College Basketball has permanently changed

It's true that you can't un-fry an egg and that college basketball isn't going back to the way it was before, but what the OP describes continues to feel unsustainable. Any game/sport needs rules, including as they pertain to roster constitution. Chaos isn't a good business model going forward.

Is that how it came off? Did not mean it to.

People here keep talking about building a foundation, doing it right, local kids, building culture in an amateur college sport. That seems pretty much meaningless at this point.

This April is a free-for-all with teams paying to keep current players, losing kids to higher bidders, making offers to new kids, buckets of cash are exchanging hands.

It goes hard for me too - I miss the college basketball of the 70s and 80s when I was growing up.
I hear ya'.

The final nail will be when they expand the tournament to something around 96 teams while at the same time continuing to find ways to shut out the "little guys" more & more.

I hear ya'.

The final nail will be when they expand the tournament to something around 96 teams while at the same time continuing to find ways to shut out the "little guys" more & more.
The love of money is the root of all evil. Basically every move to alter the game I the last 20 years has had the result of consolidating the revenues of the sport into fewer programs. When will enough be enough?

The love of money is the root of all evil. Basically every move to alter the game I the last 20 years has had the result of consolidating the revenues of the sport into fewer programs. When will enough be enough?
100% The love of money is literally going to tear down this entire country. It's well on it's way.

Can't remember the reporter on ESPN (guy with name recognition) stated that now NIL is absolutely the #1 drawing card for recruits. It's no longer facilities, size of the arena, culture or anything else that it was 5 years ago.

I hear ya'.

It's almost to the point that Minnesota should fight the big-paying schools by any means necessary.

A good start would be to eliminate the importance of the regular season. A 128-team NCAA Tournament would do just that.

The only way out of this is to hire a bigtime AD who can sell and manage corporate relationships within Minnesota AND to hire a coach that is a pure salesguy (ala Rick Pitino) that knows how to get the buckets of cash into the players hands. Leave the actual coaching to one of the assistants.

Or - to just start a new league - and ask other Universities - "who's in"

The endless free agent NIL stuff is really sucking the greatness out of college sports. But Pandora's box...can't close it after it's been opened.

Schools may need to start approaching this like business contracts where NIL amounts require a certain time commitment...if someone leaves before that amount of time, they owe X amount back.

College basketball does not work the same way it did when Ben started which is a startling fact considering he has only been here 3 years. Most are still trying to grasp what this means.

One thing it means is that local kids might leave, or might stay, or might leave and then come back all based on dollars being thrown around in April of each year. This is going to be tough for many to come to terms with but the sooner people understand this the sooner we can begin to fix some of these problems.

For example: If you are mad at kids for not playing for the home team it is about the same as knocking a local baseball prospect for not signing with the Twins farm system. Sure - you could be mad at this kid but nobody is listening because it is just business for the teams involved and for the player. The players assume you would quit your job and move on if you got a better offer - why not them?

Some of you need to adjust expectations for the "amature" basketball league we follow:
  • Teams will be rebuilt every year and if you changes coaches you may lose all your players.
  • You will lose players to the portal every year (Everyone, every year)
  • Evaluating portal talent, quickly crafting rosters, and selling portal candidates will be the most important coaching talents required
  • AD's ability to support the local NIL programs will become their most important contribution and their primary measure of success/failure.
  • Big money programs will simply win the most games. Complaining wont help - start donating.
  • Any team ("ANY") with a rich enough benefactor can put together a highly competitive team.
  • Players will NOW make decisions based on the following: Education, Coaches ability to sell the next year's vision/roster, development/in-game coaching reputation, potential to be on a "special" team, & financial compensation (not in that order)
  • Kids without playing time may be more likely to move if they feel like they can get to an NIL level at another team.
  • The less talented kid is more likely he is to stay with your team and clutter up your roster.
  • Coaches will be looking for more flexibility in terminating scholarships.
  • Some players will change teams every single year just to make the most money
  • Players will have much more power and some legacy coaches will not be able to make this transition and will begin to retire.
  • With rosters changing so quickly some teams will go from last to first and the reverse. So... rebuilding is not really a thing anymore. Just reload and win next year.
  • Teams with an established base of financial support and existing success will be more likely to continue as they likely will have more NIL to offer out of the gate and the earlier success will only help their future donations
  • Athletic departments may be in the position to need to decline donations and ask people to move giving to the NIL programs
  • Probably a lot more that I am missing...
I am not saying I like it - but the only people not making money in a 100 billion dollar industry have found a way to get paid and they are not going back.

