College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

NW. They have less NIL than we do
probably NW has more. they have some billionaire alums that donate heavily. For example, billionaire Pat Ryan donated $480 million a few years ago. Really only takes one billionaire with a sincere interest in sports to bring in NIL

probably NW has more. they have some billionaire alums that donate heavily. For example, billionaire Pat Ryan donated $480 million a few years ago. Really only takes one billionaire with a sincere interest in sports to bring in NIL

They were the last B1G program to have a NIL collective, which was just started last year.

Some of you on this board are unreal. Ohh woe is us, we have nothing and poor CBJ he's just the best but he's just got no advantages let him stay. Are you that ignorant? Are we Duke KU UK etc, nope. Are we NIL giants like Texas Miami or USC nope. Are we going to consistently be a top end team like Purdue or Tennessee nope. That's fine, but some of you act like we are IUPUI or Coppin St. My God we are in the Big Ten and in a huge market. We should absolutely expect more! Does it suck when a Payne or others leave, sure, but that's life in the NIL world. I'm sure Howard wasn't enthused Hawkins left to come to a bigger school, they still figured it out and made the tournament again this year. Stop with this little engine that could thing and giving the coach excuse after excuse. He's playing the same poker game as everyone else and I bet he's got a far better hand than average. He's just getting terribly outplayed and some seem to not understand that.

It feels like the university is going to play a game of chicken with its basketball supporters. It sits and does nothing while the program swirls down the toilet and then will remind us they can’t do anything until supporters start paying the players. It’s almost like , “Pony up and we’ll think about getting a coach that can compete at this level, but we can’t compete until you pay more.” It’s a grim outlook in the near term.
"Help us pay for a new stadium that will enable us to reward our fans with higher team payrolls and better teams."

We've been fed this poop sandwich before.

Some of you on this board are unreal. Ohh woe is us, we have nothing and poor CBJ he's just the best but he's just got no advantages let him stay. Are you that ignorant? Are we Duke KU UK etc, nope. Are we NIL giants like Texas Miami or USC nope. Are we going to consistently be a top end team like Purdue or Tennessee nope. That's fine, but some of you act like we are IUPUI or Coppin St. My God we are in the Big Ten and in a huge market. We should absolutely expect more! Does it suck when a Payne or others leave, sure, but that's life in the NIL world. I'm sure Howard wasn't enthused Hawkins left to come to a bigger school, they still figured it out and made the tournament again this year. Stop with this little engine that could thing and giving the coach excuse after excuse. He's playing the same poker game as everyone else and I bet he's got a far better hand than average. He's just getting terribly outplayed and some seem to not understand that.

I'm not sure whose post you are referring to here. I'm certainly not giving him a pass. He has shortcomings that extend beyond whatever NIL deficit he has been found himself in. But the NIL deficit is not helpful and it's not something he can completely control. That's why I brought up the question. In my view, it will definitely impact the views of some.

You're 110% correct leib0039, this falls entirely on CBJ & his coaching staff. There were far too many games this year where he was so out-coached and the product on the floor didn't adjust. There will always be programs within the conference and NCAA that will have more financial resources, but CBJ needs to adapt and have contingency plans when players hit the portal. The fact that some fans are willing to move the goal posts because CBJ's roster is a turn-over nightmare, is just plain sad and we wonder why we are the laughing stock of other fan bases. I'm not saying you need to go hire a Coach K or Jay Wright, but after 3 garbage years with CBJ the future is not going to positively change. If you want to compete, hire a coach and staff with some actual experience...

You have to have both Leib- resources to compete in NIL AND a coach that people trust and believe will win. Regardless of what Ben will become - he has no track record to believe in at this point. Add to that we have a backwards administration and AD that fell behind the curve on NIL. If you listened to what they were saying just a year back- they were in denial that they would have to go big. Now they are caught with their pants down and a strategy that time has passed by. So if someone says- we need NIL- that is not a free pass for Ben- that's just reality.

I'm not sure whose post you are referring to here. I'm certainly not giving him a pass. He has shortcomings that extend beyond whatever NIL deficit he has been found himself in. But the NIL deficit is not helpful and it's not something he can completely control. That's why I brought up the question. In my view, it will definitely impact the views of some.

In order to generate more NIL, you also need a coach and a program that generates excitement. Ben just doesn't do that. A different coach could significantly improve it.

In order to generate more NIL, you also need a coach and a program that generates excitement. Ben just doesn't do that. A different coach could significantly improve it.
I've never met anyone that was successful at what they do while being "blessed" with low energy.

