Craig Smith

One of the unfortunate things about this job is to me what makes it attractive. We have had very little recent success but yet still don't fire guys. I think of someone like Cronin who took UCLA, sure thats a better job than Cincinnati but they also think they are a top 5 program and Cronin essentially had a lifetime job at Cincy.

Also 2 out there names I'd at least consider, Alford, hes had success at big schools and in the Midwest. And also Bryce Drew. Dont let the Vandy record fool you, that is a TERRIBLE job and had he not had guys like Garland , Mitu and Nesmith get hurt he'd be there still. Add on the fact his brother has built a monster in Baylor of all places.

He has to make the Tourney to keep his job. They are in a two week free fall of big losses.
But his buyout is over $2 million. How till they afford that during a pandemic?!?!? :cool:

They look at things differently there.
And therein lies the problem with success at MN in mens BB.........fans expectations are one direction and the willingness of leadership to do what is necessary to win is another.

Pretenders.

And therein lies the problem with success at MN in mens BB.........fans expectations are one direction and the willingness of leadership to do what is necessary to win is another.

Pretenders.

Hence why this is currently a very tough job. Coyle's working his way there. Some fat is being trimmed, but he's stepping up and paying football and getting more and more resources for them. This can be done in basketball too, but it will take someone dynamic.

Hence why this is currently a very tough job. Coyle's working his way there. Some fat is being trimmed, but he's stepping up and paying football and getting more and more resources for them. This can be done in basketball too, but it will take someone dynamic.
Its not a tough job if the decision makers agree they want top notch sports. If they dont want/care about that or wont commit to top notch sports, we as fans are pretending right along with the decision makers.

Again, what resources are missing for BB? HC salary? Assistants salaries? New arena?

Surely Coyle can project ROI on spending additional $$ to assist in making his case?

Someone dynamic? Meaning for the HC? If so, am I correct in understanding you support Smith and Medved and believe they are dynamic and could take the program to where fans believe it should be?

The Athletic Department took a financial hit this year, still has debt from the Village, and is not certain what the status of income from football will be next year so I doubt very much that Santa will even look at your lists this year.
But wouldn't Mountain West coaches take what Pitino is due to be paid from us already, maybe a bit less to start?

if the intent of firing Pitino is to ignite an immediate resurgence of interest in the program.
In my worthless opinion, that should be the least important goal in firing Pitino.

It should be about bringing in someone to start over from scratch and build the program up into a winner, like Wisconsin does.

If you look at Coyle's hires, he's made big splashes in football, hockey and women's basketball in terms of name recognition with those fanbases. Of the 3 Moutain West guys only Dutcher might fit that profile (and that's a stretch) given his dad's history at Minnesota, but if any of the 3 made a deep tournament run this year they could significantly raise their profile.
PJ Fleck was a big splashy hire .... from the MAC?

Why is that a great hire (and let's be honest, only because the 2019 season worked out so well, otherwise he hasn't done anything really great here), but hiring a bball coach from the Mountain West would be a disappointment, in that regard? Honest question.

Sadly, I think there are two reasons a school focuses on guys with connections to it. The first is to use it as a tiebreaker between a lot of good interested candidates. The second is because you hope it puts you in the conversation for candidates who normally would be above what you expect to hire.

The second is where our program is at now.
Maybe also because it might be that those three, with their local connections, would want to be at Minnesota and make the program special. Not just use it as a stepping stone to some other place they want to be.

DeVries at Drake. 17 - 0. Without Rollins
Doesn't look like they've played too tough of a schedule. Missouri Valley down this year? They haven't played Loyola-Chicago yet, which might be the only other contender for the league title.

DeVries is from rural northern Iowa, played at U of Northern Iowa, then was an assistant at Creighton for 17 seasons before becoming head coach at Drake.

Wonder if he would be against coming to Minnesota. I mean, a Big Ten job is a Big Ten job. Omaha is only right across the border though. He really hasn't strayed too far from the state of Iowa.

Its not a tough job if the decision makers agree they want top notch sports. If they dont want/care about that or wont commit to top notch sports, we as fans are pretending right along with the decision makers.

Again, what resources are missing for BB? HC salary? Assistants salaries? New arena?

Surely Coyle can project ROI on spending additional $$ to assist in making his case?

Someone dynamic? Meaning for the HC? If so, am I correct in understanding you support Smith and Medved and believe they are dynamic and could take the program to where fans believe it should be?

It's a tough job because it doesn't have the support (money, fandom, amenities, etc...) in numerous ways like many other B1G universities do. Here is a link that is a couple years old, but it's a shared sentiment around the conference of where this job currently stands. The practice facility helps. We don't pay our coaches that much either as Richard is currently ranked 10th in salary. I think Coyle has found ways to spend and get money from tight pocketed donors, but it takes someone better than Richard. I think he's worth the buyout personally, but I'm not paying it so it's easy for me to say.

I do find Craig Smith to be more dynamic than Niko at this juncture for many reasons I've stated for quite awhile. Niko is however continuing to grow and get better. I think either of them does better than Richard is doing here (not hard).

