Colorado Tickets Left

Atmosphere has been great honestly for every game I’ve been to since at least 2019! Anyone that thinks watching on TV is comparable is not doing it right (assume no or small tailgate).
Agreed, 2019 was the turning point when it came to atmosphere. Tailgate has exploded, fans are engaged, the whole game day experience is on the upswing.

In regards to Colorado, prices are probably a bit steep against a weak P5 opponent, but the home slate is overall weak this year, so it is what it is. I still think we'll have a fairly full stadium at kick and the overall atmosphere will be fun. Maybe my perspective is skewed because we sit next to the student section, but its been consistently loud and fun since 2019.

The U has very clearly prioritized season ticket holders and this is part of that. If they discount tickets too much, then there is no resale value, so they need to make single game tickets more expensive. I'm personally in favor of that policy because it gives people incentive to just spring for the full season rather than try to pick one or two games.
I actually don't mind this. For years (basically my entire time as a Gopher fan) they had so many games with $5 and $10 tickets that season ticket holders were spending so much more...but we supported our program regardless. This is really an incentive to get a season ticket, for $320 (or is it $340, I can remember) or the Gold pass thing, it's a steal when a NC game like this is $70.

If they don't sell by Friday, I would rather they give them to school groups, non profits, etc. to still fill up the Bank, but not devalue the tickets (plus obviously going to those who woudln't be able to go otherwise).

But for many watching Big 10 football on their HD TV, computer, tablet or phone is just as satisfying, and more cost efficient.

Seeing an image of a Big Mac doesn't make me any less hungry.

Side note, I happened to have a Big Mac yesterday for a $1. First one in a year, probably. It was bundled (buy 1 get 1 for a $1) with chicken McNugetts. It was just fine.
Sure. But people don’t always make the most cost efficient decisions. And if people don’t want to pay to see Colorado play that’s OK. I don’t think think slashing prices and upsetting your season ticket holders is good business.

Big Macs aren’t great.

Attendance is dropping with each win. The Gophers received less votes and dropped in several polls after winning by 52. The cheerleading squads have dropped from 3 units to 2.

It’s like the old Star Trek episode when the Enterprise got stuck in a parallel universe and Spok had a beard.
I think you mean Spock. Spok was his slightly deformed brother who never amounted to much.

Agreed, 2019 was the turning point when it came to atmosphere. Tailgate has exploded, fans are engaged, the whole game day experience is on the upswing.

In regards to Colorado, prices are probably a bit steep against a weak P5 opponent, but the home slate is overall weak this year, so it is what it is. I still think we'll have a fairly full stadium at kick and the overall atmosphere will be fun. Maybe my perspective is skewed because we sit next to the student section, but its been consistently loud and fun since 2019.
I’m open end zone and find the same on my end!

The atmosphere has been great the last few years, so from a fan environment perspective getting a sellout is not a priority. The athletic dept. wants more season tickets, so why would they discount single-game tickets every week just to try to get a sellout? They are trying to get new season tickets sold and the pricing reflects that.

Madison is an hour away from Green Bay which is an hour away from Milwaukee. It would be Gophers playing in Rochester. Pro Sports teams in Minneapolis and Vikings in Duluth or Mankato. A better comparison is USC/UCLA, Arizona St and Miami.
Your analogy is correct... the drive times are... GB is 1 1/2 hours from Madison and Milwaukee is about 2 1/2 hours.

Twins, Saints, MN United, Vikings, Wild, Wolves, Gophs Basketball, Gophs Hockey, etc. Many fairly expensive ways to spend your sports dollar here. Add in all the arts, theater and music options and there's way, way more things competing for you discretionary dollars than what's in Iowa.
I know what you're saying, and I pretty much agree. But I always get a little chuckle when the theater angle is brought in. I mean, I seriously doubt people like this are going to go to the theater. Ever.
VikingFans.jpg

Sure. But people don’t always make the most cost efficient decisions. And if people don’t want to pay to see Colorado play that’s OK. I don’t think think slashing prices and upsetting your season ticket holders is good business.

Big Macs aren’t great.
It is a balancing act, hitting that sweet spot is difficult between attracting single game or (multipack sales) while providing value/incentive for Season tix. Totally understand that.

