Creativity on game days

Mvgopher

Reaction score
When can we do something creative as a fan base for games. Example, Boise State has a color scheme for almost every game dependent upon section. Can we not pull this off? Gold for the even sections and maroon for odd on august 29 vs the Rebs? There will be few UNLV fans.

Would we need to paint the empty seats?

"Creativity on game days"

1. If you are not at the game, follow the chat room.
2. If you enter Predict the Score Contest, read any and all comments after the Commissioner announces the winner.
3. It is too late for "Mid July Car Trunk Warm Blatz Light" so drink to your heart's content.

If we had any marketing, any creative people at the U, or any initiative it would be in the works and announced. Here is a no brainer. If you sit in a seat that is painted yellow as Part of MINNESOTA you wear a gold t shirt or sweatshirt. If you are in a maroon seat........... Now if the computer lab was put to use you could Script Golden Gophers on the opposite side. Match the Gold to the script and Maroon to the background. Print the color on the tickets. The message could change. Based on a specific opponent or trophy game. It would take time scripting and notifying, but that could be done in the summer.

These things can't happen without a dedicated fan base. Support for the gophers is lukewarm at best. Also, the best traditions just kinda happen on there own without someone trying to think something up to foist on an unwilling group of people.

If we had any marketing, any creative people at the U, or any initiative it would be in the works and announced. Here is a no brainer. If you sit in a seat that is painted yellow as Part of MINNESOTA you wear a gold t shirt or sweatshirt. If you are in a maroon seat........... Now if the computer lab was put to use you could Script Golden Gophers on the opposite side. Match the Gold to the script and Maroon to the background. Print the color on the tickets. The message could change. Based on a specific opponent or trophy game. It would take time scripting and notifying, but that could be done in the summer.

Nice idea, but you are talking a out a fan base that is 0 for 5 on something as easy as a "Gold Out".

Nice idea, but you are talking a out a fan base that is 0 for 5 on something as easy as a "Gold Out".

On first glance I would totally agree with that statement, but it got me thinking...

How easy is it really to find something all gold to wear for gameday? We look at how Iowa can do "black-outs" and Penn State can do "white-outs" and we can't do something similar, but think about it. The two most common colors in the spectrum, white and black. That tells me three things: 1) they're generally cheap, 2) universal, and 3) easy to find; you can buy inexpensively large quantities of just white or black undershirts in bulk, or if you don't want to go that route one could probably find a shirt already in their wardrobe (not necesarily team-related) and use that to the same effect. Not that I'm saying the other fanbases aren't that loyal, but it just seems way easier.

Specifically relating to our fanbase, sure you can find gold Gopher apparel in spots around town, but I've always noticed that there's a much higher abundance of maroon gear than gold, and at this juncture in the program a lot of the common folk don't seem to want to throw down the extra bucks to purchase an official gold Gopher shirt or sweatshirt, especially during the season when the prices usually get marked up. And can you guys think of a lot of non-Gopher apparel in maroon and/or gold colors? Also, taking those things into consideration, I can't think of how wearing all maroon for a game could be marketable, i.e. a "maroon-out", "sea of maroon", etc.

I think eventually with the development of a traditionally successful program, some of these issues won't matter when it comes to having a "gold-out", but I feel like, for us, certain things make it more an uphill battle, you know?

Creativity would be something unique that a group does on the spur of the moment, resulting in more and more people joining in. Planning something creative is not creative.

Do you remember Crazy George and the introduction to "The Wave"? That, originally, was creative.

Send out a $6 shirt with tickets or have TCF donate. It isn't that difficult if there's a plan and momentum. I do wish the students would lead. I'll pay for the student's tuition for the year if they could initiate and make it stick this year. Student section needs to be full.

Send out a $6 shirt with tickets or have TCF donate. It isn't that difficult if there's a plan and momentum. I do wish the students would lead. I'll pay for the student's tuition for the year if they could initiate and make it stick this year. Student section needs to be full.

Its not the students you need to worry about. They wear plenty of gold. Its the people like dpo and others who are either stubborn, and just won't do it, or its the old people that even if you put it in the tickets and do a media blitz for 3 weeks ahead of time will show up and be like what??

The only way to do it would be to provide a shirt on each seat, and the U is waaay to cheap to do that, and I don't see any sponsors lines up in the street to offer their $100,000 for shirts anytime soon. (50k shirts at minimum $2 a pop) (insert joke about 50k attendance here)

Please, I beg of you, give up the color coordinated crowd. Even if we executed, which we never will, it really isn't that great. Iowa did similar to Boise a few years ago with color coded sections and so what? It was kind if cool and now what? It's played out. It's the opposite of creative.