Some of you on this board are unreal. Ohh woe is us, we have nothing and poor CBJ he's just the best but he's just got no advantages let him stay. Are you that ignorant?
Who is saying anything even close to that?

You have a good portion of fans based on the poll about year 4 who feel there were enough positive signs in year 3 to warrant a year 4. But if year 4 is bad you will be hard pressed to find anyone that wants Johnson back for year 5.

Some of you want to keep acting like there is a faction here that will support Johnson no matter what but that group doesn't exist and never has. There were those of us willing to give it some time before giving up but that is about as far as the defense of Johnson goes.

This is exactly right - The Ben Johnson era is just bland right now. No energy, no NIL, woe is us, lotta frustration from the fan base (Of the fans that still actually follow the program)

You have a good portion of fans based on the poll about year 4 who feel there were enough positive signs in year 3 to warrant a year 4. But if year 4 is bad you will be hard pressed to find anyone that wants Johnson back for year 5.

Some of you want to keep acting like there is a faction here that will support Johnson no matter what but that group doesn't exist and never has. There were those of us willing to give it some time before giving up but that is about as far as the defense of Johnson goes.

I've always been a firm believer in how a team finishes a season and the last handful of games & BIG tourney, were not a ringing endorsement to warrant a fourth year. I'm truly mystified by some fans on here that they saw enough this season to run it back again next season. Take into consideration the OOC schedule was the weakest in decades and the complete lack of adjustments in many conference games this year. Not to mention that he was brought in to be a unifier of MN kids and now his first MN class are leaving!

His buyout has been lowered as of 4/1 and we'll start to see the new media dollars following in this year. Just rip of the damn bandage and find a coach with some resemblance of actual HC experience and can command a media room with some passion to not "embrace the suck."

Except we've already lost a key piece of the reason for optimism for next year. And there's a decent chance we'll lose more. And it's obvious no big time transfers are beating down the door to replace them. The odds of next year hitting the required mark of an NCAA bid are Slim. And None is coming on fast.

Because we appear to have sparse NIL funding, we may have to end up playing a waiting game- wait for the big boys to burn off some of their war chest and then see who comes into the portal a little later in the process. You could have guys sign with the first tier group, that push others from those teams into the portal...so the wait will be painful. Hawkins was a terrific late find last year, but he is a unique case as the market for 5-10 guards is smaller.

There most certainly was and is a group here that supports cbj no matter.

You have with your if , maybe, could, might, just your own post right here. You are the epitome of what you just said doesn't exist.

There's a contingent saying Ben Johnson is the best? Where do they come up with this stuff. Mind blowing strawman arguments

Because we're not Gonzaga. We couldn't recruit a kid like this with the intention of sitting him on the bench and playing him for maybe 10 minutes per game. Maybe you think that some kid from one of the primary North Dakota schools can't start in the Big Ten but that's exactly what Filip Rebraca did for two years at Iowa after he transferred from UND.
Lets not forget about the Nelson kid who will be starting for Bama in the final 4.

Great system.

Yep. Just went to On3 --- 13 outbound transfers! It must be said that the new coach has 6 commitments so far. Four of them are from his former program (College of Charleston) and two are from James Madison.

Very sad that is has come to this.

So it looks as though a player can portal every year w/o consequences. Correct or No?
Correct, there are no sit out rules. It is 100% free agency for every player every year.

Is the Summit a better league than the Horizon?
IMO the Horizon is a better league at this point. Similar, though. For reference, St. Thomas beat Milwaukee, lost to Green Bay this past season.

Warren Nolan rankings have Horizon at #20, Summit at #25.

Very sad that is has come to this.

So it looks as though a player can portal every year w/o consequences. Correct or No?
That is the experiment this year. They also can talk directly with collectives. Previously that was illegal.

Just reading between lines there were some dishonered promises of NIL thrown around in the past. The NCAA thought they needed to do something that got players written promises.

Therefore, there might have some hope of a stable markwtplace going forward.

Yep.....every player on every roster is an unrestricted free agent....what could possibly go wrong?
In economics that will depress price level. Given this is the year it’s being challenged, maybe they’ll actually figure out their law suit is got the relationship between supply and price backwards. Thus, ruling that tranfer restrictions are not an unreasonable restraint of trade.

Then, we can go baxk to watching people grow. And then kids can’t run from adversity. And the proper criticisms inherent in coaching.

Top Bottom