Crazy thought on a new AD

4four4

Reaction score
What do you guys think of Matt Birk? His career is winding down.

I don't know what to think of that. He is a Harvard guy and not a U of M guy (not that being a U grad is a prerequisite) but I've never heard any suggestions that being an AD is either something (a) that he would want to do or (b) be any good at.

He might have good potential. He is very well connected and liked in the business community so fund-raising and donations could be great under him. He is smart, business saavy, and a sports minded guy. He obviously knows football and might have some good ideas on improving and developing our program to make more money for the department. I also think he would get along great with the administration. I'm just not sure how it would all relate to an AD job, or if he would want it. My gut tells me he might be intrigued by it.

name the last retired multi millionaire football player that took a 60 hour/week job that pays him what he made in one game while playing in the nfl. if its his old school, maybe 3-5 years down the line. he's set financially, for life. what about Molitor? hall of famer but was very unlucky with the time that he played. meaning if he would be playing now a days he'd be making $20 mill/season. i'm sure he's not broke, by no means but he seems like the type of guy thats been out of the game for a while now and he might enjoy the challenge. just a thought.

name the last retired multi millionaire football player that took a 60 hour/week job that pays him what he made in one game while playing in the nfl. if its his old school, maybe 3-5 years down the line. he's set financially, for life. what about Molitor? hall of famer but was very unlucky with the time that he played. meaning if he would be playing now a days he'd be making $20 mill/season. i'm sure he's not broke, by no means but he seems like the type of guy thats been out of the game for a while now and he might enjoy the challenge. just a thought.

I think Dungy is more realistic for the AD job. I don't think that will happen, but more likely.

There are reasons that Molitor did not advance very far in the coaching business. I like him as much as the next guy but not a chance. Birk ... as stated ... down the road maybe but don't see in next 10 yrs.

Former jocks without any formal management experience don't make good ADs. If you've never had to manage a budget or dealt with employee issues before, you are not ready to be an AD.

Correct, getting your first management position as the AD of a BCS program is a death wish for the program, (see Paul Giel's legacy as AD. Despite the fact he was a great player and great person, he was not a great AD). Birk might be samrt enough to do it without prior experience, but there is no reason he would want to. Tony D has told us every way but self-immolation that he is not moving back to Minnesota, so please give it up. It gets real old to hear nonsense suggestions about Dungy.
He has had all of the total commitment sports jobs he wants, he is interested in other things.

Former jocks without any formal management experience don't make good ADs. If you've never had to manage a budget or dealt with employee issues before, you are not ready to be an AD.

Birk's degree is Economics.

A degree in economics isn't formal management experience. Not saying that he couldn't do it but the two aren't the same thing.

I agree. I was just pointing out his degree. Sporting news ranked him the 6th smartest pro athlete.

How about Kim Kardashian? She knows a lot about athletes and certainly wouldn't hurt recruiting.

Well, that certainly is crazy. Jury's still out on whether it qualifies as a thought.

Birk is a private school guy...not sure he'd even have interest in serving the public. Plus, I've never been sold on the whole genius thing. Sure he went to Harvard and he's probably in the top 2% of the NFL in terms of intelligence, but I'd like to see him handle a real job with real intellectual responsibilities before I hand over the sports program to him.

Birk is a private school guy...not sure he'd even have interest in serving the public. Plus, I've never been sold on the whole genius thing. Sure he went to Harvard and he's probably in the top 2% of the NFL in terms of intelligence, but I'd like to see him handle a real job with real intellectual responsibilities before I hand over the sports program to him.

Lol, Joel Maturi is a private school guy too! Since when is making six-figures managing sports teams "serving the public?"

Didn't Birk bail on the Vikings for a season where he admitted he could have played because they didn't tear up his contract and give him a new one? We do not need 'me first, team second' egomaniacs running our ath dept.

Didn't Birk bail on the Vikings for a season where he admitted he could have played because they didn't tear up his contract and give him a new one? We do not need 'me first, team second' egomaniacs running our ath dept.

I think he left because of Childress more than any other factor.

I'm not sure how involved he was in his restaurants, but if you can't manage a glorified Applebee's, you're probably not up to overseeing a Big 10 athletic department.

The next UofM AD is currently in his 6th or 7th year of being a successful AD at some mid-major school. Neither you, nor I have ever heard of him, but he is doing a hell of a job raising money, hiring coaches as well as marketing people, and getting students and alumni excited about their athletics department. His background is in football and has an impressive degree in marketing from some school out east.

Really? You guys want a first-time AD running your Gophers??

The next UofM AD is currently in his 6th or 7th year of being a successful AD at some mid-major school. Neither you, nor I have ever heard of him, but he is doing a hell of a job raising money, hiring coaches as well as marketing people, and getting students and alumni excited about their athletics department. His background is in football and has an impressive degree in marketing from some school out east.

BOOM! Just cracked a dozen eggs of knowledge on everyones head right there. God I hope this is how it pans out anyway.

He was willing to play through the injury and potentially risk the rest of his career if the Vikings would guarantee that one year of salary. They said no and he got the surgery which turned out to be a great decision.

Sadly, you're saying that the ideal candidate is Joel Maturi...:eek:

Ugh. As I was reading this article I couldn't help but think the same thing though - if only we could hire someone who was an assistant AD at a place that successfully rebuilt, and even better if he was a successful AD at a mid-major afterward. Then it dawned on me that what I described was exactly Joel Maturi's background.

I do agree it's the right way to go, but hopefully with more emphasis on revenue sports...

Sadly, you're saying that the ideal candidate is Joel Maturi...:eek:

Ugh. As I was reading this article I couldn't help but think the same thing though - if only we could hire someone who was an assistant AD at a place that successfully rebuilt, and even better if he was a successful AD at a mid-major afterward. Then it dawned on me that what I described was exactly Joel Maturi's background.

I do agree it's the right way to go, but hopefully with more emphasis on revenue sports...

Joel has a degree in marketing? Wow, it's great to learn something new everyday.

Good point. The last former jock AD we had moved us to the metrodome. That worked out sooo well for us:rolleyes:

Top Bottom