College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Yeah, don't think any coach is going to promise a starting role to most guys but Nelson can obviously see that he will have a great opportunity to earn a starting job here as things stand right now.

We will know pretty quickly what their plans are for Morgan (assuming he is in fact coming here) when we get to see how aggressively they are going after other centers in the portal.
I did read that they reached out to a big kid (6’10, 275) from Oklahoma. More of a traditional big.

Tweet machine. Idk the validity of it, but I just assume it’s correct

Ah, I remember him! We played against him during Ben's first year. At that time Hugly played for Pitt. As I recall, he was their best player against us in that game. He transferred to Oklahoma but only for one year. We can recruit someone now who has transferred all over the place without sitting out since the NCAA announced a moratorium on enforcing the one-time transfer rule for now.

Thanks for answering my question!

Ah, I remember him! We played against him during Ben's first year. At that time Hugly played for Pitt. As I recall, he was their best player against us in that game. He transferred to Oklahoma but only for one year. We can recruit someone now who has transferred all over the place without sitting out since the NCAA announced a moratorium on enforcing the one-time transfer rule for now.

Thanks for answering my question!
Looked like his production and playing time dropped significantly at Oklahoma. Idk why that is. Maybe a nagging injury of some sort. But if we can land him and get some semblance of his Pitt production + Morgan I think our 5 rotation is Big10 ready

Unlike some others, I look at the whole body of work, not some cherry picked games to support my own bias.
Roland Brooks generally does a fabulous job. I trust his assessment as someone that has put in the work.

He clearly watches a ton of games.

Although, everyone is of course somewhat biased. His take merits some additional consideration vs most of the rest of us.

Roland Brooks generally does a fabulous job. I trust his assessment as someone that has put in the work.

He clearly watches a ton of games.

Although, everyone is of course somewhat biased. His take merits some additional consideration vs most of the rest of us.

You can't just watch a few games and conclude you know the whole story. Hell, Garcia has had some games where one can wonder "How the hell was he so highly rated?"

He made a claim that Rebraca was much better than Morgan at the times they transferred to the Big Ten. I showed some very commonly used advanced stats to refute that. He got pissed that I dared to argue against his statement and insulted me as a poster, so fuck him!

You can't just watch a few games and conclude you know the whole story. Hell, Garcia has had some games where one can wonder "How the hell was he so highly rated?"

He made a claim that Rebraca was much better than Morgan at the times they transferred to the Big Ten. I showed some very commonly used advanced stats to refute that. He got pissed that I dared to argue against his statement and insulted me as a poster, so fuck him!
Fair enough. Was just trying to facilitate if possible. His track record has been strong.

not technically a transfer but local kid
Washington had a coaching change - this was predictable. I would guess most kids choose coaches rather than schools, and most/all new coaches have their own ideas about the type of player they want, too.

With the portal, I gotta think it's harder for an incoming frosh to attract a P5 offer at this time of the cycle.

Yes, but it isn't listed anywhere else and we've heard no announcement so this situation seems a bit fishy.
For sure, just showing what’s being talked about. I wonder if someone spilled the beans before they were supposed to.

Morgan is still visiting Nebraska. Take it for what it’s worth but another site insinuating we are losing another player up front. Would guess Garcia. No way Johnson can recover. Don’t see how we will ever have enough Nil money in basketball.

Last edited:

Morgan is still visiting Nebraska. Take it for what it’s worth but other site insinuating we are losing another player up front. Would guess Garcia. No way Johnson can recover. Don’t see how we will ever have enough Nil money in basketball.
What site?

Where did you read that? Would like to check it out.

He gave the answer above. It's John Hugley who played at Oklahoma last season. Before that he played at Pitt. He was on Pitt when we played them during Ben Johnson's first season and he scored a bunch of point against us. His productivity seems to have declined since then though.

He gave the answer above. It's John Hugley who played at Oklahoma last season. Before that he played at Pitt. He was on Pitt when we played them during Ben Johnson's first season and he scored a bunch of point against us. His productivity seems to have declined since then though.
I remember watching that game. We couldn't stop him

Morgan is still visiting Nebraska. Take it for what it’s worth but another site insinuating we are losing another player up front. Would guess Garcia. No way Johnson can recover. Don’t see how we will ever have enough Nil money in basketball.

If the Gophers do lose another key player today (Christie or Garcia), I wonder how this would change the overall expectations on the Gophers program moving forward? I have a hard time believing the Gophers are unique in an NIL strapped position. But I'm guessing Ben Johnson's seat gets cooler as a result of all this. After all, what can he do? I think that will be the sentiment of many. But what about Coyle? Ben Johnson should still be evaluated based on his performance relative to the roster he is able to construct in this environment. We can argue whether or not he has succeeded in this regard the last three years. It's a highly subjective debate. But one thing we can all probably agree on is how frustrating it is to watch the sport we all pay so close attention to fall apart in this way.

If the Gophers do lose another key player today (Christie or Garcia), I wonder how this would change the overall expectations on the Gophers program moving forward? I have a hard time believing the Gophers are unique in an NIL strapped position. But I'm guessing Ben Johnson's seat gets cooler as a result of all this. After all, what can he do? I think that will be the sentiment of many. But what about Coyle? Ben Johnson should still be evaluated based on his performance relative to the roster he is able to construct in this environment. We can argue whether or not he has succeeded in this regard the last three years. It's a highly subjective debate. But one thing we can all probably agree on is how frustrating it is to watch the sport we all pay so close attention to fall apart in this way.

This shouldn't change anyone's position on Johnson. What can he do? Work through it and find players to compete from lower levels. Not only do other similar P6 programs have the same issue, many mid major programs get constantly poached every year. And yet the ones with good coaches still put together better rosters than BJ has done here.

This shouldn't change anyone's position on Johnson. What can he do? Work through it and find players to compete from lower levels. Not only do other similar P6 programs have the same issue, many mid major programs get constantly poached every year. And yet the ones with good coaches still put together better rosters than BJ has done here.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But I do wonder if that would continue to be the prevailing sentiment in the event the Gophers take a step back next year. Most on here (even the BJ crowd) have acknowledged an NCAA tournament bid needs to be the expectation next year. Does that now change? I personally hope not. However, none of us really have a great sense about the disparity between the haves and the have nots and how many programs are in bucket A vs bucket B.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. But I do wonder if that would continue to be the prevailing sentiment in the event the Gophers take a step back next year. Most on here (even the BJ crowd) have acknowledged an NCAA tournament bid needs to be the expectation next year. Does that now change? I personally hope not. However, none of us really have a great sense about the disparity between the haves and the have nots and how many programs are in bucket A vs bucket B.
It feels like the university is going to play a game of chicken with its basketball supporters. It sits and does nothing while the program swirls down the toilet and then will remind us they can’t do anything until supporters start paying the players. It’s almost like , “Pony up and we’ll think about getting a coach that can compete at this level, but we can’t compete until you pay more.” It’s a grim outlook in the near term.

It shouldn't change. Good programs are still able hang onto the majority of their good players even through the NIL struggles. One example is Boo Buie at NW. They have less NIL than we do and he could have gotten paid a lot to play anywhere but stuck with NW. PJ is also able to hang onto the majority of his players for football and there are significantly more mouths to feed there.

Another down year next year and the Barn will be even more ghostly than it was this season, and it was really bad for most of this season. Men's BBall still generates the 2nd most revenue of any sport at the U. It doesn't make sesne to let the program continue to flounder into oblivion.

Top Bottom