Coney Durr update

Well, low 20's seems to be a roster sweet spot for DB's in the Big Ten. My point is we need 12 new guys on the roster to get there. Or 5 reinstated and 7 new guys or some combination with walkons to add 12 DB's to the roster to total 21. That's all I'm sayin' 12 is a lot to replace.

We also Troy Dipre. He was a transfer last year (walked on here) from Kent State. He was at Kent State on a scholarship, he had multiple MAC offers coming out of college.

I think he is more of a SS/OLB type because he was a LB in HS. But he could help too.

Unfortunately for us, we seem to be a bit thinner at CB (we have Huff, McGhee and Ayinde at S).

We also Troy Dipre. He was a transfer last year (walked on here) from Kent State. He was at Kent State on a scholarship, he had multiple MAC offers coming out of college.

I think he is more of a SS/OLB type because he was a LB in HS. But he could help too.

Unfortunately for us, we seem to be a bit thinner at CB (we have Huff, McGhee and Ayinde at S).

Hopefully, your hunch on Rucker comes true. Maybe Hunter Register is a 6' 5" natural DB...maybe somebody else on the roster slides over? They'll make it work but it is an area of concern. Maybe the only one really? I think a QB will emerge..

I wouldn't be shocked if Malik Rucker (former Hawkeye (and Cooper Hawk) and current 4th year JR at WMU) ended up coming here is a grad transfer.

Wouldn't take Rucker- he ditched us out of high school so he can stay a Hawkeye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes you say that? I'd say it's more likely than not he'll be back in time for the start of the season.

Depends on type of repair they did on his meniscus. If they respected it he's got a shot of getting back but if they tried repairing it they usually immobilize it for s prolonged period and recovery/rehab is delayed

Depends on type of repair they did on his meniscus. If they respected it he's got a shot of getting back but if they tried repairing it they usually immobilize it for s prolonged period and recovery/rehab is delayed

Could also be a 2 part surgery. First repair the meniscus, let that heal for 5 months, then do the ACL surgery, which would be at least another 6 month rehab.

Don't see many folks, let alone athletes go for that option

You'd be delusional if you weren't worried about the DB situation next year.

Yes 2. 1 of the 2 has an in home visit with Iowa. And as I noted we have remaining scholarships...easily 30 some open minimum. Demetrius Douglas is a target visited by our offensive coaches today.
Lots of other guys offered scholarships and trending to Minnesota don't play defensive back. That's my point. And I believe quite a few of those 9 remaining are walk ons or were unlikely to see the field. I feel urgency to be recruiting defensive backs and offering playing time. What does Fleck know that we don't?
Keep the two we got so far and add Douglas as a DB and Norwood and suddenly things look much better. I'm sure PJ has a plan!!
No one can explain where we get the dbacks from for next year, even if Shenault and Winfild can play, we are still thin.

Duke only counts as half a player because he is suspended for half of every game.

I'd say it's more dullusional to "worry". I guarantee that there are guys on the roster that will fill in if needed. We won't be great, but we are nowhere near "life support".

I'd say it's more dullusional to "worry". I guarantee that there are guys on the roster that will fill in if needed. We won't be great, but we are nowhere near "life support".

Would Mason level secondary qualify as life support?

Well here's what you're (most likely) losing:

Myrick, Travis, Hardin, Winfield, Buford, Dior Johnson, Shenault, Ace Rogers, Amoako...

That leaves who with game experience? Ayinde, McGhee, Zo Craighton, and Jacob Huff? How in the world could you not be worried about that?

Torn ACL and meniscus. Our DB situation is on life support

the worst thing about this injury is it was completely unnecessary and was caused by a cheap shot play by a Washington State wide receiver. If you recall the WSU receiver essentially horse collar tackled Coney Durr from behind after what I think was a turn over by WSU where Coney didn't even have the ball. As he was pulling him down from behind is when Durr's foot got caught in the turf and this injury happened. Unfair to Coney that's for sure.

I'm a little concerned but we also don't know for sure the fate of the suspended guys. Could end up being that several will be able to play next season.

