Coffey

gopherhoopsguy

Reaction score
He can he be the next Linsey Whalen?!?! A local stud who turns around a program. This is what many of us have said for years! Someone come be this guy!

I can see more local guys following his lead and see how this city will give this kid so much love!

And I think we got a heck of a player in Hurt what a smart basketball player he will have a very good 4 years here. Book it!

He can he be the next Linsey Whalen?!?! A local stud who turns around a program. This is what many of us have said for years! Someone come be this guy!

I can see more local guys following his lead and see how this city will give this kid so much love!

And I think we got a heck of a player in Hurt what a smart basketball player he will have a very good 4 years here. Book it!

He could be... but Rodney Williams also could have been. Trevor Mbakwe could have been. Joey King? Reggie Lynch? I guess my point is that we have had decent local talent on our team but people don't recognize it i guess? anyway I understand how you are excited for Coffey being such a high level recruit to pick MN I just don't think we should lose track of other players who have put in good work who are also from MN.

Edit: lets go back farther Rick Rickert? Al Nolen? Blake Hoffarber?

Matthew Hurt will be if he comes here. Dude is an absolute stud already, only in 10th grade this year.
Matthew will be a lottery pick.

Coffey could be Minnesota's version of Denzell Valentine.

He has a better chance of being loved by Minnesota due to his father.

Coffey is going to be the best player we've had since I started at the U in 2004.

Coffey could be Minnesota's version of Denzell Valentine.

He has a better chance of being loved by Minnesota due to his father.

There probably isn't a good comparison to any MSU person as MSU gets pretty much whomever they want in Michigan before Valentine and it will likely continue after Valentine... (MSU was even pretty good before Magic so that's not a great comp either)

I could see Coffey being a Sam Dekker type player for us. Obviously Wisconsin's status when he committed and our status when Coffey committed are completely opposite, but I think the results could be similar... 3 year starter, deep tourney runs, energizes local talent to stay home. Just need that versatile Kaminsky-like 7 footer. **cough Matthew Hurt cough**

Coffey is going to be the best player we've had since I started at the U in 2004.

Coffey could very well be the best pro prospect we've had in that timeframe, but I'll be surprised if he's a better college player than Mbakwe.

Coffey could very well be the best pro prospect we've had in that timeframe, but I'll be surprised if he's a better college player than Mbakwe.
Not apples to apples, but look at Mbakwe's freshman year at MU. Coffey could be better, if he works hard and continues to get better.

Well he's already far ahead of Trevor in the behaving part of college basketball. That alone means a lot...

You very seldom make stupid posts, but this is one of them deeps.....you don't like dpo so I thought I would change it.........and quit saying I can't stand you.

Lolz at the guy who used Joey King and Reggie Lynch as "could-be" guys to turn the program around. Coffey was a top-25 prospect before his knee injury drawing interest from schools like Arizona and UNC.

From a skill-set perspective, Coffey is far more advanced than Rodney ever was too. He's the best recruit the team's gotten since Royce White - who could've maybe been that guy who turned a program around if he weren't such a knucklehead.

What I like about Coffey is that he seems like a guy who could start for 3 or 4 years but he won't be such a good player that he thinks about leaving early for the NBA. Gophers need to find a few guys like that, who can contribute as 3 year starters and start stacking classes up so that when guys leave, others are ready to step in. Hard to do that with one-year transfers and guys who keep revolving through. That's where I think Coffey could be an impact guy - some stability and quality stability.

Lolz at the guy who used Joey King and Reggie Lynch as "could-be" guys to turn the program around. Coffey was a top-25 prospect before his knee injury drawing interest from schools like Arizona and UNC.

From a skill-set perspective, Coffey is far more advanced than Rodney ever was too. He's the best recruit the team's gotten since Royce White - who could've maybe been that guy who turned a program around if he weren't such a knucklehead.

What I like about Coffey is that he seems like a guy who could start for 3 or 4 years but he won't be such a good player that he thinks about leaving early for the NBA. Gophers need to find a few guys like that, who can contribute as 3 year starters and start stacking classes up so that when guys leave, others are ready to step in. Hard to do that with one-year transfers and guys who keep revolving through. That's where I think Coffey could be an impact guy - some stability and quality stability.