I'm getting a little kick out of all the trying to guess what all these other coaches might be thinking and trying to project what we believe they should be thinking in terms of leaving their current situation to jump into another (our) situation.

Kinda like when we try to project our feelings into the head of a random 18 year old basketball prospect when they are deciding where to go to college and why. :giggle:

I'm getting a little kick out of all the trying to guess what all these other coaches might be thinking and trying to project what we believe they should be thinking in terms of leaving their current situation to jump into another (our) situation.

Kinda like when we try to project our feelings into the head of a random 18 year old basketball prospect when they are deciding where to go to college and why. :giggle:
Isn't this one of the fundamental reasons for the existence of these internet message boards?? :cool:

It's a tough job because it doesn't have the support (money, fandom, amenities, etc...) in numerous ways like many other B1G universities do. Here is a link that is a couple years old, but it's a shared sentiment around the conference of where this job currently stands. The practice facility helps. We don't pay our coaches that much either as Richard is currently ranked 10th in salary. I think Coyle has found ways to spend and get money from tight pocketed donors, but it takes someone better than Richard. I think he's worth the buyout personally, but I'm not paying it so it's easy for me to say.

I do find Craig Smith to be more dynamic than Niko at this juncture for many reasons I've stated for quite awhile. Niko is however continuing to grow and get better. I think either of them does better than Richard is doing here (not hard).
I feel like the biggest disadvantage is the relative lack of football revenue for a Power 5 school. That's why PJ's ability to grow that end of things will float all the boats in the athletic department.

But wouldn't Mountain West coaches take what Pitino is due to be paid from us already, maybe a bit less to start?
This. They all make $500K-$1 million. I think 6 years $12 million gets any of them. The idea that we have to pay $3+ million/year is silly unless we're talking Beilein or Musselman.

I feel like the biggest disadvantage is the relative lack of football revenue for a Power 5 school. That's why PJ's ability to grow that end of things will float all the boats in the athletic department.
Well, the big thing with football is the TV money. That's the real revenue growth for most of the lower Big Ten programs.

Sure, if he could get it to consistently sold out TCF, and at higher ticket prices to boot, that would be something. I think that will be a tough task to do, if you can only achieve sporadic great seasons, which I'm not sure any coach in the country could do significantly better here given all the colossial barriers to entry there are to take a program into the elite tiers. But we'll see

Well, the big thing with football is the TV money. That's the real revenue growth for most of the lower Big Ten programs.

Sure, if he could get it to consistently sold out TCF, and at higher ticket prices to boot, that would be something. I think that will be a tough task to do, if you can only achieve sporadic great seasons, which I'm not sure any coach in the country could do significantly better here given all the colossial barriers to entry there are to take a program into the elite tiers. But we'll see
TCF would have been very close to capacity at every home game sans pandemic this past season. It's really a shame they lost all that potential revenue from coming off the 2019 season.

Fleck is still growing his program, despite a losing season. There are definitely signs that the program is getting stronger. There are at least three definite sell-out games on the upcoming schedule if we can get herd immunity in time. Even if the stands have more red than maroon. Ohio State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin are all but certain sell-outs.

Hard to say any good about the basketball team looking ahead. Any or all of the players could transfer and we have no idea who could transfer in. Pitino at least provides a presence to provide stability to the roster but he doesn't draw talent or coach that talent up like Fleck.

Fandom? There are no more dedicated fans than MN Gopher Mens BB, if that is what you reference. And, a winning team really increase the off again fans. Seen it with my own friends.
Amenities? Such as? A brand new practice/training facility exists. Perhaps I am missing something? Do you feel a new arena is required to win?
When you get to coaches salaries, an established coach - someone fans would love - will cost the most. Certainly Coyle understands that fact. The staff of an established coach will cost the most. Again, either you want/commit to this option, or you dont. Dont pretend you do when you really dont. And I am guessing coaches salaries will not be decreasing, may not go up drastically either.
And if I understand you correctly you are saying MN does not have the commitment currently. Thats ok, just dont pretend you are all in on your BB program when you are not. Be honest with your fanbase.
We all know it takes a lot of $$, and if Richard is the hindrance as you suggest, Coyle must move on. That also tells me Coyle has known for some time he isn't going to be able to draw $$ unless RP wins consistently or Coyle makes a move. So, really, perhaps the performance issues lie with the AD and the fanbase is ripping RP over and over - deserved to an extent, and Coyle deserves the same.

If any potential coaching candidate needs a new arena to be successful, he is not Good enough to coach here.

