Cosgrove has to go!!

littlebigboy

Reaction score
I said it was a mistake when he was hired ,and hoped I was wrong, but he is doing the samething to our D as he did in NEB. No adjustments, 10 yd. cushions, nobody reading the QB. and breaking on the ball. Taking a so so D last yr. that showed possibility of being good and completely wrecking it. Eden Prairie could pass on this bunch. I now understand why Wisc. didn't care if Royston left. If he is the best we have we are in trouble. Penn State corner and lb. showed how to come up and stuff the run on the goalline when they stopped Wheley. Against ours, unless Campbell or triplet got there, would have let them walkin. Webers just plain got a mental problem now and is playing terrible. We have too much firepower to be shut out.

I said it was a mistake when he was hired ,and hoped I was wrong, but he is doing the samething to our D as he did in NEB. No adjustments, 10 yd. cushions, nobody reading the QB. and breaking on the ball. Taking a so so D last yr. that showed possibility of being good and completely wrecking it. Eden Prairie could pass on this bunch. I now understand why Wisc. didn't care if Royston left. If he is the best we have we are in trouble. Penn State corner and lb. showed how to come up and stuff the run on the goalline when they stopped Wheley. Against ours, unless Campbell or triplet got there, would have let them walkin. Webers just plain got a mental problem now and is playing terrible. We have too much firepower to be shut out.

Yep. Program in shambles. It's all over. Fire everyone. Start from scratch next year.

Yeah - let's just keep the revolving door of coordinators going. That's a great idea.

I think Cosgrove & Lee are doing an outstanding job of coaching the defense. The defense was on the field about 40+ minutes and only gave up 20 points to a Penn State team that often had very good field position.

I think Cosgrove & Lee are doing an outstanding job of coaching the defense. The defense was on the field about 40+ minutes and only gave up 20 points to a Penn State team that often had very good field position.

You should correct your statement to "I think Cosgrove & Lee are doing an outstanding job of coaching the defense on first and second down only. On third down, they really don't know what they're doing at all."

The frustrating part of watching the defense this year has been to know that over 50% of the time that the opposing team is in 3rd-and-long (over 7 yards), the Gophers give up the first down. They've also given up dozens and dozens of 3rd-and-10+ this year. This is Masonesque. Something needs to change, and I'm assuming that the defensive playcalls are the source of the problem.

I agree - when the defense has to play 2/3rds of the game, giving up 20 points is pretty decent. The Offense was the primary problem this game. Plain and simple.

Playing the corners 10 yards off is the adjustment he had to make because Royston/Collado/Theret were routinely getting beat deep. It looks they are going to the "let's just keep the play in front of us" approach until we get better safety play. Man we are missing Brock right now.

Agree!!! We are lucky that our defense and special teams keeps us in the games. The defensive kids are on the field way too long.

The offense did not help the defense out one bit, the defense is lucky to have only given up 20 points for how long they were out there. But how many 3rd downs can you give up in one game? I think the Gophers set a record today, it was terrible. I put that on Kevie Cosgrove directly for calling that soft "defense".

The only beef I have with the defensive coaches today is that I don't think they blitzed enough. The reason Clark had all those easy passes on third down is because we can not generate any pressure. It starts up front. I thought we should have tried to blitz more to force him into bad throws. But then again one of the times we did blitz and force Clark into a quick throw, Theret could not get to his man fast enough and the pass was completed for about 30 yards. Here's an idea. How about we recruit better players?

Eden Prairie could pass on this bunch.

Ummmmmm. No. Eden Prairie attempts about 3 passes per game. They couldn't even pass on Eagan a couple weeks ago.

Eden Prairie has maybe one division one player on its roster. The very idea that they could compete, much less succeed, in a contest with Minnesota - however bad they looked against Penn State - is ludicrous.

Same thing for people who think - "man, the st louis rams are so bad they would get beat by Florida."

Do you know how many NFL players even the top college team has? It's the dumbest logic possible.

Ha ha ha ha Eden Prairie. I bet they couldn't put up 20 yards the entire game against the gophers.

Oh and staying on topic, the defense played with as much heart and tenacity as one could hope for. They only allowed Penn State to score 20 on us the whole game and they were also on the field the whole game. Our offense left them for dead and I think they played great given the circumstances.

...Here's an idea. How about we recruit better players?

the last 3 recruiting classes, all since Mason, suggest that is being done...we definitely still need talent upgrades in our starting lineups, though I think our depth is becoming as good as it's ever been in my lifetime. Hopefully this means that when those young backups become starters, we'll be able to stop those 3rd-and-longs.

The problem is what most feared coming into this season, that we would struggle to generate pass rush consistently without WVDS. Some of that showed today. It's hard to put pressure on teams when your front four aren't able to hardly get any pressure at all on the QB. Blitzing isn't going to completely fix that, the d-line just needs to step up and get at least SOME pressure on the QB. In turn, doing that will allow the corners to play a little more aggressively, as they won't have to cover for 5, 6 seconds every play, giving the receiver time to get open.

You should correct your statement to "I think Cosgrove & Lee are doing an outstanding job of coaching the defense on first and second down only. On third down, they really don't know what they're doing at all."

The frustrating part of watching the defense this year has been to know that over 50% of the time that the opposing team is in 3rd-and-long (over 7 yards), the Gophers give up the first down. They've also given up dozens and dozens of 3rd-and-10+ this year. This is Masonesque. Something needs to change, and I'm assuming that the defensive playcalls are the source of the problem.