Agree with all of this. While I definitely think Coffey will play in the NBA, I think he is at least a few years away. Based on first impressions and what's been reported he seems to appreciate the work it will take to get himself prepared for that next step. He's going to be a hugely important anchor for this program over the next 2-4 years.

It was mainly responding to this middle sentence "I can see more local guys following his lead and see how this city will give this kid so much love!" sorry I didn't put it in bold. Does that make my post sound more reasonable?

My point is we already get the local guys.

Did he get arrested in the 3rd week of the season?

By he, do you mean Mbakwe? And if so, which time he was arrested are you referring to? Coffey has been squeaky clean so far, which is nice to see. I wish him the best...

You very seldom make stupid posts, but this is one of them deeps.....you don't like dpo so I thought I would change it.........and quit saying I can't stand you.

What's stupid about it? In terms of production, Mbakwe is the best Gophers player in a long time.

By he, do you mean Mbakwe? And if so, which time he was arrested are you referring to? Coffey has been squeaky clean so far, which is nice to see. I wish him the best...

You said he's already far ahead of Mbakwe.

Coffey has been a d1 player for all of what 3 weeks? I guess the school year has been longer than that, but did Mbakwe get into legal trouble in his first year? I thought he played a year at Marquette and then transfered to Miami Dade and that's where he got into trouble?

My point was, don't ****ing jinx it!

You said he's already far ahead of Mbakwe. Coffey has been a d1 player for all of what 3 weeks? I guess the school year has been longer than that, but did Mbakwe get into legal trouble in his first year? I thought he played a year at Marquette and then transfered to Miami Dade and that's where he got into trouble? My point was, don't ****ing jinx it!
Knocking on wood as I type this

He could be... but Rodney Williams also could have been. Trevor Mbakwe could have been. Joey King? Reggie Lynch? I guess my point is that we have had decent local talent on our team but people don't recognize it i guess? anyway I understand how you are excited for Coffey being such a high level recruit to pick MN I just don't think we should lose track of other players who have put in good work who are also from MN.
Edit: lets go back farther Rick Rickert? Al Nolen? Blake Hoffarber?

Here is the difference... Coffey choose the Gophers as highly recruited player!! Trevor, king, lynch, they went to other places they didn't pick the U.

Rickert played one year and was focused on NBA not the gophers.
Nolan and Blake were nice pieces not stars.
Williams was a high flyer not a great basketball player.

Coffey does it all.. loves being a gopher that is what Linsey did! Coffey stuck around and gave high fives to the fans in the front row at the barn the other night. He gets it! This is what the gophers fans want someone who loves to be here! He has a chance to change the program something Lindsey did!!

I am not knocking the other players...

I also think he can affect recruiting for the positive by his success!

Sorry I was in a argumentative mood earlier. Hopefully you're right. Right now I'd settle for him being good enough he saves Pitino's job. I worry that if he is, then he'll go pro though.

Here is the difference... Coffey choose the Gophers as highly recruited player!! Trevor, king, lynch, they went to other places they didn't pick the U.

Rickert played one year and was focused on NBA not the gophers.
Nolan and Blake were nice pieces not stars.
Williams was a high flyer not a great basketball player.

Coffey does it all.. loves being a gopher that is what Linsey did! Coffey stuck around and gave high fives to the fans in the front row at the barn the other night. He gets it! This is what the gophers fans want someone who loves to be here! He has a chance to change the program something Lindsey did!!

I don't think we offered Joey King or Reggie Lynch out of high school, so saying they didn't pick the Gophers is a little misleading. Not sure on Mbakwe.

You said he's already far ahead of Mbakwe.

Coffey has been a d1 player for all of what 3 weeks? I guess the school year has been longer than that, but did Mbakwe get into legal trouble in his first year? I thought he played a year at Marquette and then transfered to Miami Dade and that's where he got into trouble?