I'm a little concerned but we also don't know for sure the fate of the suspended guys. Could end up being that several will be able to play next season.

I'm almost positive they're gone, hope I'm wrong though.

the worst thing about this injury is it was completely unnecessary and was caused by a cheap shot play by a Washington State wide receiver. If you recall the WSU receiver essentially horse collar tackled Coney Durr from behind after what I think was a turn over by WSU where Coney didn't even have the ball. As he was pulling him down from behind is when Durr's foot got caught in the turf and this injury happened. Unfair to Coney that's for sure.

Is that how it went down? I could have sworn it was on a run play to Durr's side and the crappy sod gave way beneath Durr's right foot as he was trying to stand up the blocker.

Is that how it went down? I could have sworn it was on a run play to Durr's side and the crappy sod gave way beneath Durr's right foot as he was trying to stand up the blocker.

you may be right and i may be mistaking exactly when the injury happened. my apologies if i am mixing them up. what i primarily recall is the sod playing a part and also what seemed like rather unnecessary blocking/contact by a WSU player on Durr that truly instigated the whole injury.

I believe it was a running play where the WSU receiver wouldn't let him go and fell on him after his foot slid on the sod

you may be right and i may be mistaking exactly when the injury happened. my apologies if i am mixing them up. what i primarily recall is the sod playing a part and also what seemed like rather unnecessary blocking/contact by a WSU player on Durr that truly instigated the whole injury.

Yeah either way it's too bad and i am hoping he can get back out there. Is that combo of injuries typically longer than 9 months of recovery?

Yeah either way it's too bad and i am hoping he can get back out there. Is that combo of injuries typically longer than 9 months of recovery?

My total non-medical guess - I just had my meniscus cleaned up. They ended up removing the damaged area because it was torn on an edge. If it tears in the middle (I think like Adrian Peterson), and they choose to sew it back together, then the healing time is a lot longer. So basically it might depend on the type of meniscus tear.

By my count we had 21 DB's on the 2016 roster. 5 graduated. 5 are currently on suspension. That leaves 11. Ayinde indicated he wasn't coming back, then said he might? Coney is out, at least until fall optimistically. That would make 9 DB's on the roster. 6 of those 9 remaining were Freshmen or RS/FR Kinda curious how we can't be solely targeting DB's with our remaining scholarships? Does it mean Ayinde is coming back and Fleck has received assurances the 5 suspended are likely to be eligible or?

You misunderstood Ayinde. All he meant was that it was his last game with his current teammates, meaning the 2016 team, not as a Golden Gopher.

Well here's what you're (most likely) losing:

Myrick, Travis, Hardin, Winfield, Buford, Dior Johnson, Shenault, Ace Rogers, Amoako...

That leaves who with game experience? Ayinde, McGhee, Zo Craighton, and Jacob Huff? How in the world could you not be worried about that?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Feel better? Next man up. We have no clue what the plan is. Coaches do. I do not "worry".

Maybe I'm getting too old and cynical, but I still laugh a little everytime I see a tweet or announcement that surgery was "successful."

Has anyone in modern sports history ever announced that surgery was "unsuccessful?"

In all seriousness, Durr looks like a very promising young player, and considering the uncertainty in the secondary, it would help if he's available this fall. Mid-September would be 9 months after surgery, so assuming no complications in rehab, he certainly has a chance to play this fall.

Maybe I'm getting too old and cynical, but I still laugh a little everytime I see a tweet or announcement that surgery was "successful."

Has anyone in modern sports history ever announced that surgery was "unsuccessful?"

In all seriousness, Durr looks like a very promising young player, and considering the uncertainty in the secondary, it would help if he's available this fall. Mid-September would be 9 months after surgery, so assuming no complications in rehab, he certainly has a chance to play this fall.

On younger guys, successful is pretty common.

Older guys, say baseball, I've seen unsuccessful and retirement follows.

Successful as in making the joint functional again and making it capable to perform elite athletic movements are not necessarily the same

Unsuccessful means - 1st surgery not enough - try again later. Or career over.

Top Bottom