Fandom? There are no more dedicated fans than MN Gopher Mens BB, if that is what you reference. And, a winning team really increase the off again fans. Seen it with my own friends.
Amenities? Such as? A brand new practice/training facility exists. Perhaps I am missing something? Do you feel a new arena is required to win?
When you get to coaches salaries, an established coach - someone fans would love - will cost the most. Certainly Coyle understands that fact. The staff of an established coach will cost the most. Again, either you want/commit to this option, or you dont. Dont pretend you do when you really dont. And I am guessing coaches salaries will not be decreasing, may not go up drastically either.
And if I understand you correctly you are saying MN does not have the commitment currently. Thats ok, just dont pretend you are all in on your BB program when you are not. Be honest with your fanbase.
We all know it takes a lot of $$, and if Richard is the hindrance as you suggest, Coyle must move on. That also tells me Coyle has known for some time he isn't going to be able to draw $$ unless RP wins consistently or Coyle makes a move. So, really, perhaps the performance issues lie with the AD and the fanbase is ripping RP over and over - deserved to an extent, and Coyle deserves the same.

As far as a fandom/fan base we are second fiddle compared to most B1G schools at this time. That can change and is getting better. The twin cities metro area loves basketball and will jump to a winner. We haven’t had that.

The practice facility is awesome and it was huge need. There are other things like dorms, chartered flights, and many other things (many we cannot control and some I’m sure we could). We are not behind as bad as we were previously and I give a ton of credit to Coyle on that.

The arena is not favored by kids because we haven’t won enough. If it’s not rocking in there, most young folks just think it’s a dump. The other issue with Williams is it’s not a revenue maker because it doesn’t have all the suites and things that other places do. The urban university setting is for everyone too.

It will take the right guy. This job is just harder than most currently, but I believe he’s out there.

As far as a fandom/fan base we are second fiddle compared to most B1G schools at this time. That can change and is getting better. The twin cities metro area loves basketball and will jump to a winner. We haven’t had that.

The practice facility is awesome and it was huge need. There are other things like dorms, chartered flights, and many other things (many we cannot control and some I’m sure we could). We are not behind as bad as we were previously and I give a ton of credit to Coyle on that.

The arena is not favored by kids because we haven’t won enough. If it’s not rocking in there, most young folks just think it’s a dump. The other issue with Williams is it’s not a revenue maker because it doesn’t have all the suites and things that other places do. The urban university setting is for everyone too.

It will take the right guy. This job is just harder than most currently, but I believe he’s out there.
Are the MN dorms horrible, or are others new?
Which schools in the Big BB charter flights?
Which other things?

Fans would be beating the door down if the team was winning.

We certainly do not have the fandom even if winning that Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Cuse, Winning closes part of that huge gap. Hell, even if demand soared and my seats at Williams doubled they would be cheap compared to the same seats at UVA,Louisville etc.. UNC has hardcore fans from all over. Facilties are on par with many but a ton of kids think Williams is a dump. Others are impressed. Building a new one is not a option. A great coach would win with what we have.Just because we offer a great coach 5 million does not mean he would come here. And we will not be offering that. We can find one for far less.

Well, I experienced the FF run first hand, and all that went with it. The very casual fan was crowded around the TV, cheering like crazy. My friends, who always gave me grief for following the GOPHIES so closely were the first ones to the party.

Badger is now wanting to compare Kansas(cheaters), UK, LVille(cheaters) and the Boeheims to MN!!!!! When it suits his agenda. Wild Willy Self continues on his merry way, as does the fighting Millers in AZ! And who can forget Go HEELS!!! Just wow, Badger. What do all these programs have in common? CHEATING and Badger using them as examples of top programs.

There are so few truly great coaches, according to Badger, and there is no question one can be brought to MN for far less than 5 million annually. Possible? Always. Probable? No, if we take Badgrs own word.

Hmm.......

Are the MN dorms horrible, or are others new?
Which schools in the Big BB charter flights?
Which other things?

Fans would be beating the door down if the team was winning.

Fran McCaffery will never have an article written about gas and rental cars is an example. When the university is the center of the town sports wise, it just creates a different donor base. Creating a fanbase that is rabid will take time, but I do agree with you that a winner will grow it and could grow it rather quickly. Pitino isn't that guy imo and we both agree with that.

Fran McCaffery will never have an article written about gas and rental cars is an example. When the university is the center of the town sports wise, it just creates a different donor base. Creating a fanbase that is rabid will take time, but I do agree with you that a winner will grow it and could grow it rather quickly. Pitino isn't that guy imo and we both agree with that.
TC media love to expose and promote every negative thing about the MN BB and FB programs, and have for decades. I agree the metro setting can be a negative, however what is Coyle doing to counter that item?

My question is why does the media love to promote all the negatives at the U?

Isn't this one of the fundamental reasons for the existence of these internet message boards?? :cool:

I guess it’s always seemed weird for me to try and get inside the head of somebody I don’t know and point out all the factors that should make them take one action or the other when it’s impossible for me to know if any of the factors I consider to be important even rank in their top 20 important factors for consideration. And then, actually get upset or at least disappointed when those people don’t respond in the way I so carefully and reasonably pointed out that they should. It just seems like such a pointless and time consuming waste of brain power.

Umm Yeah, :rolleyes: kinda like I’m actually doing with this post I guess. #Irony

Top Bottom