Cosgrove has to go!!

Well, it's not a direct comparison but I suppose we can look at what the defense looked like before Cosgrove and with Cosgrove.

The most glaring problem currently is the third down conversion percentage.

Third Down Conversion Allowed
2009 48.39%
2008 39.98%

What's odd about that is overall the pass defense is pretty similar, actually slightly better in some areas, than last year:

Completion Percentage Allowed
2009 61.14%
2008 59.04%

Interception Percentage
2009 2.59%
2008 3.61%

Yards Per Attempt Allowed
2009 6.79
2008 7.53

QB Rating Allowed
2009 14.95
2008 131.70

Weird.

Lets put the offense in for the defense on 3rd and long maybe that will help them get off the field.Our punter was getting great rolls and pinning them back but then here would come Penn St. back on some 8 minute drive being succesful on darn near every 3rd down completing somewhere around 11 straight passes and there running back going for 150 yards.Our TOP disadvantage might even out if we could ever stop anyone on any big play!very discouraging but I"ll keep waiting and hoping.

If Roof had this Defense this yr, they would be one of the best in the BT.

You must have missed a few games last year like when the backup QB for NW ran for over 200 yards against our D (and it was fairly obvious this year that he was not that great a runner).

No, we were coming until Ia. and Kan. If you look what he did last yr. vs. 2 yrs. ago it was a marked improvement. That improvement would have continued this yr.

Something's changed for the better...

Year____Where___Opponent___W/L__Score

2008____@Home___Iowa________L_____55-0

2009_____Road____PSU________L_____20-0

or has the D gotten worse and the PSU score was a "lucky fluke"?

At this point in the season, we are 60th in the FBS in scoring defense, and #7 in the Big Ten. If you had to pick the 'average' defense in college football, just looking at stats, there's a good chance you'd choose Minnesota. Our ppg allowed is nearly identical to last season (actually .01 ppg better). We have a new coordinator, and lost our hands-down best player from last year. It's not a perfect defense by any means, but I'll take it.

In the years 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Cincinnati, an undefeated team, recruited 14 players with three or more stars. In that same time, Boise State, another undefeated team, recruited 21. TCU had 38 players with three or more stars. The Gophers? We had an astounding 54 players with three or more stars!!!! How have we done on the field with all this talent? We are regressing. Plain and simple.

Relying on "star" talent may not be a good idea. Just ask Iowa. We go after David Pittman, a 4-star recruit, and he is NOTHING. Some of our two star recruits who are (or were) in the NFL include Russell, VanDeSteeg, Payne, Eslinger, Montgomery & Spaeth. Decker, aother 2 star, will soon join them.

What has Davis done for the offensive line? What has Fisch done for the offense? Where is the improvement in coaching? Who is getting better?

In the years 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Cincinnati, an undefeated team, recruited 14 players with three or more stars. In that same time, Boise State, another undefeated team, recruited 21. TCU had 38 players with three or more stars. The Gophers? We had an astounding 54 players with three or more stars!!!! How have we done on the field with all this talent? We are regressing. Plain and simple.

Relying on "star" talent may not be a good idea. Just ask Iowa. We go after David Pittman, a 4-star recruit, and he is NOTHING. Some of our two star recruits who are (or were) in the NFL include Russell, VanDeSteeg, Payne, Eslinger, Montgomery & Spaeth. Decker, aother 2 star, will soon join them.

What has Davis done for the offensive line? What has Fisch done for the offense? Where is the improvement in coaching? Who is getting better?

I agree completely with upchurch. We need to stop working so hard on recruiting the players identified as good prospects, and start working harder on getting moved to the Big East, where we wouldn't need good prospects.

I could not disagree more. I have been one of the most negative people on this board but Cosgrove has been one of very few bright spots for this team. He is coaching with only one legitimate secondary player and no defensive front four.

Top Bottom