Get local businesses around the U in on it. Have them offer a maroon/gold shirt discount on game days. Free soft drink with the purchase of a burger or $2 frozen margarita or 7% off the total bill or whatever for anyone sporting the correct color team apparel. Not only does it help spread the word, but it also can drum up business for local shops depending on the deal they offer.

You can also tie it to a cause, much like pink is the breast cancer awareness color or yellow is livestrong (both not great examples, I'll admit, but they are well-known). For each $5 maroon Gopher shirt you buy, $1 goes to the local Boys & Girls Club / Food Bank / Battered Women's Shelter / Wounded Warrior group. Or, bring a canned food item or gently used winter coat to the game and get &1 off a maroon Gopher shirt.

Also, who says you have to have a single t-shirt sponsor if you were giving away shirts for everyone? Have a sponsor for each section and announce each sponsor during a timeout and have that section all stand up and cheer. Have ushers toss out coupons or footballs or whatever to the fans cheering the loudest.

yellow is livestrong (both not great examples, I'll admit, but they are well-known).

Lance Armstrong disappointed everyone, but the livestrong foundation is a solid organization.

I'm picking nits, you once again offered more than should be expected from a visitor.

Please, I beg of you, give up the color coordinated crowd. Even if we executed, which we never will, it really isn't that great. Iowa did similar to Boise a few years ago with color coded sections and so what? It was kind if cool and now what? It's played out. It's the opposite of creative.

For once I completely agreed with you.:)

Bring back the Card Section.

FWIW I agree with Buddylee

I don't think the [Color] Out improves the gameday atmosphere or the homefield advantage significantly - and that's not necessarily the purpose. Sure, a player looking up at the stands may better be able to see the unified support from home fans, but that could also backfire if more of the visiting team's fans show up than the home team's (*cough* Baylor *cough*). It's a novelty to those in the stadium, at best. It's more for the outside world to see.

40116.jpg

One thing it does is to give you that iconic stadium photo that can be used for marketing the football program to fans and recruits. It makes a statement that you have a serious football program and your stadium is a great place to play. No recruit or prospective fan is wowed by empty seats and fans that can't even wear the team's colors (*cough* Baylor *cough*).

white1js9.gif

- versus -

20080912_01.jpg

The other thing it does is build a buzz around town. 50,000 Gopher fans headed to the game on Saturday (or even wearing their colors to watch the game from home or the bar) are going to be going out to eat, walking around town, getting their oil changed, and a million other things. I'm sure you know when the Vikings are playing without looking at a schedule because you will see a sea of purple shirts in bars and restaurants. By getting every Gopher fan to wear their colors on Saturday, people in town will begin to take notice. Having people show up in whatever t-shirt happened to be at the top of their drawer doesn't help advertise the team (I'm not even going to be subtle anymore, this is Baylor).

tumblr_lwpqjyPA1z1qfkop6o1_500.jpg

Now, I'll admit that colored shirts are just about the last thing from being unique. However, I do think it falls under the category of creativity because you are looking for a solution to raise awareness and the profile of your football team, and a town full of $5 maroon shirts sure could help that more than any badly-drawn billboard.

It's also an easy first step to unifying the fanbase. If you can tackle coordinating shirts, you can move on to bigger projects such as improving tailgating, new cheers or traditions, or any of the other things people here are wanting to improve.

Besides, which looks cooler (5 second photoshop, sorry for the quality):

TCF_Bank_Stadium_large.jpg

- versus -

8En8ggn.jpg

I don't think the [Color] Out improves the gameday atmosphere or the homefield advantage significantly - and that's not necessarily the purpose. Sure, a player looking up at the stands may better be able to see the unified support from home fans, but that could also backfire if more of the visiting team's fans show up than the home team's (*cough* Baylor *cough*). It's a novelty to those in the stadium, at best. It's more for the outside world to see.

