Coyle gets my props!

I am positive...positive that Coyle is an untrustworthy piece of dog crap. Doesn't mean I can't root for the Gophers, just means after every victory I got to take a shower to wash the Coyle scum off my body because he will get rewarded for being in the right place at the right time where even his incompetence couldn't prevent a good thing from happening.

Completely understand.
Just make sure to use the right soap

ForumRunner_20170107_104230.jpg

Kudos to Coyle. He and Kaler want to change the culture from the one where guys treat women inappropriately and the one that accepts losing winnable games. He didn't use a gosh darn search...he made his own decision. I do think he wanted to replace Claey's...who didn't raise money for the athletics facility...who didn't control his players...and who didn't fill seats. That Claeys was a poor face of the program was so evident in his inability to be a leader during the suspensions on just about every level. 36 hours of Fleck makes it oh so evident that we needed a change. Claeys is not a head coach...his football acumen can be used at a school that needs a d coordinator...P5 or anywhere...but head coach? I think not. Pitino's responses to his team's sex scandal is evidence that Coyle has leadership in this area. We were excited when he was hired and I am excited about the future.

Kudos to Coyle. He and Kaler want to change the culture from the one where guys treat women inappropriately and the one that accepts losing winnable games. He didn't use a gosh darn search...he made his own decision. I do think he wanted to replace Claey's...who didn't raise money for the athletics facility...who didn't control his players...and who didn't fill seats. That Claeys was a poor face of the program was so evident in his inability to be a leader during the suspensions on just about every level. 36 hours of Fleck makes it oh so evident that we needed a change. Claeys is not a head coach...his football acumen can be used at a school that needs a d coordinator...P5 or anywhere...but head coach? I think not. Pitino's responses to his team's sex scandal is evidence that Coyle has leadership in this area. We were excited when he was hired and I am excited about the future.

I realize you are a Coyle ball-washer, but lets not give him credit for helping Pitino handle the sex scandal during last year's basketball season, when Coyle didn't begin his employment here until May 31st.

If Coyle has great leadership, he would have helped his first year head coach Tracy Claeys deal with the Sept. 2nd incident.

If Coyle has great leadership, he would have helped his first year head coach Tracy Claeys deal with the Sept. 2nd incident.

Exactly - Coyle was the person who received the police report on the incident.

This much I agree with.

Feel bad for Claeys and staff, but some passion for this program left with Kill. That's who we wanted. Claeys was an extended interim coach.

Not everyone gets to be a winner at this level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No fan of Coyle in the announcement of the scandal but he obviously had a plan for the football program after the incident occurred. You don't get this far in to replacing the coach unless you already have a plan in place.
A lot of the excitement around Gopher football faded after coach Kill was forced to retire. Then the Megatongue scandal. Now the Gophers player scandal. Hopefully the past remains in the past and the Gopher football program can move forward in a new light.
A lot of good people did a ton of work re-building this program, especially coach Kill. I recognize that, it's bad a group of selfish players decided to take a dump on his legacy. Let's remember the past events so that they do not happen again, and see the Gophers football program move forward. Sounds like the ticket buying public is at least a little roused, we need butts in the seats going forward.

Kaler he can still bite the big one.

No fan of Coyle in the announcement of the scandal but he obviously had a plan for the football program after the incident occurred. You don't get this far in to replacing the coach unless you already have a plan in place.
A lot of the excitement around Gopher football faded after coach Kill was forced to retire. Then the Megatongue scandal. Now the Gophers player scandal. Hopefully the past remains in the past and the Gopher football program can move forward in a new light.
A lot of good people did a ton of work re-building this program, especially coach Kill. I recognize that, it's bad a group of selfish players decided to take a dump on his legacy. Let's remember the past events so that they do not happen again, and see the Gophers football program move forward. Sounds like the ticket buying public is at least a little roused, we need butts in the seats going forward.

Kaler he can still bite the big one.

He obviously was planning on replacing the Head Coach from the day he was hired. Kaler was planning on replacing Claeys from the time they signed him to a contract with a very small buyout.

The timing of hiring Fleck had no issue with firing Claeys. We fired Brewster mid-season and hired Kill in January. Kill got to coach (and lose) his bowl game too.

We hired Kill in early December during the usual hiring cycle. Also, Kill didn't coach the bowl game. Seriously, these are very easy things to verify.

The timing of hiring Fleck had no issue with firing Claeys. We fired Brewster mid-season and hired Kill in January. Kill got to coach (and lose) his bowl game too.

Kill coached the MAC title game, he left before the bowl game.

I'm just impressed that we didn't go our usual 6-week search firm route and actually seem to have picked out our top choice and got him (I realize we ponied up competitive $ for the first time, which made it possible).

There's going to be people who will never be happy with Coyle or anything he does. They can't see past the 9-4 record and comprehend that 9-4 is an underachievement (seriously, look at the schedule and tell me they shouldn't have done better!), can't comprehend that we're #14 in Big Ten recruiting, and yet somehow, they believe TC would increase the win totals in upcoming seasons - seasons that have a more difficult schedule. 9-4 is great for Gopher football, I guess, but 11-2 would have been better and that's exactly the record he should have had this season.

