Conference Championship Weekend Thread

Cal capped a pretty good day of action for me, 5-2 on College Football. Still down after a dreadful Wed-Fri. Who would of thought the TWolves could cover against the Nets +8 without KAT?!? Not this guy.

I went to the PAC 12 game on Fri. Amazing setting at the Raiders new stadium, felt like a Utah home game. While about 10,000 short of a sellout, feels like it will be there going forward since that was way more than they were getting in Santa Clara. Maybe the Rams new stadium will put in a bid though.
Nice week for you, jeez! Sports betting is about my favorite thing to do in Vegas. I can do it online now on DK, but there's something about walking up to the window and then watching with a bunch of other people.

If they move down to 2 loss teams, then they would have a more difficult decision on who to select. If they stick to one-loss teams, then it's either Georgia or Notre Dame.

Unless these teams have all played each other, I don’t understand the logic a one loss team is clearly better than a 2 loss team. Time and again on-field matchups tell us this is not the case. We don’t know beforehand. We think we know. We don’t.

Only allowing conference champions into a tournament fixes the problem of not knowing who the best teams are. Head to head matchups should matter.

The ACC still gets an auto bid regardless to 1 of the other NY6 bowls.
Ah, that would make sense, if true. I'm not sure it is, though. There are no auto-bids, beyond the contractual obligations of the Rose, Sugar, and Orange when they aren't semi-finals. I did a quick Google search on "ACC new years six when orange is semi final" and didn't see anything obvious in the first few results. Not a hard look.

Granted, they could just rank Pitt #12 to make it "easy". Would be reasonable.

Of course the one year Georgia is supposed to win the SEC they choke.
I know, right? Ugh….
I respect his accomplishments and he is the 🐐, but man, isn’t there a mandatory retirement age that has to kick in at some point???

Unless these teams have all played each other, I don’t understand the logic a one loss team is clearly better than a 2 loss team. Time and again on-field matchups tell us this is not the case. We don’t know beforehand. We think we know. We don’t.

Only allowing conference champions into a tournament fixes the problem of not knowing who the best teams are. Head to head matchups should matter.
How does that fix the problem? It removes the problem by saying we shouldn't look at it, but it doesn't fix the problem.

I might be wrong, but I think the only team two teams to not win their conference and get in were Notre Dame and Georgia. Georgia beat Oklahoma in 2019. Notre Dame got killed in both of their games.

If you're talking about completely re-doing the CFP scenario, I'm all in. I am actually fine if they start a tournament based on conference champions - - all P5 conference champions and 3 wildcards.

If you're talking about the current system, I haven't seen anyone (including you) really argue why Notre Dame or Baylor should get in.

Correct. And we now know after yesterday that Georgia shouldn’t be in the playoff.
we also know Notre dame shouldn’t be.

it really should be Baylor if they criteria were logical. In current criteria though it is inevitable Georgia is going. And Georgia might be the second best team in the country…but they still shouldn’t get jn

How does that fix the problem? It removes the problem by saying we shouldn't look at it, but it doesn't fix the problem.

I might be wrong, but I think the only team two teams to not win their conference and get in were Notre Dame and Georgia. Georgia beat Oklahoma in 2019. Notre Dame got killed in both of their games.

If you're talking about completely re-doing the CFP scenario, I'm all in. I am actually fine if they start a tournament based on conference champions - - all P5 conference champions and 3 wildcards.

If you're talking about the current system, I haven't seen anyone (including you) really argue why Notre Dame or Baylor should get in.
Yeah. I agree with everything here. I disagree with the format but in the current format these are the right 4 teams.
My biggest argument is that Georgia should be 4 and cinci should be 3.

Everything you said here is why it would be stupid to expand the playoff without at least 6 automatic bids for conference champions. Otherwise it doesn’t fix the problems that 4 presents

Nice week for you, jeez! Sports betting is about my favorite thing to do in Vegas. I can do it online now on DK, but there's something about walking up to the window and then watching with a bunch of other people.
Betting online, and miss out on the drink tickets? No way, Jose. One vice supporting another...what a deal.

Ah, that would make sense, if true. I'm not sure it is, though. There are no auto-bids, beyond the contractual obligations of the Rose, Sugar, and Orange when they aren't semi-finals. I did a quick Google search on "ACC new years six when orange is semi final" and didn't see anything obvious in the first few results. Not a hard look.

Granted, they could just rank Pitt #12 to make it "easy". Would be reasonable.

While wiki may not be 100% accurate, I would assume some conference lackey would fix this if there was an error.

Overall, 12 teams are selected each football season for these major, top-tier bowls. These are required to include the champions of the "Power Five" conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC). In addition, the highest-ranked champion from the "Group of Five" conferences (The American, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt) is guaranteed a berth if the group's top team is not in the playoff.[2]

While wiki may not be 100% accurate, I would assume some conference lackey would fix this if there was an error.

