Column: Urban Meyer represents everything wrong with college sports

station19

Reaction score
"Urban Meyer is a superb football coach. His record speaks for itself. In 14 seasons at four different schools he is 128-23. He went undefeated and won a BCS bowl game while at Utah. He won two national championships in six seasons at Florida and is 24-0 since taking over at Ohio State. At just 49 years old, he's a lock Hall of Famer.

He is also everything that is wrong with college athletics today.

It isn't just that Meyer is about winning and winning only. That doesn't make him any different than 99 percent of the coaches who are paid millions of dollars to win at the big-time level in football and basketball.

What separates Meyer from most of his colleagues is his ability to sell the notion that he's clean when there's dirt and mud all over him. If you bring up all the Florida players who were arrested during his time in Gainesville, his defenders will howl at the unfairness of it all. Some charges were dropped, and some of the charges were relatively minor. That's what the Meyer-backers claim constantly."

http://www.twincities.com/popular/c...thing-wrong-college-sports?source=most_viewed

There was a report that Urban met with the Big 10 Officials, Delaney, and told the commissioner the punishment given the players was sufficient. They had been expelled and missed the second half of the game and no further punishment was needed. And presto, Delaney comes out with the statement. If you need further proof that the Big 10 is all about Ohio State, look no further.

If someone other than Ohio State could ever be in the position to bring a national title to the Big 10, the league would respond in the exact same way.

Column: Feinstein's Moral Grandstanding Represents Everything Wrong with Journalism

There was a report that Urban met with the Big 10 Officials, Delaney, and told him the punishment given the players was sufficient. They had been expelled and missed the second half of the game and no further punishment was needed. And presto, Delaney comes out with the statement. If you need further proof that the Big 10 is all about Ohio State, look no further.

Had the player made a football play, targeted, and been ejected he would have sat the 1st half of the B1G championship game. If he punches and gives the finger to the crowd, he starts the next week. The OL should be sitting this week and the other player sitting the 1st half.

If someone other than Ohio State could ever be in the position to bring a national title to the Big 10, the league would respond in the exact same way.

Still doesn't make it right.

"Urban Meyer is a superb football coach. His record speaks for itself. In 14 seasons at four different schools he is 128-23. He went undefeated and won a BCS bowl game while at Utah. He won two national championships in six seasons at Florida and is 24-0 since taking over at Ohio State. At just 49 years old, he's a lock Hall of Famer.

He is also everything that is wrong with college athletics today.

It isn't just that Meyer is about winning and winning only. That doesn't make him any different than 99 percent of the coaches who are paid millions of dollars to win at the big-time level in football and basketball.

What separates Meyer from most of his colleagues is his ability to sell the notion that he's clean when there's dirt and mud all over him. If you bring up all the Florida players who were arrested during his time in Gainesville, his defenders will howl at the unfairness of it all. Some charges were dropped, and some of the charges were relatively minor. That's what the Meyer-backers claim constantly."

http://www.twincities.com/popular/c...thing-wrong-college-sports?source=most_viewed

i like how he blames meyer for his defenders. real solid

Certainly think the guy who (in addition to what he did on the field) flipped the bird and went nutzo on the sidelines should have been suspended either by OSU or the Big Ten, but in truth I'd rather have both teams at full strength. I'm guessing MSU would prefer it that way, too. ... beat Ohio State at their best.

Sorry, I think Feinstein is exactly right, he is the same phony he was at Florida.

He is judging someone by false standards. Major college football coaches are hired to do two things: win a lot of football games and not break the rules. The rest is white noise. Despite what holier-than-thou types might protest, they are not hired to be bastions of light against moral turpitude. If people don't want lawbreakers playing football, they need to pass rules against lawbreakers playing football. Until then, Meyer is playing perfectly within the rules. People whine about it because he wins a lot of football games.

This word is so overused.

Not nearly as much as athleticism. Turpitude at least has a definition. Athleticism is used when one can't think of a defined term to describe someone.

Urban Meyer was also hired to represent the university in a positive way. I dont believe this reflects well on the university, and that is the problem.