They have their mind set on this theory that TC was our savior because he's a 'Jerry Kill guy'. NOTHING will change their mind. They believe Coyle is a slimeball who needs to be fired. They can't see the forest through the trees.

Let them wallow in their misery and hopefully they'll find their safe place. While they're doing that, Gopher football is moving forward without 'em.

When is the last time Minnesota hired it's first choice for a football or basketball coach? Fleck gives Coyle a lot of credit for wanting to come here. Coyle connected and sold him. Who is the last AD Minnesota has had that is better than Coyle?

It takes a President and an AD to lure and hire a coach like this. They both deserve credit. From my knowledge Bruininks was terrible and Teague was awful and Maturi was nothing special. It takes a commitment from the President and skill from the AD to get a coach like Fleck. I credit Kaler for the commitment to major sports at the U and Coyle for the skills to land a coach like Fleck. The national media has had nothing but praise for this hire.

You can bag on Coyle non stop for 3 weeks, but I haven't seen an AD make anywhere near as lauded a hire since maybe Lou Holtz? Credit to Coyle, and yes, even Kaler.

Who said Fleck was the first choice?. Rumor has it Joe Moorhead was offered and turned them down. I wouldnt go out on a limb for coyle

#coacheslivesmatter

Coyle has been an AD for a few years at mulitple places. When he was hired here, he wanted "his guy" as the head coach. That is his right. How he went about that process is where he lost me.
He came here with a first year head coach. He could have been honest with Tracy from the start and told him he wanted a more dynamic coach and would probably make a change at the end of the year. During the season he should have helped him more in dealing with the Sept. 2nd incident. When the season came to an end against Wisconsin, he could have said we are making a change. Then went out and got Fleck.
He showed no respect to Tracy, the other coaches and especially not to those players that played in the Holiday Bowl.

We will never know for sure it TC would have improved this team.

There is more excitement in the program now though and that is good. I look forward to seeing what Coach Fleck can bring to Gopher Football. Ski-U-Mah.

Who said Fleck was the first choice?. Rumor has it Joe Moorhead was offered and turned them down. I wouldnt go out on a limb for coyle

#coacheslivesmatter

"Rumor has it" IALTO

PJ Fleck was the first choice. Coyle landed his guy.

I am positive...positive that Coyle is an untrustworthy piece of dog crap. Doesn't mean I can't root for the Gophers, just means after every victory I got to take a shower to wash the Coyle scum off my body because he will get rewarded for being in the right place at the right time where even his incompetence couldn't prevent a good thing from happening.

Wait a minute, pretty sure I remember someone d*psh*t in Philly hoping the Gophers lose every game. Grow TF up. We get it. You're angry. Don't have to be told it multiple times in multiple threads. This is college football at a major level, and we had a situation where nobody covered themselves in glory--the woman, the players, the coaches, the AD, and the president.

I absolutely think the question is whether they had the authorization to pay that much, plus pay the asst coaches as much as Fleck is promising. Plus having a $160 million facility set to open next year.

Have they announced any contract specifics such as buy out (both ways) or the agreed upon pool for asst coaches?

Thx jb18- still haven't release the asst coach pool I guess

I think people are underselling Coyle. The guy has experience. I truly think he played the Claeys situation to get a new coach. Coyle will be much different going forward.

I disagree.

I think everyone knows Coyle was going to fire Claeys and hire "his guy". Claeys made it harder by winning 8 games and showing flashes in the 4 we lost -- two of which we shouldn't have lost. I think Coyle was planning on firing him after next season or during next season...then the boycott happened. Coyle now had his "reason" -- and credit to Claeys, he's stated that several times in what has been an awful tour of the press in what he felt he needed to do to protect his integrity, that Coyle has every right to have whomever he choses to be the coach.

I will never respect Coyle because in a crisis your true colors come out and we saw the real Mr. Coyle in all his splendor. He had his out, he had a reason. All he had to do was say it's clear we need to go in another direction after this past month and we're doing just that. End of story. Everybody knew what was going on. Instead he set out like Sherman through Atlanta to suggest that this program was below where it was under Brewster -- all of which was either a straight out lie (academics is below par), or lacked full context (Claeys was THE reason for declining attendance - HARDLY, although his personality did not help, I will agree with that charge leveled ad nauseam on this board). Every single Gopher fan should be embarrassed by how Coyle conducted himself publicly throughout this entire thing, but most importantly at that press conference. He's done a tremendous amount of damage to the University as has Mr. Kaler. And for that, I do give Coyle credit for squeezing money out of Kaler to buy (overpay?) a big shiny object that that everyone is ooooing and ahhhing over in an attempt to obfuscate the role that Mr. Kaler primarily but he himself played in this entire fiasco going back to 9/2. Perhaps for some of you, the firing of Claeys means we cleaned that up. To me, we white-washed the problem and are praying no one notices, although I think that hope will not come to fruition for Mr. Kaler, and perhaps Mr. Coyle..

