Completely convinced that Brewster must go

Reaction score
The team was reasonably competitive today but there were some issues that make me think that Brewster has no chance. I hate that they ran the same damn play 20+ times today, and I hate that there has to be some ideology of "pound the rock" where mixing some passes, a reverse to Stoudermire, etc would been effective IMO. I hate that he has to take the approach you MUST run the ball all the time out of a 1 WR set, even when it isn't working.

I just saw no creativity and no way to mix it up. You don't need to run it just for the sake of running it on 1st down. It was basically Brad Childress on the field today (he did the same thing in New Orleans).

There is absolutely no reason to waste plays and put yourself into 3rd down situations just for the sake of some stupid "pound the rock" ideology. If you are really, really, really good at it like Wisconsin is, or like Mason was, then it can work. If you aren't good enough to special in one phase of the game, you simply cannot do it.

So that is my reasoning - I saw nothing that indicated that he can actually develop a game plan that gets the most out of every play and its just bad coaching. He needs to go.

I also thought it was especially telling that he essentially told the announcing crew that he wanted to get 2 first downs on every drive to change the field position. Barf. How about wanting to score on every drive? Obviously it isn't possible to do that but it seems like his game plan was to simply run the ball and punt more often than try to throw the ball and score. Seems like a very defeatist attitude to me.

I also thought it was especially telling that he essentially told the announcing crew that he wanted to get 2 first downs on every drive to change the field position. Barf. How about wanting to score on every drive? Obviously it isn't possible to do that but it seems like his game plan was to simply run the ball and punt more often than try to throw the ball and score. Seems like a very defeatist attitude to me.

Brewster's goal has gone from taking Gopher Nation to Pasadena to simply not having any 3 and outs vs. USC. What a joke. I'm sure he let go a big sigh of relief when Gray scored that garbage TD with :11 left so he could at least brag about almost covering the spread depsite USC screwing around with their PAT's all day.

Think of the beauty of Brew's strategy over 4 years. We've run every kind of offense but the option and he's proved without a doubt that none of his recruits can excel at any of them. 4 years in, he still can't find better than Weber, Collado or Theret. He's been so good at recruiting we have freshman corners that people like us that follow the team have never heard of starting against USC. BRILLIANT! And really, you can't walk away from this game saying Weber and our brutal offense lost, or our awful coverage defense lost it or our lost our lanes special teams either. It was one of those special games where we got beat at all 3 phases of the game. Nice...

I am fine with Brewster going and it is probably deserved, but there was nothing in today's game that brought that to the forefront.

The vanilla approach to the game had us ahead in the middle of the 3rd quarter and is the antithesis to the much ripped on Fisch offense.

Furthermore, bringing up the NO/Vikes game is odd. The Vikes problem was that they abandoned the run in the second half they didn't score a point. The Vikes pounded the rock in the 1st half and had a lead and scored all 10 of their points.

Think of the beauty of Brew's strategy over 4 years. We've run every kind of offense but the option and he's proved without a doubt that none of his recruits can excel at any of them. 4 years in, he still can't find better than Weber, Collado or Theret. He's been so good at recruiting we have freshman corners that people like us that follow the team have never heard of starting against USC. BRILLIANT! And really, you can't walk away from this game saying Weber and our brutal offense lost, or our awful coverage defense lost it or our lost our lanes special teams either. It was one of those special games where we got beat at all 3 phases of the game. Nice...

By a much better team....

Like I said, I am fine with Brew get lambasted on these boards, the team is a failure, however we simply got beat by a much more talented football team.

Furthermore, if you haven't heard of Vareen and M. Carter than you don't follow the Gophers like the rest of Gopherhole.

Like I said, I am fine with Brew get lambasted on these boards, the team is a failure, however we simply got beat by a much more talented football team.

Furthermore, if you haven't heard of Vareen and M. Carter than you don't follow the Gophers like the rest of Gopherhole.

I know M. Carter just fine. I don't remember Vareen, but maybe I just quit paying attention because our class was so mediocre last year...

There is no doubt USC was a more talented team. That's my point. We were told we got a coach who never lost a recruiting battle (his words). Well clearly our talent is no where near a depleted USC team, which is saying a lot...

This game was winnable and quite frankly, I think a good coach would've won it. Maybe even Mason.

This game was winnable and quite frankly, I think a good coach would've won it. Maybe even Mason.

I agree. USC was very underwhelming. And a desperate team like the Gophers could've stolen one here, I'd think.

Furthermore, bringing up the NO/Vikes game is odd. The Vikes problem was that they abandoned the run in the second half they didn't score a point. The Vikes pounded the rock in the 1st half and had a lead and scored all 10 of their points.

I brought it up because the first series of the game was the exact same offense (1 WR) and the same result - 3 runs and a punt.

This isn't 1950. You can't just line up in a goal-line formation and ram it up the middle 30 times.

I am fine with Brewster going and it is probably deserved, but there was nothing in today's game that brought that to the forefront.

The vanilla approach to the game had us ahead in the middle of the 3rd quarter and is the antithesis to the much ripped on Fisch offense.

I agree that today's game should not be the basis for decision making. Obviously, I would have loved a win, but other than the TD on the kickoff, we were playing pretty evenly with an elite CFB team. I know they have sanctions, etc., but they still have outstanding athletes.

I think the N Ill game will tell us more than the USC game ever could have.

N ILL made a game of it with Illinois, so I don't think its necessary for us to blow them away in order for Brewster to make his case. At the end, however, it should be obvious to everyone that Minnesota was the fundamentally superior team in all segments of the game. If not, the seat gets hotter.