40116.jpg

One thing it does is to give you that iconic stadium photo that can be used for marketing the football program to fans and recruits. It makes a statement that you have a serious football program and your stadium is a great place to play. No recruit or prospective fan is wowed by empty seats and fans that can't even wear the team's colors (*cough* Baylor *cough*).

white1js9.gif

- versus -

20080912_01.jpg

The other thing it does is build a buzz around town. 50,000 Gopher fans headed to the game on Saturday (or even wearing their colors to watch the game from home or the bar) are going to be going out to eat, walking around town, getting their oil changed, and a million other things. I'm sure you know when the Vikings are playing without looking at a schedule because you will see a sea of purple shirts in bars and restaurants. By getting every Gopher fan to wear their colors on Saturday, people in town will begin to take notice. Having people show up in whatever t-shirt happened to be at the top of their drawer doesn't help advertise the team (I'm not even going to be subtle anymore, this is Baylor).

tumblr_lwpqjyPA1z1qfkop6o1_500.jpg

Now, I'll admit that colored shirts are just about the last thing from being unique. However, I do think it falls under the category of creativity because you are looking for a solution to raise awareness and the profile of your football team, and a town full of $5 maroon shirts sure could help that more than any badly-drawn billboard.

It's also an easy first step to unifying the fanbase. If you can tackle coordinating shirts, you can move on to bigger projects such as improving tailgating, new cheers or traditions, or any of the other things people here are wanting to improve.

Besides, which looks cooler (5 second photoshop, sorry for the quality):

TCF_Bank_Stadium_large.jpg

- versus -

8En8ggn.jpg

Aggie, nicely done!

On first glance I would totally agree with that statement, but it got me thinking...

How easy is it really to find something all gold to wear for gameday? We look at how Iowa can do "black-outs" and Penn State can do "white-outs" and we can't do something similar, but think about it. The two most common colors in the spectrum, white and black. That tells me three things: 1) they're generally cheap, 2) universal, and 3) easy to find; you can buy inexpensively large quantities of just white or black undershirts in bulk, or if you don't want to go that route one could probably find a shirt already in their wardrobe (not necesarily team-related) and use that to the same effect. Not that I'm saying the other fanbases aren't that loyal, but it just seems way easier.

Specifically relating to our fanbase, sure you can find gold Gopher apparel in spots around town, but I've always noticed that there's a much higher abundance of maroon gear than gold, and at this juncture in the program a lot of the common folk don't seem to want to throw down the extra bucks to purchase an official gold Gopher shirt or sweatshirt, especially during the season when the prices usually get marked up. And can you guys think of a lot of non-Gopher apparel in maroon and/or gold colors? Also, taking those things into consideration, I can't think of how wearing all maroon for a game could be marketable, i.e. a "maroon-out", "sea of maroon", etc.

I think eventually with the development of a traditionally successful program, some of these issues won't matter when it comes to having a "gold-out", but I feel like, for us, certain things make it more an uphill battle, you know?

^ THIS. I have been looking for gold shorts and gold sweatpants forever. I have been to the end of the internetz and back and still nothing. Not even from little kids in China. Why is that part so hard? How can I properly dress for a gold out without gold shorts, sweats or cod piece? c'mon Goldy's. Get it in gear.

And get the gear in. My polka dot socks need some dang gold shorts. :mad:

^ THIS. I have been looking for gold shorts and gold sweatpants forever. I have been to the end of the internetz and back and still nothing. Not even from little kids in China. Why is that part so hard? How can I properly dress for a gold out without gold shorts, sweats or cod piece? c'mon Goldy's. Get it in gear.

And get the gear in. My polka dot socks need some dang gold shorts. :mad:

You obviously haven't been looking very hard:

http://www.bookstores.umn.edu/viewProduct.cgi?categoryID=3&productID=24065#.UhJGoj_KHNo

http://soccer.epicsports.com/prod/46245/teamwork-adult-youth-north-shore-sweatpants.html

Getting different sections to wear a certain color might be cool, that's a more coordination that we can expect from this fan base. A Gold Out would be a more realistic agenda. I suspect that most people who attend games aren't even aware what a Gold Out is. If you want people to repeat an activity, keep that activity as consistent as possible. Making the home opener the Gold Out game keeps it consistent: you always know when the Gold out is. The home opener will also likely be warm weather. Later in the year, the weather might be cold, and when it cold people are more likely to wear maroon, because Gopher sweaters and jackets are more likely to be maroon than to be gold.

Just make it a tradition: Gold Out for the home opener.

I remember they used to do a deal at the Dome, where for the 1st home game of the season, all season-ticket holders received a free gold long-sleeved t-shirt at the stadium.

Did they discontinue this? (I have at least two of those shirts in my dresser at home - try to wear them on Saturdays.)

I should be more specific. I want MN sweatpants, not just gold ones.

As to the shorts, they need to be b-ball shorts. Those look like middle school gym shorts. I can guarantee none of you wants to go to the lot on saturday mornings and try to eat your breakfast looking at my knees and the outline of my man-squadron.

Just saying.

Thanks for doing the research, though. :)

Top Bottom