So as a fan with some modicum of personal integrity, I'm left with a man I have zero respect for, who lacks integrity, making a good hire that may or may not turn into anything positive beyond the Month of January/Early Feb. Coyle has made it clear that he will sit in the shadows and then crucify anyone that doesn't fit his plan or threatens his hide. If he'd made the change in the manner outlined above, I still wouldn't like or respect him, but his lack of moral compass wouldn't be so obvious and I could be more excited about the future. The path he chose to get to hiring Fleck was unnecessary, uncalled for, showed a complete and total lack of integrity and that will not serve us well in the long term. He's an embarrassment to the University and I look forward to his being gone.

so, you think that Claeys was the only one making decisions around the sexual assault? Interesting. Claeys got fired, you're right about that. However, the problems that have plagued the University of Minnesota did not begin or end with Tracy Claeys. An AD with no moral compass and no integrity. Curious to see how that translates to improving the culture. I've been around people like this before. I wouldn't say it made any situation better. The problem is still with us and most likely will be even if Kaler and Coyle are fired -- although both of them should be packing right now.

If Maturi or Mega Tongue could spend $3.5 mil per year on a FB coach, they would have hired a stud too.

That's my point! It has to be a commitment from the President combined with the ability of the AD. Geesh.

So you're an ends justify the means kinda guy? Shocking.

We disagree on the means. Pretty easy to blame the Pres and AD for a football teams failing. Claeys and the players can do no wrong in your mind. Gopher fans yearn for big time football and then bitch when they get it. It's the Minnesota way. Bitch, doubt, and guard in case it doesn't work out. Coyle's job is to create enthusiasm, interest, and revenue.

I agree that Coyle and Kaler should get credit on this hire. As for ends justifying means... that's generally not me. But here is the way I see it:

In the past there has been fan base bitching about the administartions lack of support for football. We've carped about no leadership in the athletic department. We've complained about the search committee format and the bureaucrats involved. We've complained that nobody ever seems to really wants to coach at Minnesota. We've bitched about lack of funding and lack of decisiveness.

So now we have Coyle, who was faced with a crummy, no-win situation. You can disagree with the fallout on the sex "scandal" thing. But he made a decisiive decision, acted quickly, and moved forward. he implemented his plan (yes he obviously had one), got the U to pony up big $, and he hired his #1 choice. This was completed in less than a week.

He has my respect for all of this. Leadership sometimes means pissing people off.

Great post! Thank you!

I give credit to Coyle for getting Fleck. That said, what former AD had $3.5MM per year, a nearly new stadium and a $160MM athletics facility to help his cause? He has more assets in his corner than any U of M AD in history. Coyle still majorly bungled the EOAA situation and the way he cut TC loose was unprofessional and unnecessary. He crushed a good man under his heel. Let's see how Coyle does with the people side and leadership aspects going forward. If he can perform admirably in those areas going forward, he could win my support. But he's got a lot to prove.

It's been said forever, until you have a President who believe in and supports big time sports, you'll never have a big time program. I remember when Kaler was hired how excited I was that he openly stated how football could be the front porch, how football was important. No chance if u don't have commitment from the President. Bungled Teague, but look at the B ball team right now. Credit for the Coyle hire that resulted in the Fleck hire.

Kill did a sh^t ton to elevate MN to this point.

Fans finally got what they've been bitching for for decades, try sitting back and enjoying it. It may not last very long.

Credit for the Coyle hire that resulted in the Fleck hire.

I would agree with your post 100% if Coyle had the conviction to stand behind his choice.

If he would have made this move and simply said that he wanted a new coach, I would have disagreed but I would have gotten it. I think your post would have made a lot of sense. They are going all in on getting the guy they want and actually paying for it. Kudos.

To dismantle someone's integrity and ride the coattails of a botched sexual assault investigation so that you can change football coaches? That's vile. He could have switched coaches without using this situation. He would have put his neck on the line a bit more (who fires a coach after going 8-4/9-4?), but he would have at least had some integrity. He also wouldn't have been an absolute hypocrite.

I like Fleck. I like the hire. I give Coyle kudos for getting his guy (even though we all knew he'd be the target and we'd land him if we PAID). I'll still give him kudos. However, he's a scumbag if he did what you said (played this thing out to get his guy).

I realize you are a Coyle ball-washer, but lets not give him credit for helping Pitino handle the sex scandal during last year's basketball season, when Coyle didn't begin his employment here until May 31st.

Pitino instituted an educational program bringing in folks from business, counseling and the like to teach the players how to treat women this summer. I am sure not going to give Teague credit for that...nor Pitino as he didn't do it until a new boss came to town. I could be wrong...but either way, it was done and kudos to whomever for doing it.

I have to say you are probably right there. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt this time. He came in with the disaster that was basketball last year and included a scandal, a wrestling team drug distribution disaster, a $90 million or so shortfall in fundraising for the athletics village etc. So perhaps football wasn't the first fire he dealt with. I think everyone is at fault on this one but I think Claeys holds the most responsibility as he is the one who needs to control the players.

Top Bottom