Cory picks Texas

Really wanted him and thought we had a great chance since his brother played here. I wish Cain, uh I mean Cory good luck in Austin.

You know nothing about the situation. CJ is an adult. It's his future. Ultimately a player is going choose whatever school he wants, not the school his brother wants.

If Cory Joseph wanted to be a Gopher, he would have signed a long time ago.
The world's WORST recruiter: Devoe Joseph.

This isn't the end of the world. Cory ended up where he was fated to go in my opinion. Best of luck to him at Texas.

texas has a big time athletic program with comitment from the president (how do we spell mark youdoff?) down to the coaches.....they dont have a weak administration and are driven to win in major athletics...........unlike Minnesota who is mediocre at best......as I have been saying it is time for a change in attitude and in commitment from the administration. Success in Major D1 college athletics drives public perception and revenue for universities. This attitude and a success driven culture does affect recruiting. Time for a change of the guard at the U or M.

He's baaaaaack! Surprise, surprise, Gophers take a hit and Ol' million of missed layups is back. Hey BigGopherFan, let it go. It'll most likely work out better some way without Cory. Maybe they get the kid from St. Paul Johnson next year, then in a few years get the kid from Apple Valley.

Yeah, what a dumbass. Texas sucks.

Who would want to play at a school that's made the NCAA each of the last 12 years, including 1 final 4, 2 elite 8s and 2 sweet sixteens.

Idiot.

But seriously...just reviewed the week-by-week AP rankings from last season. What a freefall by Texas:
1st
6th
9th
14th
15th
21st
26th
30th
39th

The world's WORST recruiter: Devoe Joseph.

Agreed (kinda funny too).

Not only am I disappointed in not getting Cory, I'm now less of a fan of Devoe. Maybe that's unfair, but it's the way I feel, man. I'll get over it.

Od course we can never really know, but I wonder if Cory really even considered Minnesota? I think that he was just spouting comfort words for his brother and family, and Minnesota fans were duped.

And Royce, yes let's all jump on that bandwagon. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Tubby is smart enough to give him a second chance only without scholarship.

IMO, there are still 3 big "ifs" for next year -

Nolen, TM, and RW. I think if all are back the Gophs are a top 15 team, if none come back they are a 18-22 loss team. Big difference. My guess would be they end up with 1 or 2 of the three and we are a bubble team once again...

Devoe Joesph in the NBA? C'mon man....

Funny how this theory doesn't present itself until after CJ decides to go to Texas. What if CJ had committed to the Gophs? Would Devoe transfer because his brother is taking his minutes, thus preventing him from getting a shot in he NBA?

LOL!

BTW, I thought Royce White quit. Why do people continue to look the other way on that?

Hey, Mr. Architect. I never said Devoe could or couldn't make the NBA. But I'll tell you right now, if Devoe plays beyond college, it won't be at the two guard position. The best thing that ever happened to him may have been Al Nolen being suspended, so he was forced to learn the PG position - THE ONLY POSITION he will be able to play at any sort of "next level."

Also, I was only attempting to figure out why maybe Cory chose Texas. Your comment about Devoe transferring is asinine and an undeserved shot. I don't think it is completely out of the realm of reality that they didn't want to play on the same team and take each other's minutes. Devoe needs PG experience to play at the next level. If Cory comes here, he doesn't get it.

As far as the timing of the "theory" - who gives a fu&k when I came up with it? How does is that relevant? Stupid comment.

And yes, RW quit. He's a quitter. That we can agree on.

SMH how can ANYONE blame Devoe for this? God forbid he let his adult brother (he'd be 18 ...) make a decision for his life. Who would have been happy if Devoe FORCED him to come here and Cory hated it here and slacked on the court and constantly whined? no one, wed be crucifying him. Devoe was a good brother here and always had his brothers best interests at heart, saying "do whats best for you" people need to stop being selfish like devoe shoulda tied him up and dragged him here with a gun to his head just so we could talk trash to Texas fans. wow.

I, for one, give Devoe so much credit for being responsable and clearly having a good head on his shoulders to give his brother space, offering help when he asked, and not pressuring him for the biggest decision of his life.

We give Paul Carter credit for leaving the program for his family and crucify devoe for thinking first of his brother's happiness. The gophers will get plenty of big recruits. We are starting to be considered among more and more recruits. Cory Joseph and Ray McCullum never even consider Minnesota without our recent success, (brought to you largely by Devoe Joseph), and with continuud success, they will keep looking.

Stop acting like one recruit has folded the program.

Nolen, TM, and RW. I think if all are back the Gophs are a top 15 team, if none come back they are a 18-22 loss team. Big difference. My guess would be they end up with 1 or 2 of the three and we are a bubble team once again...

I agree that these three make a huge difference. However, I think it's very extreme to say 18-22 losses without any of them. Without any of them is basically last year's team minus Westy DJ and PC. Westy was often ineffective last year anyway; losing DJ + PC could hurt a lot but devoe, ralph, colt, rodney will have had a year to improve as well. I still see this team being competitive (but definitely not in the top 25, maybe a bubble team again) if we don't get any of the three above players back.

18-22 losses is quite a lot. With the non conference schedule the Gophs play, just seems like too much. Top 15 seems high also, guess I'm just not agreeable today. I'm already looking forward to next year, even without Cory.

18-22 losses is quite a lot. With the non conference schedule the Gophs play, just seems like too much. Top 15 seems high also, guess I'm just not agreeable today. I'm already looking forward to next year, even without Cory.

18-22 losses is Iowa and Penn State territory. 18 is unlikely unless a major meltdown. 20 or more would take half the team coming down with mono and Sampson playing the point.