Is Ben a good coach for the new paradigm? Can Coyle indirectly help bring dollars to the players to create winning programs? Will local business get on board? I guess we shall see...
It's gotten to the point where commitment means absolutely nothing and you have to assume that every player coming in is going to be in your uniform for 1 season. Hearing Hawkins twice say he was coming back next year is proof of that. And if you let your coach leave, you allow the inevitable possibility of even more players leaving. I still believe CBJ is a good coach and people are going to blame him for situations like Hawkins or Payne whether it's his fault or a lack of money or something else.

Then how did Ben possibly inherit an empty roster when he was hired if the transfer rule wasn't in place until a week later?

As far as NIL, that has far less of an impact than the transfer portal. Players have been going to the highest bidders for decades. The Gophers remain on a level playing field with the majority of the P6 there. There's also many examples of teams who shell out a ton in NIL who missed the NCAA tournament or had an early exit this season and teams that are very successful with little to no NIL.
Shouldn’t there be a limit on how much NIL can be spent by each school per year? At least would keep the playing field somewhat level. It would be up to the school to decide what sports they spend it on.

Shouldn’t there be a limit on how much NIL can be spent by each school per year? At least would keep the playing field somewhat level. It would be up to the school to decide what sports they spend it on.

Schools aren't paying the players. And you can't restrict how much someone can make in NIL. Pretty sure that would get you sued.

College basketball from five or ten years ago (pre portal and pre-NIL) always had 30 programs that for whatever reason were going to attract the most talented kids. Whether it was paying kids under the table or any combination of established coaching, tradition, facilities, arena, weather, or whatever. The most talented kids were almost always going to go to blue blood programs, even the local ones. The AD's job was to try to chip away at the perceived shortcomings at his/her school and most importantly hire the right coach. The best talent didn't always equate to the most successful programs (i.e. Kentucky).

Now the paradigm has shifted. Free agency and NIL has created a mess for all and high school recruiting should take a seat at the back of the bus. Portal recruiting is now king. Clearly a number of teams have taken a more proactive approach and/or have more engaged/generous donors and those teams will have a decided advantage. Those 30 teams (random number) likely won't be the same teams as they were ten years ago. The AD's job now will be to try to chip away at the financial deficit he/she may himself/herself in and worry less about some of the other things that were routinely cited as excuses for not competing at a high level previously.

But pretending the coaching hire doesn't matter any more (like some have suggested on here) is absurd. The biggest spenders won't necessarily translate to more successful results in any given year (see Major League Baseball). This is why having the right coach in place that can outkick his coverage is also vitally important and the money will follow.

If you think buying all conference/honorable mention players off of P5 rosters is something that coaches should adapt to, you're just as dumb as this shit show that the current system is. Players like Hawkins, Hepburn and Perkins weren't leaving P5 starting jobs where they play 30+ minutes a game even 2 years ago.

The endless free agent NIL stuff is really sucking the greatness out of college sports. But Pandora's box...can't close it after it's been opened.

Schools may need to start approaching this like business contracts where NIL amounts require a certain time commitment...if someone leaves before that amount of time, they owe X amount back.
The unlimited transfers and NIL have completely destroyed college sports along with realignment. I feel bad for coaches as its impossible to build a program anymore. I don’t want to hear about replacing coaches every year because they didn’t achieve some arbitrary goal people set. The gophers will have competitive teams, but not great ones because they won’t pay $1 million dollars for a kid to play basketball (unlike Indiana). I will continue to support them and just accept the roster they have each year without expectations of players staying more than a year. Sad times. Greed has brought death to college sports.

Last edited:

College basketball from five or ten years ago (pre portal and pre-NIL) always had 30 programs that for whatever reason were going to attract the most talented kids. Whether it was paying kids under the table or any combination of established coaching, tradition, facilities, arena, weather, or whatever. The most talented kids were almost always going to go to blue blood programs, even the local ones. The AD's job was to try to chip away at the perceived shortcomings at his/her school and most importantly hire the right coach. The best talent didn't always equate to the most successful programs (i.e. Kentucky).

