Crean is getting as tired of this IU team as the fans

Honestly in Basketball with the right coach Minnesota absolutely has the potential to be one of the best jobs in the Big Ten. There is a lot of local basketball talent so unlike football you actually can find top talent in state to build your ream around. The new facilities are coming and it appears we may finally have an administration that is willing to pay coaches.

This could absolutely be a very attractive job now and into the future. Fans need to stop assuming that the moment someone has any success they are going to bolt, if you look at our history it happened with Holtz but it has not happened with very many other coaches yet people act like we are in the MAC where coaches get poached all the time.

MN is under-rated. Can certainly be one of the top 5-6 in the conference. It's not better than Indiana. Not in 2017 anyway.

MN is under-rated. Can certainly be one of the top 5-6 in the conference. It's not better than Indiana. Not in 2017 anyway.

I agree that Indiana would still be seen as a better job I just don't think the gap in basketball is nearly as large as it is in say football. There is nobody in the Big Ten that I look at and say we have very little shot at competing with and even beating on a regular basis in basketball. On the flip side in football, the odds of us truly competing year in and year out with the likes of Ohio State and Michigan is very slim. We just can't get the same level of players that they can on a year to year basis.

As I typed that line above a newsflash from Yahoo pops up on my phone saying Jim Harbaugh just hired the parent of a highly coveted 2019 QB to his staff....I am sure the guy got the job solely based on his coaching ability.

He will be included in lists for every job, most of which are far worse than MN because that's how we are perceived nationally.

Which jobs was Tubby included in the list for that were "far worse than MN"?

It is a more prestigious job but not a better job. I like the Minnesota job more as the upside is higher. Your spot on that the competition for the top is much more attainable than football and not like fighting Duke and Carolina in the ACC is. Minnesota may have the right coach, time will tell. Hope that is the case because i am sick of the 60 year search which is why he had to be given this year and next year

With the right coach Indiana is a powerhouse. Wasn't too long ago they were #1 for most of the year (or at least part). You've got IU players all over the NBA. I love MN but we'd all be geeked to have a top 20 type team 3-4 years in a row. IU can realistically hope to have a top 5-10 team over 3-4 years

yes, with the right coach your right but they have burned many bridges and the fan base and alumni are insufferable. If they get Marshall they would be top 10 nearly every year. For someone that wants to build their own program that becomes their legacy the Minnesota job can be just like the UW job in how that kind of success is appreciated. At IU they are just out of touch in thinking it is final 4 or bust. At Minnesota top 4 in the conference with regular visits to the sweet 16 and you will be considered the best coach in in school history.

yes, with the right coach your right but they have burned many bridges and the fan base and alumni are insufferable. If they get Marshall they would be top 10 nearly every year. For someone that wants to build their own program that becomes their legacy the Minnesota job can be just like the UW job in how that kind of success is appreciated. At IU they are just out of touch in thinking it is final 4 or bust. At Minnesota top 4 in the conference with regular visits to the sweet 16 and you will be considered the best coach in in school history.

Good point regarding expectations. Haven't their been rumors of boosters trying to buy out Crean for a couple of years now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, those jobs aren't "far worse" than MN, if they're even worse at all.

I mean Va Tech has been to one NCAA tournament in 20 years, and no matter what you do there you will always be second fiddle to Duke and UNC in the conference.

I don't think I had yet obtained a drivers license the last time Auburn made the tournament, and there you have Kentucky in the same conference. Plus, football will always be king at Auburn.

On top of that, both have major D1 in-state competition for recruits.

The only benefits I see to either of those jobs are lower expectations (though not much different than here) and easier admissions standards.

Yeah, those jobs aren't "far worse" than MN, if they're even worse at all.

Granting that 'far worse' is subjective, yes they are. Take VT. Blacksburg is in BFE. They have about 2 NCAA appearances in 30 years. They're the 3rd-4th best team in their state in a good year (ignoring Georgetown, MD, NC, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, TN, Vandy, WVU, etc. are all just across the border). And they're an afterthought to football and don't draw.

Most of the same apply to Auburn.

Top Bottom