Could Alford move over to a guard spot?

STPGopher

Reaction score
If it is true that the OL is moving toward taller tackles, could Alford move inside to a guard spot? At 6'3" and 315 plus Tavale at 6'2" 329, Burris(will it be him or Davis?) at 6'2" 293, plus Wills 6'8" 350 (sp?) and Stommes 6'7" at tackles 284 that would be a very good jumbo package for the goalline (avg 314lbs). Although it sounds like Carufel is a lock for one of the starting guard spots, Alford seems like a good candidate for short yardage situations.

If it is true that the OL is moving toward taller tackles, could Alford move inside to a guard spot? At 6'3" and 315 plus Tavale at 6'2" 329, Burris(will it be him or Davis?) at 6'2" 293, plus Wills 6'8" 350 (sp?) and Stommes 6'7" at tackles 284 that would be a very good jumbo package for the goalline (avg 314lbs). Although it sounds like Carufel is a lock for one of the starting guard spots, Alford seems like a good candidate for short yardage situations.

How about to the end of the bench, he had to be close to breaking a NCAA record for the most consecutive penalties on one player this year.

dont be to surprised to hear that one of the incoming freshman kids impresses a lot more than him.

It seems to me that he had a pretty bad wheel. I don't think we saw the athlete that he will become. Give him the benefit of maturing and developing.

Not only give him a chance, give Coach Davis a chance. I am really looking forward to the 'new O line' next fall. I doubt there will be much familiar about the O line with the exception of the numbers on some of the backs. I rule no young man out from remarkable improvement and achievement. Coaches Davis and Hill are on the job!

In one word, No

Alford does not have the quickness to play inside. A second thing he plays too high, doesn't seem to bend at the waist. Whiffs too much, thinking his presences alone will get it done. What you need inside is explosive players. The big ugglies. The guys who work on squats day and night. The interior of the line is like pistons of an engine. You need expolsion, quickness, strength, and footwork. And timing is also a key. If you have a player you want to start with you need a leader, a spearhead, and that is your center. I think its Davis's job to start with, and if he isn't in the weight room as I write this I miss my guess. He needs a better base and core, could easily carry 300 pounds. His footwork, and timing are excellent. At one guard I think you have Carufel. He has to live up to the hype. He must be a leader. In the weight room, in practice, and on the field. If they pair Carufel with Willis on the right side you have a go to right side. Double teams, traps, and a reasonable chance to blow anyone off the right side of the line. The left guard I think will be Wynn. He was a little undersized but extemely talented at tackle, but they moved him inside late and he will probably start there. Now, the left tackle and protection and all that. Meinke or Stommes. But the key is making the choice, getting the reps, gaining the timing, and confidence against various fronts. I think the offensive line will be set in the Spring.

Top Bottom