Cory Roufs: Jerry Kill might be a dark horse for the Gopher job...

People who are down on Kill should take a look at his record. We all know the MAC is a competitive league, and his team is 8-0 in the MAC this year. Not only that, but check this out, 1 of those wins was by 7 points, 1 of them was by 14 points and the other 6 wins were by at least 26 points. This is a dominating season. Look at how his teams have progressed (pasted below):

I don't know about all the teams he inherited, but N Ill was 2-10 the year before he started. Most of those losses were close losses, but still. We could do a lot, lot worse than Jerry Kill. I would not be upset with that hire.

(from Wikipedia)
1994 Saginaw Valley State 6-4 6-4
1995 Saginaw Valley State 7-3 7-3
1996 Saginaw Valley State 7-3 7-3
1997 Saginaw Valley State 9-2 8-2
1998 Saginaw Valley State 9-2 8-2
Saginaw Valley State: 38-14 36-14
Emporia State (MIAA) (1999–2000)
1999 Emporia State 5-6 4-5
2000 Emporia State 6-5 5-4
Emporia State: 11-11 9-9
Southern Illinois (GFC) (2001–2007)
2001 Southern Illinois 1-10 1-6 7th
2002 Southern Illinois 4-8 2-5 T-6th
2003 Southern Illinois 10-2 6-1 T-1st
2004 Southern Illinois 10-2 7-0 1st
2005 Southern Illinois 9-4 5-2 T-1st
2006 Southern Illinois 9-4 4-3 T-4th
2007 Southern Illinois 12-2 5-1 2nd
Southern Illinois: 55-32 30-18
Northern Illinois (MAC) (2008–present)
2008 Northern Illinois 6-7 5-3 4th (West) L Independence
2009 Northern Illinois 7-5 5-3 2nd (West) L International
2010 Northern Illinois 10-2 8-0 1st (West)
Northern Illinois: 23-14 18-6

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'd rather have Trestman.

The last thing we want is a coach with a proven record of winning and turning programs around. (sarcasm)

See you guys at the Jerry Kill memorial Spring game in 2013.

This is all academic since there's no way they hire Kill. Farming background or no.

See you guys at the Jerry Kill memorial Spring game in 2013.

I'll take two years of winning football any way I can get them, thank you. :)

At least we'll have a new AD in 2013, so I'll have more confidence in the hiring process.

After reading about Kill on Wikipedia I am very impressed. He has won everywhere he's been, won multiple conference championships, and has turned struggling programs into winners. His team's records seem to get better every year. He may be a better candidate than I've been giving him credit for.

We can't hire Kill because he lost to Brewster. :p

Then again he also beat him. I guess beggers can't be choosers.

We can't hire Kill because he beat Brewster. :p

And we can't hire Calhoun because he lost to Brewster. We can't hire any coach who was ever sick. The Gophers have a 6-1 record with no coach. Perhaps that will be the decision, to not have a coach, because it seems our criteria excludes everyone.

There's a difference between being sick and having a terminal illness.

He's won everywhere he has gone and he has won big. His Northern Illinois team is one of the better MAC teams in a long time and he beats teams from better conferences.

Look at what he has done against the Big 10 (with his Northern Illinois squad)...
ALL AWAY GAMES
2008: @ MN 27-31 L
2009: @ WI 20-28 L; @ Purdue 28-21 W
2010: @ Illinois 22-28 L; @ MN 34-23 W

If you want Jerry Kill, you might as well go after NDSU's Craig Bohl.

has a 70% winning, into playoffs this year, #1 in FCS 2007 and 2008.

Was INTERVIEWED BY MATURI during brewster hire.

Defensive Coord at NEBRASKA during there haydays.

I'd hate to see him leave NDSU, but Minnesota would be a good fit.

5 players in NFL right now. 2 starting.

As predictable as the sunrise, bison.

My concern with Kill in addition to age/health is why has no one come after him before?

Sheep here don't get it

Yet another 1500 guy tweting idle speculation and this forum wetting itself. They are manipulating you like a toy.

Go back to your shanty.

Jerry Kill has always been my #1 choice after the big names; Harbaugh, Patterson, Belotti and Peterson. The guy can flat out coach and has been a winner where ever he has been. And I read where he has pretty much had the same staff for close to ten years.

I would be extremely pleased if he was hired.

Where in the hell is that Ben Woodside update I've been waiting on?

Jerry Kills staff is very loyal to him; DC-15yrs, OC-12, TE-9, LB-11, DL-5 @NIU and 3 with Kill, WR-9, RB's-14, DB-9, QB-1. That is impressive and says a lot about Coach Kill.

Wikki him and look at his record, quite impressive. He may be the lowest risk among the B coaches.

It appears that he has beaten his Kidney Cancer. That takes some guts too.

By the way, He was on the recruiting trail just four days after his Cancer surgery.

With all the amateur Doctors and funeral Directors chiming in, maybe an actual physician can weight in on the health issue.

My background is in Psychology not Oncology sorry :\

Though I did learn today that cancer is not terminal and once it is in remission it stays there.

My background is in Psychology not Oncology sorry :\

Though I did learn today that cancer is not terminal and once it is in remission it stays there.

A background in psychology, that explains a lot. What mental hospital have you been committed to? You realize that people do recover from cancer, don't you? The phrase "terminal illness" actually means something.

We're all terminal cases, Khaliq.

Coach Kill has done progressively better at progressively more advanced coaching positions, and has quite a bit of head coaching experience. If we can't get a Leach (proven winner) or Mullen (unproven, but respected BCS coach), I'd rather have him than a Trestman.

Strange that NIU would extend their coach with a terminal illness to 2015. http://www.mlive.com/cardinals/index.ssf/2009/09/jerry_kill_gets_contract_exten.html

Yeah, I wouldn't take much of what he says too seriously. He seems to be getting quite the chuckle making snide comments about surviving cancer, so let him giggle away.

Jerry Kill HAD cancer and had it removed. The kind of cancer that Jerry Kill had is a slow growing type of cancer in which the doctor told him he could wait 3 months (and finish the season) before he would have it removed. It is obviously still scary, but it would be like predicting Lance Armstrong or John Kruk was on the verge of death.

NIU did more than simply EXTEND a coach with as Khaliq joked has a hard enough time fighting off his own cells, they hired him after the fact.

Kill Impressive

Jerry Kill is more impressive the more I learn about him. He is 49 years old. He has established and turned around at least 2 football programs. I don't know the contract buyout terms in his contract, but I be it is less than most candidates.
I have liked him since the Northern Illinois game and if we won't get a big name hired I hope we hire him.

Top Bottom