For reference though, I have had friends approach me about getting tix for this Colorado game in my section (chairback/Visitor side inside the 20 yd line). Gophersports is setting the price at $150. No chance they will pay that much, zero. I would be shocked if anyone else does either.

There has to be a better happy medium.

Getting a NonConf opponent from a P5 Conference is rare, I think think the Buffalos will be the 5th time in Stadium history. Would be nice to get a crowd in the 45,000 range, but I suspect this will be the smallest crowd of the other 5 games. I also understand there are other factors:

Cal - 2nd game ever
USC - Marquee opponent
Syracuse - Prime Time
TCU - 2014 success built momentum for season opener

It is a balancing act, hitting that sweet spot is difficult between attracting single game or (multipack sales) while providing value/incentive for Season tix. Totally understand that.

For reference though, I have had friends approach me about getting tix for this Colorado game in my section (chairback/Visitor side inside the 20 yd line). Gophersports is setting the price at $150. No chance they will pay that much, zero. I would be shocked if anyone else does either.

Getting a NonConf opponent from a P5 Conference is rare, I think think the Buffalos will be the 5th time in Stadium history. Would be nice to get a crowd in the 45,000 range, but I suspect this will be the smallest crowd of the other 5 games. I also understand there are other factors:

Cal - 2nd game ever
USC - Marquee opponent
Syracuse - Prime Time
I’m sure there is a happy medium but what is your per game cost with season tickets? Because if you let people pick and choose games for a similar cost to season tickets you lose STHers.

You also cite the rarity of a P5 non-conference team which you’d think would increase ticket prices.

FWIW I don’t care about Colorado. I’m trying to go but have some family obligations I am trying to slip out of because I like going to games.

Cal - 2nd game ever
USC - Marquee opponent
Syracuse - Prime Time
Oregon State as well. It has gotten harder with 3 nonconference games, and it's usually a home and home, so the alternating has an affect on the home games.

Cal - 2nd game ever
USC - Marquee opponent
Syracuse - Prime Time

There was/is also a mini-plan deal the U was offering on its website where if you tried to buy a single game ticket to one of the premium games - Colorado, Purdue and Iowa - you could pair it with another ticket to any other home game for a solid 2-game discount.

Oregon State as well. It has gotten harder with 3 nonconference games, and it's usually a home and home, so the alternating has an affect on the home games.
Thanks for reminding me on that one, good catch. 6 over 13 years is not a horrible ratio. Also should have had BYU but cancelled due to COVID. Not exactly a P5 team in 2020, but sort of and will be again shortly in the Big 12.

I’m sure there is a happy medium but what is your per game cost with season tickets? Because if you let people pick and choose games for a similar cost to season tickets you lose STHers.

You also cite the rarity of a P5 non-conference team which you’d think would increase ticket prices.

FWIW I don’t care about Colorado. I’m trying to go but have some family obligations I am trying to slip out of because I like going to games.
My cost is tricky, depending on whether of not the "mandatory donation" is factored in, which is a whole other can of worms. Without that, my cost is roughly $47/game, with it goes to about $90.

Personally, I would not think my Season Ticket value would not be diminished if they were selling seats in my section in the $80-$90 range, well below the $150 current sticker price (for this week).

Thanks for reminding me on that one, good catch. 6 over 13 years is not a horrible ratio. Also should have had BYU but cancelled due to COVID. Not exactly a P5 team in 2020, but sort of and will be again shortly in the Big 12.
Since the number of conference games expanded to 9 in 2016, I have liked the fact that we alternate the four or five B1G home games each year with a P5 non-conf opponent at home during the year when the four B1G games are on the schedule, thus giving five P5 home games every season. It was set up that way for the foreseeable future with NC, Cal and Miss St on the "current" schedule, but all bets are off with USC/UCLA (plus others?) in the mix - everything will likely change.

My cost is tricky, depending on whether of not the "mandatory donation" is factored in, which is a whole other can of worms. Without that, my cost is roughly $47/game, with it goes to about $90.

Personally, I would not think my Season Ticket value would not be diminished if they were selling seats in my section in the $80-$90 range, well below the $150 current sticker price (for this week).
Well of course the donation is factored in. That would be insane to not factor it in.

