Cory Roufs: Jerry Kill might be a dark horse for the Gopher job...

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Don't forget, Roufs was the one that broke the Brewster getting fired after Purdue game news.

A tweet from him a few minutes ago:

"Jerry Kill might be a dark horse for the Gopher job..."

Go Gophers!!

He has had success, but at lower levels and has been coaching for 16 years....

If true, I hear crickets and see graffiti in TCF's future.

Kill is a gamble, but his resume is not too shabby. Just led NIU to a year undefeated in the MAC, but he did get beat in both his bowl games with NIU. One against Louisiana Tech and the other against South Florida. He has been successful at every level of football he has coached at though, and I think he could definitely have success here.

The media sure is getting desparate in its speculation. They had no clue about Brew and less about Tubby so now its throw every name out there.

Kill is a gamble, but his resume is not too shabby. Just led NIU to a year undefeated in the MAC, but he did get beat in both his bowl games with NIU. One against Louisiana Tech and the other against South Florida. He has been successful at every level of football he has coached at though, and I think he could definitely have success here.

He is known for grooming great running backs. That Span carved us up this year and he coached Garrett Wolfe

How would he be a darkhorse?? He is talked about as much as anyone else around here.

I like this. You may not be impressed because he's not a big name like some (who we either can't get or don't want), but from what I've read about him I think he's a very good coach who builds a program step by step and he's the kind of guy that would likely stick around awhile. Not a flash in the pan. And his team is 10-2 and in the top 25 in both polls. And I think those health concerns are not the issue some would make them out to be. He knows the game and how to coach a college football team.

I am in the big name crowd. But think Kill would be a great coach. His MAC teams already beat Big 10 teams.

Kill Shot!!!!!!!!!! Sorry. Actually of all of the mid-major coaches, Kill is my number one choice. I have always been impressed with how prepared his teams are. We could do alot worse. May not sell tickets from day one, but the guy can coach.

I like this. You may not be impressed because he's not a big name like some (who we either can't get or don't want), but from what I've read about him I think he's a very good coach who builds a program step by step and he's the kind of guy that would likely stick around awhile. Not a flash in the pan. And his team is 10-2 and in the top 25 in both polls. And I think those health concerns are not the issue some would make them out to be. He knows the game and how to coach a college football team.

+1. The main thing that Kill has going for him is that he knows how to win football games. He may not be a flashy name that will sell tickets out of the gate but what we need is someone who will win on a sustainable basis. That is what will fill seats in the long run.

Jerry can barely fight off his own cells let alone the Big Ten's elite.

People occasionally get sick. Perhaps Michigan State should get a new coach?

If Kill was filling up that Trophy case there would not be a lot of jokes

About his health. We need a "smart" football coach that can chalk X's and O's and recruit this time, not just sell. His coaches have contacts all over the Midwest and with a lot of Chicago area schools and are obviously identifying talent that the rest of the Big10 is overlooking. Kill would get to a guy like Bielema because "butt" would not be able to out-think him. NIU hung with Wisconsin pretty well both times they played and they really should have beat Illinois this year. We could do a lot worse than Jerry Kill. Media will likely be bored with him, I don't care if we win games like I think we will everyone will be buying "Killshot" T-shirts and this time there will not be stupid "Fire" chants. This is a legitimate football coach folks he can coach.

The man just collapsed on the sidelines this year.

He is the anti-Brewster. I'd love this hire, guy can coach and even though he won't create instant hype, his teams will be selling tickets because they are winning.

When you find yourself debating if a coach will outlive Mangino it may be best to look elsewhere for a long term solution.

Ripping on a guy for being a cancer survivor, seriously?

I'm not ripping on him. His health is a valid concern when handing out a 5+ year deal to him.

... Thats kind of a box.

My point was that while I want a big name/hot shot coach for numerous reasons. IF we hired Kill it would be a great hire. I understand that the average Minnesotan will know anything about him.

Ripping on a guy for being a cancer survivor, seriously?

No, not at all. His cancer is in remission, but so was my wife's aunt's and then boom, she was gone. We'll be back at square one if that happens.

Jerry Kill

If Jerry Kill is named coach here, I would be quite happy. He is not sexy. He is not a big name. He is not a hot shot up and comer nationally. What he is :

* A very successful coach at every college he has coached at.

Southern Illinois 55 - 32 ( pgm was horrible when he took over)

Northern Illinois 23 - 14 ( 10 -2 this year -- playing conference title game Friday night )

Overall 104 - 57 While rebuilding his Football Programs

* He has been both offensive and defensive coach before Head Coach
* His QB this year runs and passes well ( Marquis Gray possibilities )
* He has been recruiting this part of the country ( Illinois,Indiana,Wisconsin,Minnesota)
* Has a staff that has been with him for years
* He can flat-out coach up players he gets
* His team is rated #25 now
He would be a very solid hire who knows what kind of a team he wants to coach and can coach up the talent we get here so we can compete for the trophy games we play.

I think he's sexy. I bet he's a giving lover.

Top Bottom