Like I said, I am fine with Brew get lambasted on these boards, the team is a failure, however we simply got beat by a much more talented football team. QUOTE]

Are you talking about last weekend???

I brought it up because the first series of the game was the exact same offense (1 WR) and the same result - 3 runs and a punt.

This isn't 1950. You can't just line up in a goal-line formation and ram it up the middle 30 times.

Obviously. Because last years offense was SOOO much better.

I don't doubt--barring a major turnaround--that Brewster is "dead coach walking." The co-ordinator carousel is what is going to do him in more than anything else. He didn't get the team identity established for his regime and if you aren't going to get top-drawer kids (more about that later), you better get kids who fit the system you are running and build them up in that system. Three different offenses in four years and three different defenses over the same time period, and you've got problems. Brewster has simply not built a foundation.

His recruiting has been better than previous coaches, but today was a prime example of a team full of 4- and 5-star guys beating a team of 2- and 3-star guys. Jerry Burns used to say that football games often boil down to a half dozen plays or so and you could see today that USC was winning on those big plays. More powerful and faster runners. Lightning fast wide-receivers (one of whom was a kick returner). Solid quarterback with a big arm (although he didn't play well today). Tight ends who can run faster backwards than our LBs can run forward. In other words, Brewster bringing in better athletes--and I believe he has done that--hasn't given the team the talent reservoir necessary to overcome the constant re-arranging of the offensive and defensive schemes.

He did is best. I appreciate his passion and positivity. But it probably isn't going to be enough to save his job. And maybe that's the way it should be.

But that method sure worked better for the Vikes in week 1 than opening it up worked. That method also had us a lead in the middle of the 3rd quarter of this game.

Again, I'm not arguing that Brew coached a good game or that this loss was a feather in the cap by any means, but I still haven't heard a single thing on this thread to indicate that our offensive play calling couldn't win that game (when it was winning it 3/4 of the way through the game).

Like I said, I am fine with Brew get lambasted on these boards, the team is a failure, however we simply got beat by a much more talented football team. QUOTE]

Are you talking about last weekend???

Nope, last weekend he got humiliated by a far inferior team and deserves every bit of the criticism that he received. I try not to drink too much of the Kool Aid either way. In the loss to USD, I think that will end his career at MN (deservedly), it was terrible and he should get ripped to all ends. However, this week, even though I guess i'm now part of the "Fire Brewster Bandwagon", he coached fine. He had us in a position to be in the game towards the end. That is all you can expect from a coach with much less skill. So, while I don't want him to be the coach next year, I still think this week was not about coaching in the least.

I agree Bob. For the most part, I thought Brew coached a decent game and the coaches had a good gameplan.

We don't have the talent USC does. While the playcalling was very vanilla and too predictable for my taste, at least what were doing had some logic behind it. I wonder what would have happened with some more courage in playcalling and maybe a mixing in a little more play action pass.

I would be more impressed if this thread had been started when the Gophers were ahead in the 3rd quarter.

I agree Bob. For the most part, I thought Brew coached a decent game and the coaches had a good gameplan.

We don't have the talent USC does. While the playcalling was very vanilla and too predictable for my taste, at least what were doing had some logic behind it. I wonder what would have happened with some more courage in playcalling and maybe a mixing in a little more play action pass.

There is no logic behind running the same play that was routinely stuffed for no gain.

Hey, on the plus side, Horton certainly has simplified the offense.

Year 1 - Implement a plan
Year 2 - Bring in / develop players that fit your plan
Year 3 - You're hitting on all cylinders

Look at Michigan, Nebraska, WI under Alvarez, etc. Brewster's failure, IMO, has been that there has been no plan. Other's mentioned it, but it's sad that in year 4 we are a completely different offense than we were in year 1, 2 or 3.

Just my thoughts but I think Brew's failure has been the lack of identity for the team under his tenure.

I think Brewster had a plan........and then he changed it 3 times. I don't think he was really rooted in any plan, he just picked what he thought would be good at the time and changed his mind 3 times. You can't do that. Most football coaches have an identity and you know exactly who they are and what they want to do. We can't really say that with Brewster. He wants to me Mr "pound the rock" now, but if that is all we wanted we could have kept Mason. He didn't get the greatest recruits but he DID get recruits that fit his system very well on offense. Brewster took a running offense, turned it completely around into a spread, then a few years later turned it all the way back again. In the process he wasted about 4 years.

At least Weber didn't fumble today, or throw a pick, and he certainly connected on all his easy short passes.

I still think the team quit after the KO return. No excuse for that, on either side of the ball, get some self pride.

I think the N Ill game will tell us more than the USC game ever could have.

N ILL made a game of it with Illinois, so I don't think its necessary for us to blow them away in order for Brewster to make his case. At the end, however, it should be obvious to everyone that Minnesota was the fundamentally superior team in all segments of the game. If not, the seat gets hotter.

I think all of us need to get our minds around the fact that it's more likely we lose all of our remaining games than win even one or two more....no matter who we are playing....N ILL is one of 10 remaining teams with talent light yrs ahead of USD-do the math-the game is over before it even started.

I know M. Carter just fine. I don't remember Vareen, but maybe I just quit paying attention because our class was so mediocre last year...

There is no doubt USC was a more talented team. That's my point. We were told we got a coach who never lost a recruiting battle (his words). Well clearly our talent is no where near a depleted USC team, which is saying a lot...

If you don't know who Brock Vereen is than you know very little about this team Mr. Superfan.

Top Bottom