I didn't realize Cosgrove and Lee are supposed to not only coach but rush the passer too. Not much the defense can do if our DL is just not that good rushing the passer. I don't think our LB and DBs played that bad, they just can't cover for 10 seconds.

If our O did anything and we win 21-20 this discussion never takes place in spite of the same # of points being given up.

all i can say is when cosgrove was hired my buddy, who's a huge husker fan, just starting laughing... seriously: he sucks. just accept it.

Not much the defense can do if our DL is just not that good rushing the passer. I don't think our LB and DBs played that bad, they just can't cover for 10 seconds.

This is the biggest problem with the Gophers D. The LBs are very solid, the secondary is mostly good. Even the DTs are solid. But there is absolutely no pressure from the DEs. Honestly, aside from the last few plays of the Northwestern game, have the Gophers DEs done anything memorable this season?

Cosgrove's philosophy is to play a bend and not break philosophy. Those that are hoping this changes with th addition of more talent may be disappointed. The big question is whether or not he can help recruit better talent here to begin with. He may have in the past but time appears to have passed him by, his best years at Nebraska were the early years there when he had the previous regimes players and his recruits were not good, so bad in fact that they started several walk-ons last year because he left the cupboard so bare there.

I think Cosgrove & Lee are doing an outstanding job of coaching the defense.
I dunno about that:
Code:
Third down conversion % defense

1. Penn State 		32.58%
 2. Ohio State 		35.87
 3. Northwestern 	36
 4. Iowa 		37.5
 5. Michigan 		38.78
 6. Indiana 		39.19
 7. Wisconsin 		40
 8. Michigan St 	40.91
 9. Purdue 		43.16
10. Illinois 		47.22
11. Minnesota 		48.39

First downs per game allowed

1. Penn State 		14
 2. Iowa 		15.17
 3. Ohio St 		15.5
 4. Wisconsin 		17
 5. Northwestern 	18.33
 6. Michigan St 	18.83
 7. Michigan 		19.33
 8. Minnesota 		20.83
 9. Purdue 		21
10. Indiana 		22
11. Illinois 		22.8

Passing yards per game allowed

1. Iowa 		171
 2. Penn St 		173.83
 3. Ohio St 		182.67
 4. Wisconsin 		210.33
 5. Purdue 		212.33
 6. Northwestern 	218.17
 7. Minnesota 		218.5
 8. Illinois 		223
 9. Michigan St 	226.67
10. Indiana 		233.83
11. Michigan 		246.5

Rushing yards per game allowed

1. Penn St 		 81.83
 2. Ohio St 		 89.17
 3. Michigan St 	102.33
 4. Northwestern 	119.33
 5. Wisconsin 		122.83
 6. Iowa 		134.33
 7. Indiana 		136.67
 8. Michigan 		141.33
 9. Minnesota 		162.67
10. Purdue 		167.33
11. Illinois 		185.6
That's not a very good showing all around.

The third down conversion percentage is probably the most damning. Opponents are converting third downs at a nearly 50% clip.

I hate "soft" coverage/cushions as well but would you rather see a 10-yd completion or see one of the DB's get burned for a 60-yd TD? Safety play has been pretty bad this year coverage-wise and the DB's have been far from impressive.

all i can say is when cosgrove was hired my buddy, who's a huge husker fan, just starting laughing... seriously: he sucks. just accept it.
I wasn't going to accept it, but since your friend laughed, it must be true.

I wasn't going to accept it, but since your friend laughed, it must be true.

The one thing that is true is that in 2 years since Cosgrove was fired the defense at Nebraska went from one of the worst in the country to the 3rd best in regards of points allowed per game.

yes the defense needs imporvement but another new coordinator next year would be the 4th in 4 years. what the D needs is more talent and some consistency in the coodinator position.

The one thing that is true is that in 2 years since Cosgrove was fired the defense at Nebraska went from one of the worst in the country to the 3rd best in regards of points allowed per game.
Hey! An argument that makes sense! I've been looking all over for you on this board.

Clearly you have no clue when it comes to football. We hold them to 20 points at home when they have a 3 to 1 time of possession advantage because our insipid offense lead by QB who clearly isn't very good and you say it is on the defense? Give me a break! This loss is on Brewster and the Offensive coaches for sticking with Weber and having the worst offensive line in decades!

That being said, we need some patience before we throw the baby out with the bathwater!

yes nebraska's defense was outstanding today weren't they?

yes nebraska's defense was outstanding today weren't they?

Their primary problem was their offense today which gave up some of those points directly and that is why their starting QB was benched for their true freshman for much of the second half, what a concept. They will still be ranked one of the top defenses in the country after that game, are the gophers, no. You are correct however that they did not have their best performance today.

The one thing their second year coach has managed to do that Brewster has not is take over a team coming off a losing season and win rivalry games, bowl game, and more games in his first year than Brewster did in two seasons. They are rebuilding just like Minnesota however.
Maybe I spoke to soon on the making good points front.

Comparing the Nebraska job to the Minnesota job is like comparing being president of GE to running the hot dog stand in front of the building.

Maybe I spoke to soon on the making good points front.

Comparing the Nebraska job to the Minnesota job is like comparing being president of GE to running the hot dog stand in front of the building.

You are correct, it was a poor comparison on my part and should not take away from the fact that the respectives schools that Cosgrove has left have traditionally seem an improvement in their defense after his departure. I apologize for the poor comparison.

Top Bottom