Craig Smith

TC media love to expose and promote every negative thing about the MN BB and FB programs, and have for decades. I agree the metro setting can be a negative, however what is Coyle doing to counter that item?

My question is why does the media love to promote all the negatives at the U?

Media is profit based and our culture and society like the negatives. We also haven't given them a ton of positive things to write about lol. Coyles countered it by hiring PJ Fleck (Great media hype guy), Motzko (wins a ton and is quiet, so they can't exploit), and Whalen (Taboo to write negative about her). We can and have gone round and round about this, but firing a coach with a buyout over a million dollars isn't up to one person at this university.

Well, I experienced the FF run first hand, and all that went with it. The very casual fan was crowded around the TV, cheering like crazy. My friends, who always gave me grief for following the GOPHIES so closely were the first ones to the party.

Badger is now wanting to compare Kansas(cheaters), UK, LVille(cheaters) and the Boeheims to MN!!!!! When it suits his agenda. Wild Willy Self continues on his merry way, as does the fighting Millers in AZ! And who can forget Go HEELS!!! Just wow, Badger. What do all these programs have in common? CHEATING and Badger using them as examples of top programs.

There are so few truly great coaches, according to Badger, and there is no question one can be brought to MN for far less than 5 million annually. Possible? Always. Probable? No, if we take Badgrs own word.

Hmm.......
We do not have fandom like UW, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, not cheaters

Media is profit based and our culture and society like the negatives. We also haven't given them a ton of positive things to write about lol. Coyles countered it by hiring PJ Fleck (Great media hype guy), Motzko (wins a ton and is quiet, so they can't exploit), and Whalen (Taboo to write negative about her). We can and have gone round and round about this, but firing a coach with a buyout over a million dollars isn't up to one person at this university.
I agree, and have agreed consistently.

That said, the U should just be honest about it. Tell fans they are doing what they can, etc etc. If you are not willing to buy out a coach because of $$, say so. Dont pretend otherwise.

If MN lacks the chartered flights, etc etc say so. Be up front about it.

Most fans tend to believe competition is level, when it really is not. Been saying the playing field is not level for decades, and your many posts on these subjects confirm it for me.

We do not have fandom like UW, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, not cheaters
There is a significant difference in UW, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois to your previously mentioned schools in terms of success. Stop playing games. You cited examples of programs that are KNOWN cheaters!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

You went down the path with the UNC, UK, KU, etc etc to start and NOW change greatly!!! BADGER.

There is a significant difference in UW, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois to your previously mentioned schools in terms of success. Stop playing games.

You went down the path with the UNC, UK, KU, etc etc to start and NOW change greatly!!! BADGER.
Just as it relates to passionate and large fanbases. You threw out the first group but you can not throw out the second. I have been here for all of it, some good a ton of bad. We built a football stadium that holds 50,000 and rarely sell out. As someone pointed out we are not in the upper tier of fandoms in the conference. We can disagree without any slights.

There is a significant difference in UW, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois to your previously mentioned schools in terms of success. Stop playing games. You cited examples of programs that are KNOWN cheaters!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Cheating or no cheating he is still correct though as those fan bases and many others so have a larger and more passionate fan base than Minnesota.

Just as it relates to passionate and large fanbases. You threw out the first group but you can not throw out the second. I have been here for all of it, some good a ton of bad. We built a football stadium that holds 50,000 and rarely sell out. As someone pointed out we are not in the upper tier of fandoms in the conference. We can disagree without any slights.
So why'd you start with a list of cheaters, badger?

Could you provide a link to the metrics you use to determine "fandom" at each Big 10 university?

Cheating or no cheating he is still correct though as those fan bases and many others so have a larger and more passionate fan base than Minnesota.
Does cheating to win impact fandom?

Does cheating to win impact fandom?
Winning impacts fandom. The facilities impacts fandom. The media impacts fandom. So on and so on. Those programs have been more successful than us for a variety of reasons.

Winning impacts fandom. The facilities impacts fandom. The media impacts fandom. So on and so on. Those programs have been more successful than us for a variety of reasons.
If they didnt cheat they may not win and have the titles they have - would be a huge impact. Minimize it if you want.