You're in the minority. If people can pay less to attend the good games and not have to buy tickets for NMSU and Western Illinois, season tickets would drop and thats the base you have to have.

Well of course the donation is factored in. That would be insane to not factor it in.

You're in the minority. If people can pay less to attend the good games and not have to buy tickets for NMSU and Western Illinois, season tickets would drop and thats the base you have to have.
There are other pricing formulas that could potentially satisfy single game and season ticket purchasers. For a simple example in my zone (lower level chair back):

New Mex St & W Illinois - $50 each
Colorado, Purdue, Rutgers & Northwestern - $100 each
Iowa - $200

That would be a total of $700 and still be more than the $630 than I spent. $70 is not insignificant, in my opinion.

I don't pretend the have the answers, to maximize revenue. I just know at $150 a pop for Colorado, almost zero chance those tickets move, and the opportunity to sell merch, food, parking etc that goes with it.

There are other pricing formulas that could potentially satisfy single game and season ticket purchasers. For a simple example in my zone (lower level chair back):

New Mex St & W Illinois - $50 each
Colorado, Purdue, Rutgers & Northwestern - $100 each
Iowa - $200

That would be a total of $700 and still be more than the $630 than I spent. $70 is not insignificant, in my opinion.

I don't pretend the have the answers, to maximize revenue. I just know at $150 a pop for Colorado, almost zero chance those tickets move, and the opportunity to sell merch, food, parking etc that goes with it.
I don’t disagree. I also don’t worry too much about it. If they sell 2000 seats at $75 it doesn’t change the budget. I think last years athletic budget was a bit over $120 million.

I like to go. I buy tickets for friends and family all the time. If it’s too expensive for people they don’t have to attend. Games against perceived better opponents seem to sellout. Games that are deemed crappy do not. I’m good with it

I don’t disagree. I also don’t worry too much about it. If they sell 2000 seats at $75 it doesn’t change the budget. I think last years athletic budget was a bit over $120 million.

I like to go. I buy tickets for friends and family all the time. If it’s too expensive for people they don’t have to attend. Games against perceived better opponents seem to sellout. Games that are deemed crappy do not. I’m good with it

I don't fret much about it either, as long as attendance is at least in the 80% or higher range, seems to be adequate to pay the bills.

Also, bigger crowds play better on TV and helps attract recruits & students at large, but that's above my pay grade to worry about.

We’re just not there yet. You can’t jack up the prices when you’re not even sold out year in and year out.

Simple Microeconomics with supplies and demand.

Would you pay $55 for a Big Mac?
In CA you might have to. New fast food minimum wage law.

filling the stadium should be the priority, lower single game ticket prices vs bad opponents

filling the stadium should be the priority, lower single game ticket prices vs bad opponents

They can't just lower ticket prices by the week because an opponent they scheduled 7 years ago ends up being shitty. Why would anyone buy season tickets then?

P5 non-conference opponents always will - and should - be considered a premium game.

Will be attending my first ever game at Huntington/TCF Bank Stadium this Saturday. Been to several games in the old Metrodome and saw the Gophs in LA, Vegas, FT Collins, Las Cruces and Phoenix the last 10 years. Just haven’t been to The Bank since moving out to AZ many years ago. Ski U Mah!

Will be attending my first ever game at Huntington/TCF Bank Stadium this Saturday. Been to several games in the old Metrodome and saw the Gophs in LA, Vegas, FT Collins, Las Cruces and Phoenix the last 10 years. Just haven’t been to The Bank since moving out to AZ many years ago. Ski U Mah!
Enjoy it! You’ll love it especially seeing us win!

I promise you this. Win these next 2 games (Colorado and @Michigan State) and the Homecoming vs Purdue will be a sellout, no doubt about it. Iowa game should be a sell out because it should be a division clinching game.

I promise you this. Win these next 2 games (Colorado and @Michigan State) and the Homecoming vs Purdue will be a sellout, no doubt about it. Iowa game should be a sell out because it should be a division clinching game.
I think it would be top 4 for greatest pregame atmosphere for a game at TCF Bank for me. 2013 & 2019 Wisconsin along with 2019 Penn State.

Top Bottom