CRAB - Who steps up?

MennoSota

Reaction score
Assuming the worst, that Chris Autman-Bell is out for awhile, who is the wide receiver or wide receivers that step up and make the most of the opportunity to play?

This is a really good team that is positioned perfectly to make some serious noise this season. An excellent coaching staff. A team that can pass effectively, but does not need to rely on the pass. They have a quarterback who is the epitome of the terms "veteran" and "leader".

To Daniel Jackson, Mike Brown-Stephens, Dylan Wright, Clay Geary, Lemeke Brockington, et al... I would say, "Gentlemen: opportunity knocks!"

This is a really good team that is positioned perfectly to make some serious noise this season. An excellent coaching staff. A team that can pass effectively, but does not need to rely on the pass. They have a quarterback who is the epitome of the terms "veteran" and "leader".

To Daniel Jackson, Mike Brown-Stephens, Dylan Wright, Clay Geary, Lemeke Brockington, et al... I would say, "Gentlemen: opportunity knocks!"
We are going to need to rely on the pass, as the box is going to be stacked going forward.

We are going to need to rely on the pass, as the box is going to be stacked going forward.

I think you're dead wrong there. This team will be able to run against anybody. Teams have stacked the box against us throughout the Fleck era, and we still run it down their throats.

We can throw — and we will — but this team's identity is the run.

The problem with losing CRAB is that you are losing a strong outside guy that demands help over the top in man situations. Also 6 years in the program, a physical run blocker with good size, etc.

Wright #1. MBS needs to step up. We have no idea what Daniel Jackson will look like with a higher usage rate and increased snaps plus coming off an injury. Brockington looks promising. Geary needs to play like a veteran.

This is a huge opportunity for each of those guys. My feeling: one or more of them will step up. There is definitely some talent there.

With such low usage it’s really hard to even tell how talented our wrs actually are. Wright and Jackson certainly have the pedigree to produce more than they have to date.

That's the KC game. Punish them for stacking the box, run when they're spread.

I think you're dead wrong there. This team will be able to run against anybody. Teams have stacked the box against us throughout the Fleck era, and we still run it down their throats.

We can throw — and we will — but this team's identity is the run.
You improve your run game by keeping the defense honest.

Passing the ball is crucial in Lansing. They have a stout run defense but a weak secondary. We can’t be one dimensional next weekend.

It will fall on the group collectively, but Daniel Jackson should gain the most opportunity from this injury.

Ryan Burns points out that MBS & Clay Geary have been slot receivers #1 & #2 this season, while Daniel Jackson's return last week saw him only play outside (i.e. CAB's position).

My guess is we'll see Daniel Jackson starting in place for CAB, with MBS in the slot & Dylan Wright at his usual spot against Michigan St.

People forget Daniel Jackson was a 4* recruit, and is a playmaker. He's been held back first by youth/inexperience, then by injuries, but if he's finally healthy....this could be his time to break out.

Last edited:

The problem with losing CRAB is that you are losing a strong outside guy that demands help over the top in man situations. Also 6 years in the program, a physical run blocker with good size, etc.

Wright #1. MBS needs to step up. We have no idea what Daniel Jackson will look like with a higher usage rate and increased snaps plus coming off an injury. Brockington looks promising. Geary needs to play like a veteran.
It should not be minimized how much we will miss CrAB in blocking!
I think MSB will step up followed by Jackson! Not sold on Wright being more than a random big play guy!
I am very sad to lose CrAB! Sending him lots of love!!❤

Top Bottom