And, your boy Gard played Davison even after multiple dirty plays on other teams. Cheating at its finest.
Gard is not my boy. I have crucified Davison on the occasions he has played out of line.

Where is your response on the programs that do not cheat ?
Many have greater fan bases than MN. I haven't said otherwise.

1. Why did you start with winning teams that are known cheaters? I think that is very telling, badger. And it tells a much, much greater story as well......

2. You were silent on Davison UNTIL a bunch of posters and posts called him out on his garbage. And, some called out Gard for not doing ANYTHING about REPEATED instances of Davison antics. GARD was as much at fault as the lil feller. First time he should have been sat for a game. Next time a few games. GARD let him play until he had no choice.

3. Those first programs you called out - the cheaters who you so despise - were the first on your list. Even though you despise cheating!!!!! You were calling out the WINNING programs, and they win a great deal due to CHEATING. And if they were consistently hammered and hamstrung like MN has been for decades, they would have won a lot LESS, and their fandom would be much LESS.

Item 3 is really instructive regarding MN, coaches, and success on the court.

It's important to acknowledge that it wasn't long ago when Wisconsin football and basketball was mediocre or just plain bad. I grew up in Madison in the 70s and 80s. Badger basketball was a joke, and a definite little brother to hockey when it came to fan interest (hockey was a national powerhouse, and truly great entertainment at the Coliseum). Badger football was average for 30 years after their '63 Rose Bowl, and abysmal for the 6 years before Alvarez brought the program back from the dead. There were thousands upon thousands of empty seats in Camp Randall and the Fieldhouse in those days, but what cured both programs ills was hiring the right chancellor, who hired the right AD, who hired the right coaches, who began winning. Period. Minnesota fans aren't different from Wisconsin fans or fans from anywhere else: their fandom is inspired by winning. Wisconsin's keystone programs have done that over the last 30 years, Minnesota's have not.

Many have greater fan bases than MN. I haven't said otherwise.

1. Why did you start with winning teams that are known cheaters? I think that is very telling, badger. And it tells a much, much greater story as well......

2. You were silent on Davison UNTIL a bunch of posters and posts called him out on his garbage. And, some called out Gard for not doing ANYTHING about REPEATED instances of Davison antics. GARD was as much at fault as the lil feller. First time he should have been sat for a game. Next time a few games. GARD let him play until he had no choice.

3. Those first programs you called out - the cheaters who you so despise - were the first on your list. Even though you despise cheating!!!!! You were calling out the WINNING programs, and they win a great deal due to CHEATING. And if they were consistently hammered and hamstrung like MN has been for decades, they would have won a lot LESS, and their fandom would be much LESS.

Item 3 is really instructive regarding MN, coaches, and success on the court.
What about the teams that won titles and hand fulls of conference titles. Other posters have zero influence on how i feel about Davison. Your just hating on all programs that win, defining your own standard of cheating. You made the comment about fandom here. Not that great. Other coaches, basketball analysts do not think Gard is a cheater for playing Davison. We gave a scholarship to a thug and a serial sex offender. Is that cheating ? What is your problem with people having their own opinions without slights, putdowns or made up accusations because of how you see things.

It's important to acknowledge that it wasn't long ago when Wisconsin football and basketball was mediocre or just plain bad. I grew up in Madison in the 70s and 80s. Badger basketball was a joke, and a definite little brother to hockey when it came to fan interest (hockey was a national powerhouse, and truly great entertainment at the Coliseum). Badger football was average for 30 years after their '63 Rose Bowl, and abysmal for the 6 years before Alvarez brought the program back from the dead. There were thousands upon thousands of empty seats in Camp Randall and the Fieldhouse in those days, but what cured both programs ills was hiring the right chancellor, who hired the right AD, who hired the right coaches, who began winning. Period. Minnesota fans aren't different from Wisconsin fans or fans from anywhere else: their fandom is inspired by winning. Wisconsin's keystone programs have done that over the last 30 years, Minnesota's have not.
Acknowledge it ! I posted it several times here about how Bucky had a faithful 5000 and that's it. It was a morgue but the 5000 were in do or die. I was there when they decided to hire Pat Richter who knew how to hire coaches and knew who to talk to and to trust. He reached out to coaches and contacts to find a true builder in basketball. Winning matters but hiring the right coach is the only way to do it. UW was in even worse share than here. But he held his donors, they sold out basketball before the winning took hold because anyone could see the foundation. He was a master at networking, he was really bright. The difference in fandom is not that great but college towns are often very different. Many fill stadiums, have vibrant atmospheres surrounding gameday. We have a 50,000 seat stadium. Even when we are average we fall way behind in donors. My seats at Williams are peanuts compared to my seats at other programs and i bought before they were winners. We have debt on a beautiful facility. When we reshuffled seats for donation levels a lot of people went away. More have left since 2013. This is a pro town first. There is no doubt that winning helps. Starts with hiring people that win. For the record, i still support the U and did not even go to school there. I much prefer the college game.

