Cory Roufs: Jerry Kill might be a dark horse for the Gopher job...

A background in psychology, that explains a lot. What mental hospital have you been committed to? You realize that people do recover from cancer, don't you? The phrase "terminal illness" actually means something.
You seem awfully angry about this. Would you like to talk about it?

My background is in Psychology not Oncology sorry :\

Though I did learn today that cancer is not terminal and once it is in remission it stays there.

I can't believe anyone with any sort of medical training wouldn't know that there is a definition for terminal illness.

I realize what the term means my bland midwestern friends. Sometimes I exaggerate for effect.

You have to look at it from a dispassionate, actuarial perspective. Someone who has had cancer, even if it is in remission, statistically has a much shorter lifespan than someone who has not developed cancer. This is further a man who collapsed on the sidelines this past year and had to be hospitalized. These are non-trivial issues. That doesn't immediately disqualify him, but it's something you have to factor in when making a long term commitment to a coach. That in concert with the fact that he's about a C to B list candidate puts him far behind the names that have actually been floated by legitimate sources.

I realize what the term means my bland midwestern friends. Sometimes I exaggerate for effect.

That's not really the case because everything in your follow up posts suggest you have/had no idea what is a terminal illness.

You made the statement, "I learned today that cancer isn't terminal". Well, that statement just smells of not having any idea what you are talking about. I'll give you a hint, sometimes cancer is terminal and sometimes it isn't. You wouldn't have tried to defend your asanine statement with your other sarcastic asanine statement if you were merely exaggerating for effect.

Oh geeze. Obviously the implication there is if his cancer, which is in remission, returns it could potentially be terminal. That's not exactly a riddle of a word. Terminal. Terminus. End. Fatal.

I was being sarcastic about it because people are being so dismissive of a valid concern.

No, people aren't dismissing a valid concern. You, however, are making far too much of a minor concern.

That's fine. I recognize there's a difference of opinion there. I'm just saying it has to be at least part of the evaluation.

And like the two Dakota's, he is a Brewster Beater

He is also 2-0 against the Dakotas.

Like I said before the guy can flat out coach and he also has some deep recruiting ties to the St. Louis area and points south. He did a lot at SIU with a program that had terrible facilities, their stadium was practically falling apart.

My concern with Kill in addition to age/health is why has no one come after him before?

That's my thought as well...the guy has been relatively successful wherever he's been, so why, after 5 straight winning years at Southern Illinois, is the best opportunity he could find for himself a job at Northern Illinois?
Does anyone know if other teams have looked at Kill before?

That's my thought as well...the guy has been relatively successful wherever he's been, so why, after 5 straight winning years at Southern Illinois, is the best opportunity he could find for himself a job at Northern Illinois?

Kill never played for a high level team and never was an assistant coach for one. He started out at the NAIA level and worked his way up, it can be hard to move up quickly without ties to big time programs.

What is surprising about that? Southern Illinois is I-AA, and his success there earned him a promotion to a I-A program. Next stop BCS.

How many of the B candidates have winning records in their Conference?

I love it, he might be a dark horse. Does that mean he might be a long shot?

You have to look at it from a dispassionate, actuarial perspective. Someone who has had cancer, even if it is in remission, statistically has a much shorter lifespan than someone who has not developed cancer. This is further a man who collapsed on the sidelines this past year and had to be hospitalized. These are non-trivial issues. That doesn't immediately disqualify him, but it's something you have to factor in when making a long term commitment to a coach. That in concert with the fact that he's about a C to B list candidate puts him far behind the names that have actually been floated by legitimate sources.

Shorter lifespan? Dear God! He might not live to see the 50th reunion of the 2016 team! Can we afford to cheat the fans of this? Better stick to Japanese women only.

Jerry Kill will be on display tonight on ESPN2 for those interested. MAC Championship Game vs. 2011 Gopher opponent Miami (OH). 6pm kickoff. Illinois @ Fresno State is the second game of the double dip.

Just hire the guy before Indiana gets him.

That was my worry too, but Indiana appears to be focusing their efforts primarily on coordinators and several of those within the conference. According to Pat Forde, OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson is considered a co-favorite for the job along with Don Treadwell of Michigan State. IU AD Fred Glass also met with Wisconsin defensive coordinator Dave Doeren today. Iowa offensive coordinator Ken O'Keefe and Florida offensive coordinator Steve Addazio have also expressed interest in the Indiana job.

It's an interesting contrast in the strategies of the coaching searches between them and us, with them focusing almost entirely on coordinators while we are most certainly not, preferring to go after a more proven head coach. I'd say that's probably an after-effect of Brewster, and now Maturi couldn't afford to take any more chances even if he wanted to.

It's interesting though, comparing their search to ours. It's sort of looking at the other side of the coin, and I wonder what it says about them and us and the differences in our two programs. I wonder how long Indiana could reasonably expect to keep any of those young coordinators if they experience any measure of success as head coaches in Bloomington, or would they just almost automatically bolt for something higher up the food chain?

I say if nothing else, at least we're not Indiana. ;)

Top Bottom