My point was, don't ****ing jinx it!

Sorry, I just am hoping those days are behind us. I'll get back to being positive about the season...

Mbakwe was a superstar before he blew out his knee, and we was still very good when he came back, but not quite as explosive. TM was still good enough to make some money in Europe, but he might have stuck in the NBA pre-injury. I hope someone one this team can equal TM and both Coffey and Jordan Murphy could come lose to being as productive.

What's stupid about it? In terms of production, Mbakwe is the best Gophers player in a long time.

TM was an awsome rebounder and a very good defensive player....but that it. He is not one of the best Gophers of all time by any means.

I realize it is way early in Coffey's career, but he has a complete game.

Any thing can happen but it will only be a short time until Coffey and TM are not even in the same discussion.

I doubt you could find even one coach that would take TM over Coffey even right now.

Sorry I was in a argumentative mood earlier. Hopefully you're right. Right now I'd settle for him being good enough he saves Pitino's job. I worry that if he is, then he'll go pro though.

He's a 2 guard in the NBA . He's going to have to find a consistent 3 point shot before he goes pro. That and some muscle and he definitely has the tools but he should be a three year college player.

Love what Coffey is doing

He's a 2 guard in the NBA . He's going to have to find a consistent 3 point shot before he goes pro. That and some muscle and he definitely has the tools but he should be a three year college player.
Coffey has been great!! But let's pump the brakes a bit here. It's four games. And against lesser teams. And at the the point in the season nobody is game planning strategies to eliminate Coffey. He is 3 for 14 from 3. He has 7 assists and 7 turnovers in four games. The transition defense for St John's was all time bad and you couple that with their shot selection and Coffey had opportunities that are not going to consistently present themselves going forward.

Again, happy Coffey is here and playing great, but he is not an all time top 10 Gopher just yet. Agreeing with bga1

Demar Derozan vs Coffey - Worse shot (when he entered the NBA) but more athletic, probably worse passer and arguably worse defense than Coffey. If Coffey has a few more high 20pt/30pt games especially in the BIG and leads the team to the NCAAs there is a legit chance he'd be a mid first rounder (not saying he goes pro but he could).

Edit: 60's guy is right and this is a stupid argument by me. But I still hold to the Derozan comparison as far as not the greatest shooting 2 gaurds.

Comparing Mbakwe and Amir is pretty difficult. They play nothing alike and Mbakwe's career as a Gopher was a touch over two seasons. In those two plus seasons he scored 868 points for the Gophers. 38 guys have scored 1000 or more points in Gopher history. Lots of what ifs on both guys. I guess it depends on criteria... Mbakwe was certainly excellent .... Since 2000 these Gophers have scored 1000 plus points in their career:
Maurice Hargrow, Rodney Williams, Michael Bauer, Laurence Westbrook, Blake Hoffarber, Dusty Rychart, Dan Coleman, and #4 All Time Andre Hollins.
Now if we are selecting healthy guys in their prime to add to a team for a season how many of 1,000 point guys go before Mbakwe?
Mbakwe is #1 all time in FG%
For a single season since 2000 Kris Humphries averaged 21.7ppg with 629 points and Vincent Grier is number 10 at 574 points in a single season.
Mbakwe has the third best rebounding season and is #2 in double doubles with 19 in a season.
Totally random: DeAndre Mathieu scored 456 points and had 160 assists in his first season. That is a Ray Williams like season in all time Gopher history!!
So, Mbakwe is pretty impressive if we go by one season.
Coffey, so far has one 30 point game to add to distinctions in the record books.
For perspective...Gopher Freshman scoring:
Freshman Scoring Average
Player (Season) Pts. Avg.
1. Kris Humphries (2003-04) 629 21.7
2. Mark Olberding (1974-75) 415 15.9
3. Rick Rickert (2001-02) 441 14.2
4. Charley Mencel (1951-52) 299 13.6
5. Voshon Lenard (1991-92) 411 12.8
So if Coffey can stay 12 plus ppg that'd be pretty awesome in Gopher history. He is at 15.8 after four games.

Top Bottom