After reading the interview with Rautins where he mentioned that Devoe's NBA future was at PG and how he needed more time playing PG, it got thinking that CJ wouldn't come to the gophs because he would take PT from his brother.

You can't be serious.

We could lose our entire starting 5 and we still would not lose 20 games.

If the gophs play Devoe, Hoff, Williams, Iverson, Sampson, and have no bench, you dont think they could lose 18 games. Any injuries or foul trouble would cause major issues, IMO...

If you disregard the seasons that were penalized, I don't think the Gophs have EVER lost 22 games in the history of their basketball team.

18-22 losses? You're nuts. A 'worst-case' disaster season would probably be 7-5 NC and 6-12 conference. That's still 13-17, and I have a hard time fathoming that.

18-22 losses? You're nuts. A 'worst-case' disaster season would probably be 7-5 NC and 6-12 conference. That's still 13-17, and I have a hard time fathoming that.

I regress, with their non conf schedule I will agree it will be tough to lose more than 5 or 6 games even with all backups playing. And 12 losses in the B10 + 1 in the tourney would be absolute worst case. My argument, which I may not have stated too clearly, is that there will be no quality depth if the three of them are not cleared to play, and a single injury could be devastating.

I regress, with their non conf schedule I will agree it will be tough to lose more than 5 or 6 games even with all backups playing. And 12 losses in the B10 + 1 in the tourney would be absolute worst case. My argument, which I may not have stated too clearly, is that there will be no quality depth if the three of them are not cleared to play, and a single injury could be devastating.

The true worst-case scenario was Tubby leaving and perhaps Devoe and Ralph transferring as a result. There is now about a 0% chance of that happening. Even if AN and Trevor are not eligible and Cobbs transfers, you're still looking at a line-up of Joseph, Hoffarber, Williams, Ralph and Colt with the 4 freshman off the bench. That wouldn't be great due to the all freshman bench, but they'd still likely win 14 or 15 games, minimum.

After reading the interview with Rautins where he mentioned that Devoe's NBA future was at PG and how he needed more time playing PG, it got thinking that CJ wouldn't come to the gophs because he would take PT from his brother.

This is plausible and, I think, an underrated factor in CJ's (and his family's) decision. They had a lot of coaches talking to them throughout this. I'm sure that was mentioned a lot.

Who cares???

Like I said before, I don't give a rat's Ass if this kid wants to be a Gopher or not. I was so sick of reading about him for weeks. I love his brother and we'll be fine with him. Lets see how this will work out for him. Didn't Texas get Lucas from Florida and stuck him on the bench? I hope that Cory will be next to him during 2011-12 season.

Go Gophers

If you're upset he picked Texas you shouldn't be. You should wish the kid well because he made the best decision for himself. I know it's hard to fathom that concept at a time like this but it's not like he chose to play for someone who won't prepare him for his future in basketball or a place he won't receive a quality education if he chooses that path. Imagine if it were your son? Wouldn't you want him to be where he wants to be, where the thinks he will succeed?

Now, if you're upset that you think he strung Minnesota along and you were never in it to begin with? I can understand that but you have to lay some blame on your coaching staff. I don't care who you are in college basketball you cannot put all your eggs in one basketball when it comes to recruiting. You need Plan's B, C and even D ready to go when something like this happens.

If you're upset he picked Texas you shouldn't be. You should wish the kid well because he made the best decision for himself. I know it's hard to fathom that concept at a time like this but it's not like he chose to play for someone who won't prepare him for his future in basketball or a place he won't receive a quality education if he chooses that path. Imagine if it were your son? Wouldn't you want him to be where he wants to be, where the thinks he will succeed?

Now, if you're upset that you think he strung Minnesota along and you were never in it to begin with? I can understand that but you have to lay some blame on your coaching staff. I don't care who you are in college basketball you cannot put all your eggs in one basketball when it comes to recruiting. You need Plan's B, C and even D ready to go when something like this happens.

This is one of those rare cases that I agree with you. However, I am not upset because he chose Texas. I am upset for all the time that he took to make his decision. Yes, I do agree about our coach's mistake too. I think that Gophers will be fine either way.

I just hope that we can bring RW back. I am very happy with Cobbs. He will be great next year. This kid can play but needs more time. I am so happy that he decided to stay. I remember last year when Al was out, Tubby had to send Justin in (in PSU game in particular) because he was a better defender than Devoe.

I am dying to see a PG like Cliff who played for Tubby at UK in Gopher's uniform. He was so much fun to watch.

Go Gophers

Whatever

Like most, I'm upset with Cory's decision. But I don't think anyone should hope that he has a horrible career at Texas, or that he fails to make the NBA. His brother still plays at the U of M, and it's wrong for us to wish bad things on Cory. We can be mad at his choice, mad at his coach, mad that it took him so long to make his decision and now the Gophers are left to scramble for another option. But if Cory gets injured at Texas, or finds that he just doesn't like it there and it's not what was promised, there's always a chance that he could wind up at the U of M as long as Devoe is a Gopher. So, please, rather than flaming Cory, we should just express our disappointment, but wish him well.

I for one could now care less about how well CJ plays at Texas. But there is ZERO chance he plays here with Devoe. 1. If CJ doesn't like it next year and transfers here, he'll have to sit out a year, which will be Devoe's senior year. 2. If he leaves Texas early it won't to go to another school and sit out a year... it'll be to the pros. Why do you think Royce hasn't considered transferring? Because he'd have to sit out another year. C'mon!

Top Bottom