College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

It shouldn't change. Good programs are still able hang onto the majority of their good players even through the NIL struggles. One example is Boo Buie at NW. They have less NIL than we do and he could have gotten paid a lot to play anywhere but stuck with NW. PJ is also able to hang onto the majority of his players for football and there are significantly more mouths to feed there.

Another down year next year and the Barn will be even more ghostly than it was this season, and it was really bad for most of this season. Men's BBall still generates the 2nd most revenue of any sport at the U. It doesn't make sesne to let the program continue to flounder into oblivion.
I have no information to the contrary but just wondering how you know with certainty that Northwestern has less NIL money than Minnesota? Do you have access to actual numbers for the two schools?

Also, do you know exactly how money is distributed between Gopher football and basketball. Is it even, proportionately to roster size?

There most certainly was and is a group here that supports cbj no matter.

You have with your if , maybe, could, might, just your own post right here. You are the epitome of what you just said doesn't exist.
And there is also certainly was and is a group of delusional morons here who believe people on a message board have something to do with who is the coach.

Odd after millions of screeching posts none of you yet realizes how stupid you are to believe that.

And there is also certainly was and is a group of delusional morons here who believe people on a message board have something to do with who is the coach.

Odd after millions of screeching posts none of you yet realizes how stupid you are to believe that.
I don't believe anyone here has said people on a message board have control over who coaches Mn men's bb.

Carry on daka$$.

They were the last B1G program to have a NIL collective, which was just started last year.
yep. don't think NU's collective will be the big source of NIL any time soon. TrueNU is a 501c3 and focused on connecting nonprofits with athletes. the bigger NIL would likely come in from the for profit companies

still waiting to hear something on the order of steve balmer stepping up and providing massive NIL to Harvard's athletes, his alma mater. sadly, it doesn't look like the gophers have a billionaire in the pocket

speaking of which, hanging out in houston this week. a local law firm did an add that features the Houston Men's bball team heavily. thought that was a cool use of NIL vs the usual law firm adds

portal went over 1400 today. what are we thinking, 1800 total?

I have no information to the contrary but just wondering how you know with certainty that Northwestern has less NIL money than Minnesota? Do you have access to actual numbers for the two schools?

Also, do you know exactly how money is distributed between Gopher football and basketball. Is it even, proportionately to roster size?

He's not one of those people who needs concrete evidence. If he believes it's true, or believes it should be true, that's enough for him.

I don't believe anyone here has said people on a message board have control over who coaches Mn men's bb.

Carry on daka$$.
What then could be the purpose of your millions of bleated accusations that posters here are somehow defending Johnson too much and to the point they are prolonging his stay beyond your desire?

What then could be the purpose of your millions of bleated accusations that posters here are somehow defending Johnson too much and to the point they are prolonging his stay beyond your desire?

Very simple. Since you can't reach actual decision makers on a message board, you have to create the fantasy that others on the message board are their surrogates.

Very simple. Since you can't reach actual decision makers on a message board, you have to create the fantasy that others on the message board are their surrogates.
Sounds about right but the delusional fantasy is all in their minds. They create nothing in actuality.

Millions.
Daka$$.

This is the best source of NIL estimates I've seen which has the Gophers NIL collective at around ~7 million. I've also posted several times now that NW was the last B1G school to have a collective, and there is a link to an article from December stating NW fell well short of their $3 million goal for year 1.

Do I know exact numbers between the two? No, other than football gets most of it. Through the collective you can also donate directly to sports and people are far more likely to donate to a program that has had success under PJ, compared to one who has had none, under BJ.

On a side note it sounds like Wisconsin tripled their NlL money the last couple of years, estimated to be somewhere in the 2.5 to 3 million range each year.

This is the best source of NIL estimates I've seen which has the Gophers NIL collective at around ~7 million. I've also posted several times now that NW was the last B1G school to have a collective, and there is a link to an article from December stating NW fell well short of their $3 million goal for year 1.

Do I know exact numbers between the two? No, other than football gets most of it. Through the collective you can also donate directly to sports and people are far more likely to donate to a program that has had success under PJ, compared to one who has had none, under BJ.
Interesting link, there is so much grey area in all of this it is tough to know if the numbers are even close to accurate.

This whole concept of collectives is so odd and it is sad how accepted they have already become. I would hate to be a college coach right now, yes they are paid a ton of money but navigating all of this would be a massive pain. And we are raising a generation of players who are just in it for the money, even at the college level, which is a real bummer for college athletics.

Interesting link, there is so much grey area in all of this it is tough to know if the numbers are even close to accurate.

This whole concept of collectives is so odd and it is sad how accepted they have already become. I would hate to be a college coach right now, yes they are paid a ton of money but navigating all of this would be a massive pain. And we are raising a generation of players who are just in it for the money, even at the college level, which is a real bummer for college athletics.
Some will get paid but they will still be taken advantage of. I still think the schools that take the combination of sports and education seriously can fight back if they have the courage of any convictions. This cannot be benefiting very many programs.

Soon enough some underperforming player is going to sue someone because he was supposed to get an education and didn’t while he was cashing a $50,000 check.

Some will get paid but they will still be taken advantage of. I still think the schools that take the combination of sports and education seriously can fight back if they have the courage of any convictions. This cannot be benefiting very many programs.

Soon enough some underperforming player is going to sue someone because he was supposed to get an education and didn’t while he was cashing a $50,000 check.
Changing schools every year it is going to be tough to get a degree. I doubt it even comes into the equation though.

I want to state publicly that I am 99.9% certain that I have never had any influence whatsoever on any decision ever made by the University of Minnesota Athletic Department.

Minnesota native G Prince Aligbe in the portal. Good freshman year, got the yips as a sophomore

Everyone needs Christ on their side.

I would guess that the "i" has a short vowel sound. I hope so anyway particularly since he's going to a Catholic university. Of course, Saint Joe's is Jesuit and they have a historical reputation for being a bit rebellious.

Minnesota native G Prince Aligbe in the portal. Good freshman year, got the yips as a sophomore

An undersized 4. Didn't one of them just leave? Looking at his freshman and soph stats, they are pretty similar. His soph year was just a bit better.

The "dead period " is do dumb. You really think kids and coaches and collectives aren't talking? At this point just open it up European soccer style. Useless to have rules that no one follows

Top Bottom