Coyle to be Extended to 2030

Basketball people are the ones who dislike him. Naturally, as those sports have done the worst among the higher attendance sports.

Maybe it's just ignorance on my part not knowing how all the revenue junk works, but it's very frustrating constantly hearing how there's no money in the athletic department while simultaneously cashing massive checks from TV deals.

Maybe it's just ignorance on my part not knowing how all the revenue junk works, but it's very frustrating constantly hearing how there's no money in the athletic department while simultaneously cashing massive checks from TV deals.
The handful of profitable sports subsidize the rest, which range from slight loss to hemorrhaging massive piles of cash. The massive TV deals are needed just to break even for almost all athletic departments nationwide, and it's only getting worse with the NIL nonsense.

I've warmed up to Coyle.

After he came around a lot of gameday stuff improved, I felt like social media, videos, became WAY more professional and consistent. I've heard of other improvements within the department, and at a university that's no small feat, change is hard and just being the AD doesn't mean you're department dictator and everyone does what you say.

I also appreciate that in the age of declining professional behavior when it comes to ADs, Coyle seems to remain professional, even if just because he's not as much a limelight guy as some are.

The AD job is weird, a very small part of what they do impact us as fans in any way outside when they pick a coach or are involved in such things .... but man that's all fans want to judge them on.

Basketball people are the ones who dislike him. Naturally, as those sports have done the worst among the higher attendance sports.
Disagree
People who still think Tracy Claeys should be the coach are the ones that hate him the most. Though I agree men’s hoops fans hate him second most.

Not sure Coyle ever says these things
He did just recently cut sports. He also spins that we are doing NIL the right way in defense of no money…like many questions he spins and doesn’t answer.

I've warmed up to Coyle.

After he came around a lot of gameday stuff improved, I felt like social media, videos, became WAY more professional and consistent. I've heard of other improvements within the department, and at a university that's no small feat, change is hard and just being the AD doesn't mean you're department dictator and everyone does what you say.

I also appreciate that in the age of declining professional behavior when it comes to ADs, Coyle seems to remain professional, even if just because he's not as much a limelight guy as some are.

The AD job is weird, a very small part of what they do impact us as fans in any way outside when they pick a coach or are involved in such things .... but man that's all fans want to judge them on.
He rarely speaks and when he does…he very professionally says nothing. He is poor at fundraising. Athletes Village or anything else.
But ya, there also are good things.

He did just recently cut sports. He also spins that we are doing NIL the right way in defense of no money…like many questions he spins and doesn’t answer.
That's how large business and sports work. Hell that is how politics and the world works for good or bad.

I'm a bigger Coyle supporter than most. To me he feels like the first AD we've had in a while who really wants to win and win big.

Pros:
PJ Hire
Motzko Hire

Cons:
Not a great fundraiser/not a very charismatic guy - best kept away from the microphone.

I am of the belief that he was more or less forced to hire Ben Johnson. If it really was his choice, put that in the cons column for now.

He rarely speaks and when he does…he very professionally says nothing. He is poor at fundraising. Athletes Village or anything else.
But ya, there also are good things.
I don’t understand most of your posts in this thread. They are strange.

But I’ll ask: What would be the measuring stick for good at fundraising at the U?

Fundraising is a strange topic, AD's who I've seen declared to be "good at fundraising" are from places that already raise a ton of funds. We even hired an AD who was supposedly great at fundraising once ... didn't work out.

I'm a bigger Coyle supporter than most. To me he feels like the first AD we've had in a while who really wants to win and win big.

Pros:
PJ Hire
Motzko Hire

Cons:
Not a great fundraiser/not a very charismatic guy - best kept away from the microphone.

I am of the belief that he was more or less forced to hire Ben Johnson. If it really was his choice, put that in the cons column for now.
I'm a supporter as well. However, I believe my email to fire Claeys was the final straw in his decision. I do feel like he is the first AD we've had that isn't a puppet to the administration and is allowed to support the athletes and coaches. I feel he does a great job of that. Now he's looking to take on a potential new basketball arena and seek funding if that is the direction. Chances of doing worse with someone else is higher than doing better, IMO.

financial details from the Strib:

Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle will receive a two-year contract extension through June of 2030 and an annual raise of $324,000, pending Board of Regents approval at its meeting next Thursday and Friday.

