some positions through the portal.

Updated with:

Senior Day participants (I know it doesn't mean they are leaving for sure, but I took it to mean that for now)
Theorin Randle commit
Markus Allen transferring in
Jalen Glaze and Gage Keys transferring out (I know Jalen isn't confirmed, but not being on the roster is telling).

We are at 86 Scholarships right now, meaning we only need one more to transfer out to get to the limit. However, I expect this number to change as more transfers/recruits are added and potentially having walk-ons receive scholarships.

Updated with Ortiz and James transferring out, we are now under the scholarship limit for next year, but seem to be in the running for a few more HS recruits, so expect the number to fluctuate above and below the limit.

I always wonder how many 4-Star/5-Star recruits turn out to be duds.

I saw a tweet recently - can't find it again, of course - claiming that half of all the 4* recruits under Fleck have transferred out.

from memory, the list included Curtis Dunlap Jr, Steven Ortiz, Itayvion Brown and Bucky Irving.

maybe some of the recruitniks on here can add to this.

I saw a tweet recently - can't find it again, of course - claiming that half of all the 4* recruits under Fleck have transferred out.

from memory, the list included Curtis Dunlap Jr, Steven Ortiz, Itayvion Brown and Bucky Irving.

maybe some of the recruitniks on here can add to this.
Saw the same tweet, we've also had former 4* recruits transfer in and perform, so I think that would offset it a bit.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">P.J. Fleck has signed 10 4⭐️ recruits (according to 247sports) as head coach of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Gophers</a>.<br><br>40% of them have transferred:<br>- Curtis Dunlap Jr.<br>- Itayvion Brown<br>- Bucky Irving<br>- Steven Ortiz Jr. <a href="https://t.co/LGNqZ2m3e4">pic.twitter.com/LGNqZ2m3e4</a></p>&mdash; Tony Liebert (@TonyLiebert) <a href="">November 29, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Saw the same tweet, we've also had former 4* recruits transfer in and perform, so I think that would offset it a bit.

2 of the 4 recruits that transferred out didn't perform (Brown and Ortiz). So if 4 recruits transferred in and helped the team, that's a net positive.

Expanding on the above from memory:

4* Transferring in:
Filega - contributed, all conference
Carroll - contributed and hopefully big 2023
Wright - contributed and hopefully big 2023
Pinckney - contributed
St. Juste - contributed, all conference, in the NFL

4* Transferring out:
Irving - contributed
Dunlap - contributed
Ortiz - did not contribute
Brown - did not contribute here nor MI State

That's a net addition of three 4* that contributed. That Tweet fails to mention that for some reason. Awesome job PJ!

Swelna: thank you for all the work on your original post. Much appreciated.

4* Transferring in:
Pinckney - contributed

4* Transferring out:
Irving - contributed
Dunlap - contributed

That's a net addition of three 4* that contributed. That Tweet fails to mention that for some reason. Awesome job PJ!

Yes indeed! Why post only the transfers OUT? It doesn't do a good job of telling the entire story at all.

Yes indeed! Why post only the transfers OUT? It doesn't do a good job of telling the entire story at all.
it was in response to someone wondering how many 4* recruits turned out to be "duds." as noted above, several of the 4* recruits who left the Gophers did not have great careers at MN.

It's not a knock on Fleck. it's just pointing out that some highly-rated recruits don't pan out as expected.

4* Transferring in:
Pinckney - contributed

4* Transferring out:
Irving - contributed
Dunlap - contributed

They were not considered 4* equivalents as transfers.

But that is just as subjective, if not more, than giving high school players ratings in the first place.

There should be two big windows of action. Right after the season, for maybe a month?

And then after Spring Ball starts finishing and guys realize where they likely will be in the pecking order come fall camp.

Would definitely think we'll still try to add some transfers in the spring. (Every year)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">P.J. Fleck has signed 10 4⭐️ recruits (according to 247sports) as head coach of the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Gophers</a>.<br><br>40% of them have transferred:<br>- Curtis Dunlap Jr.<br>- Itayvion Brown<br>- Bucky Irving<br>- Steven Ortiz Jr. <a href="https://t.co/LGNqZ2m3e4">pic.twitter.com/LGNqZ2m3e4</a></p>&mdash; Tony Liebert (@TonyLiebert) <a href="">November 29, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Fyi, you can just post the link to the tweet instead of the embedding code, the forum software is smart enough to convert it on its own.

Embed code is a legacy of the days of internet past...

Top Bottom