Overall, 12 teams are selected each football season for these major, top-tier bowls. These are required to include the champions of the "Power Five" conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC). In addition, the highest-ranked champion from the "Group of Five" conferences (The American, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt) is guaranteed a berth if the group's top team is not in the playoff.[2]

No citation on that note.

And I suspect it could be the following thing: yes, each of those five have a contract bowl tie-in that guarantees their champion access ... in years that that contract bowl is not a semi-final. So in a sense, it is true. Particularly in years when the Fiesta and Peach are the semi-finals.

We've simply never had to test what happens when a contract bowl is a semi-final and the contract conference's champion is not ranked in the top 12.

That hasn't happened, mainly because Florida State or Clemson have always been in the CFP until this year. Nor have any of the other conferences ever had a conf champion that wouldn't have been ranked in the top 12.

This would have been the first time in the history of the NY6, if Pitt had not gotten ranked top 12.

I think they did, purposefully rank Pitt #12 explicitly to avoid that. Yeah, Pitt had a nice win ... but I don't see any particular reason why they would jump BYU. Pitt went from #15 to #12, while BYU went from #12 to #13 (did not play a game).

Agreed. And I'm not a fan of BYU, but their schedule was probably tougher than Pitt.

No citation on that note.

And I suspect it could be the following thing: yes, each of those five have a contract bowl tie-in that guarantees their champion access ... in years that that contract bowl is not a semi-final. So in a sense, it is true. Particularly in years when the Fiesta and Peach are the semi-finals.

We've simply never had to test what happens when a contract bowl is a semi-final and the contract conference's champion is not ranked in the top 12.

That hasn't happened, mainly because Florida State or Clemson have always been in the CFP until this year. Nor have any of the other conferences ever had a conf champion that wouldn't have been ranked in the top 12.

This would have been the first time in the history of the NY6, if Pitt had not gotten ranked top 12.

I think they did, purposefully rank Pitt #12 explicitly to avoid that. Yeah, Pitt had a nice win ... but I don't see any particular reason why they would jump BYU. Pitt went from #15 to #12, while BYU went from #12 to #13 (did not play a game).
A neutral site win over another Top 25 team could have been enough in and of itself to be moved higher, plus improved strength of schedule. Winning a Championship is also part of the criteria for rankings.

Principle 2

Sure. It's not impossible to justify.

And maybe they wanted to send a message to non-Notre Dame independents, that playing a conference championship game is valuable in of itself and/or that avoiding one should be "rewarded".

Regardless, BYU is moving to the Big XII so that won't be an excuse in the future.

Sure. It's not impossible to justify.

And maybe they wanted to send a message to non-Notre Dame independents, that playing a conference championship game is valuable in of itself and/or that avoiding one should be "rewarded".

Regardless, BYU is moving to the Big XII so that won't be an excuse in the future.
Who will be left as non-Notre Dame independents?
BYU is moving to the Big 12
NMSU and Liberty are moving to C-USA.
That leaves what? Army, UConn and UMass as FBS independents, none of whom are going to be ranked in the top ten anytime soon I wouldn't think.

I would love it if when the postseason formats are renegotiated in 2025, that the conferences tell ND they no longer get an equal vote as an entire conference, and if they want to be included, they have to join the ACC as a full member.

Who will be left as non-Notre Dame independents?
BYU is moving to the Big 12
NMSU and Liberty are moving to C-USA.
That leaves what? Army, UConn and UMass as FBS independents, none of whom are going to be ranked in the top ten anytime soon I wouldn't think.

I would love it if when the postseason formats are renegotiated in 2025, that the conferences tell ND they no longer get an equal vote as an entire conference, and if they want to be included, they have to join the ACC as a full member.
They would have to dissolve the CFP as it is, then, because it is a corporation with 11 shares, one of which is owned by each of the 10 conferences and one by Notre Dame.

As to the other independents: I agree that none, perhaps with exception of Army, actually want to be independent.

Navy seems to be doing well with its American football-only membership. I know Army had a really rough go of it the last time they were in a conf (CUSA I believe), so maybe they're good where they're at.

They would have to dissolve the CFP as it is, then, because it is a corporation with 11 shares, one of which is owned by each of the 10 conferences and one by Notre Dame.
Isn't that a possibility anyway?

Isn't that a possibility anyway?
Sure it is. As surely as they chose to include Notre Dame and the G5, on paper they could vote leave and start a new organization of just the P5.

I think the worry was if it goes that way then maybe there is enough power in some of those other institutions, calling on their federal representatives (think in particular the Mountain West schools, Wyoming Colorado State, Boise St, Nevada, UNLV, New Mexico). And who knows what they may or may not be able to scare up.

Top Bottom