Coyle, 55, has been with Minnesota since 2016 and will make $1.4 million annually under the contract's new terms. His raise, effective upon approval, will not be vested or paid immediately; most of the increase will vest on June 30, 2026, and be paid as an enhanced longevity bonus. Coyle will continue to receive step increases of 2.5% to 3% or merit pool increases, whichever percentage is larger.

Coyle's annual average salary of $1.4 million will remain in the top third of Big Ten athletic directors.

The buyout terms for terminating the contract without cause for both Coyle and the university have been amended.

If the university terminates the contract on or before June 30, 2028, it will owe Coyle 100% of the base salary through the full term of employment had it continued.

If Coyle terminates the contract on or before June 30, 2026, he will pay 100% of the base salary through the full term of the contract. If Coyle terminates between July 1, 2026, and June 30, 2028, he will pay the university $1 million.

If a termination occurs between July 1, 2028, and June 30, 2030, neither party would be entitled to a termination/buyout fee.

Coyle will continue to receive supplemental retirement contributions of $150,000 with increases of $5,000 each year. The new contract extends the contributions for two years.

I'm a supporter as well. However, I believe my email to fire Claeys was the final straw in his decision. I do feel like he is the first AD we've had that isn't a puppet to the administration and is allowed to support the athletes and coaches. I feel he does a great job of that. Now he's looking to take on a potential new basketball arena and seek funding if that is the direction. Chances of doing worse with someone else is higher than doing better, IMO.
What about Coyle's past performance makes you think he'll be good at fundraising for a new basketball arena?

Pros:
PJ Hire
Motzko Hire

Cons:

Cons would have also been the Whalen hire. "Not a great fundraiser" is putting it kindly. His fundraising has essentially been zero.

Steep for an administrator that doesn’t have to survive and thrive in a “real” economic market. His main feat is avoiding scandals and avoiding direct responsibility.

In short, these salaries are ridiculous.

Cons would have also been the Whalen hire. "Not a great fundraiser" is putting it kindly. His fundraising has essentially been zero.
Yeah but I could at least understand the justification for the Whalen hire - didn't work out in hindsight but was a popular move at the time. Agreed on fundraising.

What about Coyle's past performance makes you think he'll be good at fundraising for a new basketball arena?
Did I say that? I said it looks like he's taking it on. ...and the administration seems to support him by extending him. He'll be the one.

Yeah but I could at least understand the justification for the Whalen hire - didn't work out in hindsight but was a popular move at the time. Agreed on fundraising.
Yes, but this is a results based business. He makes a ton of money. It's not his job to make the "popular" hire. He needs to make the hire that is in the best interest of the University.

Did I say that? I said it looks like he's taking it on. ...and the administration seems to support him by extending him. He'll be the one.
Do you have confidence he will be able to do that? He's raised $0 for the athletes village in how many years here? Our only hope is if he asks the legislature for money and they step up. But anyone can do that.

Yes, but this is a results based business. He makes a ton of money. It's not his job to make the "popular" hire. He needs to make the hire that is in the best interest of the University.
I duno man, we've seen schools walk right up to almost hire people and not after a negative response from fans.

And let's be honest, NOBODY knows what the results of a hire will be. Scott Frost was big time home run type hire ... so was Tom Herman ...

Interesting that our AD’s salary is in the top third of the conference while most of our coaches’ salaries are in the bottom half.

+1

If the job was to make an offer to a popular name, I could do that. Identifying someone who has the right skills to succeed here is why we pay money for a senior executive to do it.

The goal is to win games and championships, not press conferences (which he also struggles at).

Do you have confidence he will be able to do that? He's raised $0 for the athletes village in how many years here? Our only hope is if he asks the legislature for money and they step up. But anyone can do that.
He’s raised 0 dollars for the athletes village?
If he’s raised 0 dollars for the athletes village, what does that tell you about what he has been assigned to do by his superiors?

Top Bottom