It's hard to defend Meyer, but I feel this is just another assault on the Big 10. He's no "dirtier" than any coach in the SEC, it's just that OSU is last pillar of the Big 10 that needs to be toppled before the national media has their wish realized.

This was Delaney a couple of years ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/sports/ncaafootball/03auburn.html?ref=sports&_r=0

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102011aae.html

The Big 10 is known for it academics, they use terms like integrity, sportsmanship, and it was Delaney who launched leaders, legends. This higher ground, the student athlete.

Based on Delaney's passed statements, and Urban's passed behavior this ruling flies in the face of everything Delaney has said and done. They should be outraged at MSU, and every other school who professes the former. Delaney has made a deal with the devil in the hopes that Ohio State can win a National Championship. I for one am rooting against Ohio State. Go Sparty! Win one for Everett!

He is judging someone by false standards. Major college football coaches are hired to do two things: win a lot of football games and not break the rules. The rest is white noise. Despite what holier-than-thou types might protest, they are not hired to be bastions of light against moral turpitude. If people don't want lawbreakers playing football, they need to pass rules against lawbreakers playing football. Until then, Meyer is playing perfectly within the rules. People whine about it because he wins a lot of football games.

So when you refuse to accept Clem's 1997 record because it would wreck your Tubby had the best results in the last 23 years (or whatever) assertion, are you one of those being "holier than thou" or is that totally different because ... ?

Does this jounalist really know the full story of what happed in Florida, and what happened internally at Ohio State after last week. This piece is filled with opinion and conjecture, some of which may be true, but some of which is hate and jealously too.

Just an opinion piece, that some will support and some will reject. Nothing more, nothing less.

So when you refuse to accept Clem's 1997 record because it would wreck your Tubby had the best results in the last 23 years (or whatever) assertion, are you one of those being "holier than thou" or is that totally different because ... ?

Yes, it is completely different, because the NCAA is the judge of on-field competition, not U.S. law. If Meyer were in violation of NCAA rules, I would be equally apoplectic. He hasn't broken any (or at least has been smart enough to not get caught), so people grasp at straws in order to frame him up because he wins a lot.

My refusal to accept the "Final Four appearance" is because I want to win legitimately, not by cheating. The NCAA agrees with me.

Not nearly as much as athleticism. Turpitude at least has a definition. Athleticism is used when one can't think of a defined term to describe someone.

terp-i-tude
noun
manner, disposition, feeling, position, etc., with regard to a person or thing; tendency or orientation, especially of the minds at the University of Maryland.

If we are to judge football coaches by the acts of their players, what does that say about Leslie Frazier?

He is judging someone by false standards. Major college football coaches are hired to do two things: win a lot of football games and not get caught breaking the rules.

Let me fix that a bit.

I read the article earlier today, and I feel the same way as dpo.

I keep saying this, but major college football is big business and big time entertainment, and it's inherently dirty. Probably dirtier than any other major sport in this country except maybe boxing (which isn't that major anymore). Once you come to accept that what you enjoy is not, probably has not ever been, and probably never will be clean and fair, but is just another form of big money entertainment, it becomes easier to swallow people like Meyer, and stories like the Ok State deal from earlier this fall.

Wouldn't really mind Urban at all if it wasn't for the fact that when he was with ESPN, he often railed about how dirty college football is. Everyone knows college football is a complete cesspool. Yet Urban, a coach who has been long rumored to be very involved in a lot of the type of dirtiness that is commonplace, felt the need to lecture everybody about how bad it was.

I could take such lecturing from a coach who indeed tried to distance themselves from the status quo. But Urban is not that guy and he should stop trying to tell everybody what's wrong with college football when he either coached or is coaching at schools that have leaped head-long into the "football above all else" approach.

I don't even care. There is no point is targeting coaches when the bigger issue is the NCAA itself.

Had the player made a football play, targeted, and been ejected he would have sat the 1st half of the B1G championship game. If he punches and gives the finger to the crowd, he starts the next week. The OL should be sitting this week and the other player sitting the 1st half.

That's what makes the whole thing so ridiculous.

Top Bottom