College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread - 2024

Get him before Illinois, Indiana, MIchigan, or Wisconsin (among others) does. Pretty sure all 4 of those might be interested in taking a swing at him.

Not a great 3-point shooter, but an experienced lead guard, defensive stud, and can get to the rack. Let's not find reasons not to go after him, swing big. ... maybe he wants to stay in the Big Ten and stick it to Izzo?

Garcia, Christie (he'll be back), and Hoggard would be an upper Big Ten level big/wing/PG combination.

Get him before Illinois, Indiana, MIchigan, or Wisconsin (among others) does. Pretty sure all 4 of those might be interested in taking a swing at him.

Not a great 3-point shooter, but an experienced lead guard, defensive stud, and can get to the rack. Let's not find reasons not to go after him, swing big. ... maybe he wants to stay in the Big Ten and stick it to Izzo?

Garcia, Christie (he'll be back), and Hoggard would be an upper Big Ten level big/wing/PG combination.
need the $$$$

I wondered why Izzo didn’t go after Payne? Seems like it would have been a good fit.. IMO
My father (a staunch MSU alum) agrees. He (nor I) can't figure out why Izzo didn't push hard for Payne. He's exactly what they need, a good post that scouting reports have to account for on both ends, especially on the glass. At this point it appears Izzo is going to ride it out with Cooper (more defense) & Kohler (more offense) tandem.

Mlo
He was the third best guard at New Mexico. Guessing he is hoping to be the man.

My father (a staunch MSU alum) agrees. He (nor I) can't figure out why Izzo didn't push hard for Payne. He's exactly what they need, a good post that scouting reports have to account for on both ends, especially on the glass. At this point it appears Izzo is going to ride it out with Cooper (more defense) & Kohler (more offense) tandem.
Payne has ball-handling issues.
Payne is an excellent in the paint scoring threat, but ball handling and ball distribution skills need improvement.

Not sure. Just thinking through, Izzo does have long history (going back several decades) knowing Ben and Thorson. Eveidence would suggest he respects the methods.

After Alan Anderson, Izzo was always was in early on Thorson coached guys.

I think perhaps he could have some level of professional courtesy.

However, he also has an expectation of what should come out of that coaching methodology. Moreover, Izzo values more complete players than Payne. Perhaps, Izzo is reading that Payne might not be as coachable (giving credence to some rumors from this board) as he normally likes. Given he didn’t correct the things one would normally see from a Thorson coached guy. I have no info other than speculation though.

I want to believe this. Do you have some inside info?

I want to believe this. Do you have some inside info?
No inside info.

I just see him in the same mode as Garcia. Smart kid, who’ll figure out his stock will be much higher after another season, getting stronger. And like Garcia & Fox, I have a suspicion “legacy” means a little something to him.

They haven’t really won anything with him playing such a ball heavy role. They need to alter their style to maintain the IZZO excellence.

They haven’t really won anything with him playing such a ball heavy role. They need to alter their style to maintain the IZZO excellence.
I don't disagree with you. Hoggard moving on was best for both parties.

That said, would you take Hoggard as the Gophers' primary PG next season? I know I would, despite the fact he was a frustratingly inconsistent player for MSU. He would offer some things Hawkins couldn't.

Top Bottom