Coffey

It's difficult to find advanced individual stats for college players, but Sports Reference has a Player Efficiency Rating they've calculated for all players in all seasons since 2009-10. Mbakwe had ratings of 25.8, 30.0 (injury-shortened season) and 24.9, for a career PER of 25.9. Coffey is at 19.7 so far this season.

It's difficult to find advanced individual stats for college players, but Sports Reference has a Player Efficiency Rating they've calculated for all players in all seasons since 2009-10. Mbakwe had ratings of 25.8, 30.0 (injury-shortened season) and 24.9, for a career PER of 25.9. Coffey is at 19.7 so far this season.

PER is skewed toward big men. It doesn't adjust for position at all. Rebounds are worth the same whether you are a guard are a center, which obviously favors the center. Their are other flaws with it as well.

PER is skewed toward big men. It doesn't adjust for position at all. Rebounds are worth the same whether you are a guard are a center, which obviously favors the center. Their are other flaws with it as well.

I would assume that assists, steals, 3 pt %, etc. are worth the same whether you are a guard or a center, which obviously favors the guard. So what's your point?

I think what we're trying to describe here is that we're all in Coffey's corner and that we hope that he doesn't only become a superstar talent in college basketball, but that he has the charisma as well to represent the gophers.

I think that Whalen had a charisma which made many in this state a big fan and you'd argue that a lot of the guys coming through our mens program may not have had that same infectious charisma as Whalen did when representing the University of Minnesota.

Coffey had a good game. It's only 4 games into the season. Let's not overload him with expectations just yet.

If Coffey is still playing college ball as a 23 year old, I am confident he would be quite the player! Look at Lynch do you think he was as physical and had as much skill as a 19 year old, as he does now. TM was very raw coming out of high school. He had about 5-6 years to improve.

The most impressive thing to me Coffey has done is take it aggressively to the rim. I was under the impression he was a bit passive, so I was scared of me yelling at the TV the way I did for Rodney's first 3 years! Being a lefty is a huge plus especially on drives.

He can he be the next Linsey Whalen?!?! A local stud who turns around a program. This is what many of us have said for years! Someone come be this guy!

I can see more local guys following his lead and see how this city will give this kid so much love!

And I think we got a heck of a player in Hurt what a smart basketball player he will have a very good 4 years here. Book it!

I hope so! He was impressive in the St Johns game.. No Doubt. I just worry he's going to get himself injured once B1G play starts. He takes the ball to the hole so aggressively (which is great).. I just hope he holds up once conference play starts. During the St Johns game, he must've hit the deck about 5 times. Hopefully he stays healthy because he's got some amazing upside.

I think what we're trying to describe here is that we're all in Coffey's corner and that we hope that he doesn't only become a superstar talent in college basketball, but that he has the charisma as well to represent the gophers.

I think that Whalen had a charisma which made many in this state a big fan and you'd argue that a lot of the guys coming through our mens program may not have had that same infectious charisma as Whalen did when representing the University of Minnesota.

It would also help if he guided the squad to the Final Four (like Whalen did). I think that level of team success/buzz does a lot to excite the fan base and future recruits.

It would also help if he guided the squad to the Final Four (like Whalen did). I think that level of team success/buzz does a lot to excite the fan base and future recruits.

Im loving that!

Lindsey took the women's team from total oblvion in the Sports Pavion to filling up the Barn.

The men's, while stuggling in recent years, has never been that low. Lindley Whalen stands alone.

Yes the men mentioned would beat her 1 on 1. Why was that even brought up?....some idiots I guess.

Lindsey took the women's team from total oblvion in the Sports Pavion to filling up the Barn.

The men's, while stuggling in recent years, has never been that low. Lindley Whalen stands alone.

Yes the men mentioned would beat her 1 on 1. Why was that even brought up?....some idiots I guess.

I hope they were kidding about the 1 on 1. If a male athlete from MN had the resume of Whalen he would probably be considered the greatest athlete ever to come out of this state. He would be Larry Bird.

What I liked about last nights game was that Coffee started the game trying to force the production where he left off after St. John's. He made a couple drives with a poor shot and he got blocked once.

He then changed his game playing more support knowing he was forcing it. Only to come back in the second half on fire.

I was really happy to see him identify what wasn't working and to adapt for the better of the team. That was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been a little surprised at how good his outside shooting has been. Was he considered a good shooter in HS? For some reason I thought this was sort of a weakness for him.

I've been a little surprised at how good his outside shooting has been. Was he considered a good shooter in HS? For some reason I thought this was sort of a weakness for him.

He can make outside shots when he's open but it's certainly not a strength. He's still only shooting 31% from three this year.

He can make outside shots when he's open but it's certainly not a strength. He's still only shooting 31% from three this year.

Sample size is teeny weeny. Let's not label his three-point shooting a strength or weakness just yet.

Had 2 more shots went down (7 for 16) we'd be calling him one the best three point shooter in the country: 0.438

One more shot (6 for 16) and he's looking solid too at 0.375

He looks comfortable shooting them at least. It isn't a Rodney Williams situation where it looked so out of place for him to be shooting outside of 10 feet.

There probably isn't a good comparison to any MSU person as MSU gets pretty much whomever they want in Michigan before Valentine and it will likely continue after Valentine... (MSU was even pretty good before Magic so that's not a great comp either)

The Michigan State comparison in the current era would be the Flintstones. Izzo took over in the 1995-96 season. Mateen Cleaves, Morris Peterson, and Charlie Bell were all in-state guys (from Flint) and leaders on MSU's Sweet 16, Final Four, then championship (2000) teams. The rest is history.

I am fascinated by those who keep wanting to temper their enthusiasm for the young phenom we have here playing on the wing. I'm telling you that Amir Coffey is the second coming of Stacey Augmon! Coffey has NBA-ready hands which will put him among the B1G steal leaders from the get-go. He slides and slashes to the hole with mesmerizing skill. His outside shot is solid - comparisons to Rodney Williams' shot are a joke. This kid is already playing the most minutes - Pitino doesn't want to take him out of the game because he can play so many roles and steadies the ship. Coffey could be playing/starting at blue blood programs but he decided to stay home and treat us to his talents. Awesome!
Looking ahead to the future... I predict that Richard Pitino will gain many accolades when this core of players continues to impress and turn the program around, but Pitino won't ever leave this position until the day that Amir Coffey moves to the next level! Awesome!

I think Coffey is a transformational player for this club, but what's really transformed is the ball handling team wide. Big's and littles that play can all handle the ball. D. Mathieu may be the best ball handler the gophers have had in 16 years, but I think there are 3 guys on this current team that would arguably hold the next three spots in Coffey, Mason, McBrayer and I'm not hesitant to see Curry, or Murphy handle the ball either.

I think Coffey is a transformational player for this club, but what's really transformed is the ball handling team wide. Big's and littles that play can all handle the ball. D. Mathieu may be the best ball handler the gophers have had in 16 years, but I think there are 3 guys on this current team that would arguably hold the next three spots in Coffey, Mason, McBrayer and I'm not hesitant to see Curry, or Murphy handle the ball either.

You forgot about Al Nolen.

Top Bottom