Could be Shortell's third start

go_pher_roses

Reaction score
Hopefully Shortell's third start is the charm. The last time Gray didn't play and Shortell started was the 0-58 loss to Michigan where we had 177 total yards on offense including 104 passing yards last year. Shortell started against Purdue the following week but only had 3 pass attempts and Gray played most downs at QB. It should be easier to start at home against Syracuse rather than on the road at Michigan.

Should be a major difference between this year and last year for Max.

Shortell was really fighting an uphill battle last year NOT having made it to campus for Spring Ball, like Nelson and a few others did this year. That extra exposure to the practice schedule, coach's expectations, exposure to the play book, familiarity with teammates, coaches, etc. is just impossible to put a value on.

By the time Shortell started against Michigan, he had been on campus what, like 6-7 weeks? That's a tall order. That's one reason I thought it was so important for guys like Nelson and Leidner to make it for Spring Ball. If Nelson is pressed into play either of these next 2-3 weeks, he'll have easier sledding than Max did last year.

Should be interesting to see what kind of game plan the coaches put together for Syracuse. Defensively, this could be a tough game for the Cuse to get ready for because they don't have much tape of Shortell and what they do have wasn't exactly an offensive game plan that was tailored for his strengths.

The whole story will be; what will the defense look like against the The U when the opposing team knows that it will be Shortell's show? It's a whole different story when the opposing coach has time to scheme against Max. Ultimately, it is up to the Gopher coaches to create a game plan where Max can succeed.

Not accurate to make comparisons with last year. The receivers have a much better understanding of the O and are running much better routes. They aren't that much bigger, faster, stronger but are now getting some separation. It helps when they are where the QB expects them to be. It helps when they make the difficult catches. It helps when they block better for each other. Same coaches, same O. Big difference in an area most of us were concerned about. Oh, and it helps when the QB has just a little more time back there.

Max is a talented guy and I am completely confident that he'll come out ready to play. My biggest concern is our ability to run the football. At times we abandoned running out of the shotgun with Shortell in the game last week and I hope that isn't the case this week. I'd like for us to be able to run most of our offense with Max. If we can run the ball and not put Max (and our OL) into a lot of 3rd and longs, I feel really confident that Shortell will be effective throwing the football.

Syracuse probably is about the same kind of team as Western Michigan, but I am more concerned about Shortell when the Big 10 season starts and we probably have a tougher time running the ball.

From an opposing defensive coordinator standpoint I would bet they are happy to see the change. Shortell is the more prototypical QB that teams prepare for week in and week out so even though he is a superior passer to Gray from a defensive standpoint it takes the QB run mostly out of the offense and that makes it easier to gameplan against.

In the end as it always does it comes down to execution. It will be up to Max to make the right reads and find the soft spots in the defense. If he can do that he has a chance to be successful, if he can't we will all be either counting the days until Gray gets back or calling for Nelson to get his shot.

MUCH easier to run against 7 or fewer defenders in the box than 8 or 9.

Gophers had 100 yards rushing in the second half with Shortell at QB; 80 yards with Gray at QB in the first half. I think the Gopher RB's are going to find the running a lot easier with Shortel at QB than they did with Gray at the helm.

Shortell's success will hinge entirely on how hard he wants to work at understanding and running that read option. With some time and experience, there's no reason to expect him to run for 30-40 yards a game. If he reads things correctly, the handful of times that he keeps the ball there will be nobody there and he should get 6-8 yards a pop.

MUCH easier to run against 7 or fewer defenders in the box than 8 or 9.

Gophers had 100 yards rushing in the second half with Shortell at QB; 80 yards with Gray at QB in the first half. I think the Gopher RB's are going to find the running a lot easier with Shortel at QB than they did with Gray at the helm.

Shortell's success will hinge entirely on how hard he wants to work at understanding and running that read option. With some time and experience, there's no reason to expect him to run for 30-40 yards a game. If he reads things correctly, the handful of times that he keeps the ball there will be nobody there and he should get 6-8 yards a pop.

We'll see. I have no doubt that we'll be able to run the ball against Syracuse. We better be able to run the ball against them. The question comes in against the other Big 10 teams. If we can run the ball, Shortell will do fine. If we can't, I think it's going to be really tough sledding for the U.

Top Bottom