Now the paradigm has shifted. Free agency and NIL has created a mess for all and high school recruiting should take a seat at the back of the bus. Portal recruiting is now king. Clearly a number of teams have taken a more proactive approach and/or have more engaged/generous donors and those teams will have a decided advantage. Those 30 teams (random number) likely won't be the same teams as they were ten years ago. The AD's job now will be to try to chip away at the financial deficit he/she may himself/herself in and worry less about some of the other things that were routinely cited as excuses for not competing at a high level previously.

But pretending the coaching hire doesn't matter any more (like some have suggested on here) is absurd. The biggest spenders won't necessarily translate to more successful results in any given year (see Major League Baseball). This is why having the right coach in place that can outkick his coverage is also vitally important and the money will follow.
Bingo.

Or - to just start a new league - and ask other Universities - "who's in"
I definitely like the idea of starting a new league.

Of real student athletes. Where they get free scholarships and don't transfer.

Advertise it as REAL COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin

Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin
Need two more schools to qualify as a conference. Nebraska and Illinois would a good fit. Maybe Indiana instead of Nebraska.

Need two more schools to qualify as a conference. Nebraska and Illinois would a good fit. Maybe Indiana instead of Nebraska.
Definitely not Indiana or Nebraska. They're overjoyed at being able to buy players and return to prominence.

The courts & media would never allow this new league to happen though.

Frankly, I think the NCAA could stop this if they wanted to.....the NCAA is their own business/organization made up of member schools. As part of being a Member of this organization, couldn't they agree or sign a contract as a requirement of being a member, that they would not allow a player to play if he/she transfers to another member school without sitting out a year? Players could petition if a coach leaves, etc.....

I don't know if this is how it used to be, but I'm speechless as to why this could not be enforced.
Kids don't have a "right" to play college sports. If you want to play in their organization, you agree to their rules. How is it any different than enforcing the rule of having 4 years of eligibility (or 5 to play 4). IMO, the NCAA doesn't want to stop all of these transfers because the blue bloods are benefiting the most.

Frankly, I think the NCAA could stop this if they wanted to.....the NCAA is their own business/organization made up of member schools. As part of being a Member of this organization, couldn't they agree or sign a contract as a requirement of being a member, that they would not allow a player to play if he/she transfers to another member school without sitting out a year? Players could petition if a coach leaves, etc.....

I don't know if this is how it used to be, but I'm speechless as to why this could not be enforced.
Kids don't have a "right" to play college sports. If you want to play in their organization, you agree to their rules. How is it any different than enforcing the rule of having 4 years of eligibility (or 5 to play 4). IMO, the NCAA doesn't want to stop all of these transfers because the blue bloods are benefiting the most.
No, the whole situation is happening because US Courts have consistently told the NCAA that they can't do things like that because that makes them an illegal monopoly. The NCAA has tried to stop it, but they keep on losing every lawsuit brought against them by a former student athlete.

Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Wisconsin
Purdue just made the NCAA title game with a guy they were paying $850k this year as the centerpiece. Why do you think they want to join the Gophers and the University of Chicago in this midwestern Ivy League?

Purdue just made the NCAA title game with a guy they were paying $850k this year as the centerpiece. Why do you think they want to join the Gophers and the University of Chicago in this midwestern Ivy League?
Assuming you're talking about Edey who got ZERO money. He and Painter both confirmed that. Don't know where you got your $850K from......

No, the whole situation is happening because US Courts have consistently told the NCAA that they can't do things like that because that makes them an illegal monopoly. The NCAA has tried to stop it, but they keep on losing every lawsuit brought against them by a former student athlete.

exactly. don't want to beat the dead horse again, but the NCAA has repeatedly lost court cases that center around anti-trust issues. go back to the O'Bannon case on video games, through the Alston Supreme Court case (decided 9-0 in favor of plaintiff and against NCAA), etc. The Courts have ruled repeatedly that the NCAA cannot place artificial restrictions on student earnings or student transfers.

and there is a whopper of a case pending that - if the plaintiffs win - could require the NCAA to compensate former student-athletes for lost revenue. (under the notion that NCAA rules illegally prevented former athletes from capitalizing on their NIL opportunities). If the NCAA loses that case, they could be on the hook for Billions of dollars in damages. Billions.

the courts have turned the NCAA into a toothless shell of an organization.

$850K was a very good deal for Edey. And the rest of the team was cheap. But I also heard that Edey got nothing. I don't think Purdue is a money school...but I'm not sure. We'll see.

Top Bottom