What about the teams that won titles and hand fulls of conference titles. Other posters have zero influence on how i feel about Davison. Your just hating on all programs that win, defining your own standard of cheating. You made the comment about fandom here. Not that great. Other coaches, basketball analysts do not think Gard is a cheater for playing Davison. We gave a scholarship to a thug and a serial sex offender. Is that cheating ? What is your problem with people having their own opinions without slights, putdowns or made up accusations because of how you see things.
1. Why did you start with winning teams that are known cheaters? Why did you then pivot away from those teams and avoid this question?
2. Defining my own standards? Nope. What do you call a coach that allows a player to continue playing when their repeated on court actions has the real potential to injure an opponent?
3. Hating on all programs that win? Again, YOUR first list on this topic was FILLED with programs that YOU have said are CHEATERS. And YOU have repeatedly said YOU DESPISE cheaters, not the way you were raised, etc. Yet your own response, first response, was filled with CHEATING TEAMS!!!!! And now you attempt to spin away from YOUR OWN list!!!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
4. Lots of BB analysts made their comments about Davison and his actions as the lil feller was in the heart of his dirty plays. I am willing to bet a paycheck the coaches of the opposing teams would disagree with your assessment. And I bet they were very unhappy with Gard, as he allowed the garbage to continue. Of course the coaches have to be PC.
5. You love to say "its just my opinion". Now, others cant have opinions!!! BADGER determines what is an opinion and what isn't!! Cant make it up.

For someone who despises cheating so badly, your initial response is very telling, badger. You might fool some, you dont fool me.

Anthony Grant should be the first call made to see if he is interested.
Yup. Hes the first call....then Wes Miller. Then Medved & Smith.
Would also reach out to some assistant coaches on their way up as well.
Neptune at Nova.
Howard at Kansas

Yup. Hes the first call....then Wes Miller. Then Medved & Smith.
Would also reach out to some assistant coaches on their way up as well.
Neptune at Nova.
Howard at Kansas

I'd be curious to why you'd be interested in Miller over Smith or Medved? I like Miller, but he has no ties to the B1G and his winning percentages aren't incredibly higher than Medved and Smith who coach in a tougher conference.

I like guys who've been HC's before over assistants in most cases, but if we went that route I really wouldn't stray from the B1G either. I'd look at Fife, Ostrom, Krabbenhoft, or Stephens.

Last edited:

I'd be curious to why you'd be interested in Miller over Smith or Medved? I like Miller, but he has no ties to the B1G and his winning percentages are incredibly higher than Medved and Smith who coach in a tougher conference.

I like guys who've been HC's before over assistants in most cases, but if we went that route I really wouldn't stray from the B1G either. I'd look at Fife, Ostrom, Krabbenhoft, or Stephens.
maybe i worded that wrong.... i would call all three of Miller/Smith/Medved....no particular order. The ties to the midwest that Smith and Medved have would be great. I have just been on Wes for awhile and think his style can work here as well. I do think if we wuld offer either Medved or Smith they would take the job in a heartbeat and i would be excited about the hires.

I'd be curious to why you'd be interested in Miller over Smith or Medved? I like Miller, but he has no ties to the B1G and his winning percentages aren't incredibly higher than Medved and Smith who coach in a tougher conference.

Agreed. I don't know much about him, but his resume is not better than Smith or Medved and he has no local/regional ties as they do.

Top Bottom