Coaching Hot Board

Tressel's 5-year show-cause penalty is over today.

He's retired from coaching. Having said that, he is President of Youngstown State with Pelini. Former B1G HC as President with former B1G HC with axe to grind.......Package Deal??

Define "mass".

Recruiting is going to be darn near impossible for whomever is the coach given the events of the past week.

If Claeys is fired and numerous players expelled or transfer out IMO recruiting will take a hit for only a couple years if that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking out of the box here. Coyle may have to extend Tracy for the lack of interest in the job.
We don't know, but he may have already made a few calls and it was: " Thanks, but no thanks"

Yes, what we need to clean up this sex scandal is Bobby Petrino.

Thinking out of the box here. Coyle may have to extend Tracy for the lack of interest in the job.
We don't know, but he may have already made a few calls and it was: " Thanks, but no thanks"
I agree. This job was not looked on favorably before. The new facilities will attract better candidates. IMO, Claeys is a good DC, but completely in over his head as a head coach. He is a deer in the headlights in this situation.
The problem is that as recruiting is eroding, this scandal is crushing the fan base and enthusiasm for the program. It may be better that Claeys coaches through next year, allowing the scandal and bad emotions of it to dissipate, then bring in a cultural changing hire. There will be a better chance of getting a rising coach at that time.
PJ Fleck would be an ideal hire, but I think he's more inclined to stay a WMU and take his chances on getting a better job (than Minnesota) next year. If nothing better is available, he'd take it next year. Jim Tressel was a great coach, but he has been a the pinnacle of college coaching at Ohio State. Based on the things he's done since being out of coaching, I seriously doubt he's interested in returning any place other the Ohio State.
The Gopher Football Program needs a cultural changing hire with the commitment to high values and football excellence.

I agree with you on this one SS. I know most people consider this a terrible job that nobody wants but I completely disagree. It would be most likely a large increase in pay and prestige for Fleck and we all know that young coaches can fall as quickly as they rise. Thus, the time is right for Fleck to make the move now. On top of that, we apparently already recruit the same players based on the comments on this board constantly.;)

Define "mass".

Recruiting is going to be darn near impossible for whomever is the coach given the events of the past week.

I would normally agree with this but I thought recruiting and mass transfers were both going to be a problem for the hoops team after the threesome last year. We have a solid recruiting class(thank god already signed before this scandal) and only Dorsey left and we are most likely better off for it.

I would normally agree with this but I thought recruiting and mass transfers were both going to be a problem for the hoops team after the threesome last year. We have a solid recruiting class(thank god already signed before this scandal) and only Dorsey left and we are most likely better off for it.

Basketball and football are quite different

If Fleck came and we kept Sawvel and found a new offensive coordinator, i'd be ecstatic.

I think it is going to be interesting in who would want to come here. On one hand, the program is dealing with a **** storm of scandals, but on the other hand it is a big10 job with a new athletic village and with a lot of young talent that will remain here despite what happens with the suspended players.

Fleck kicked off a couple freshmen from WMU early in hie tenure, he doesn't tolerate kids who break rules. He would come in, clean up and bring much needed enthusiasm.

If Claeys is fired it is perfect timing for PJ Fleck or Pelini. Fleck is bringing in a top 35 class to Western Michigan, I think he can keep guys committed to MN.

If Claeys is fired it is perfect timing for PJ Fleck or Pelini. Fleck is bringing in a top 35 class to Western Michigan, I think he can keep guys committed to MN.

May require a "Boat" load of Ca$h to get him.

I am amazed that Les Miles makes the list. Why it wouldn't work. He would want absolute control. He would be bigger than the AD and the President. Why it might be genius to hire him, a last chance to win and win big. You would have the mad hatter on the sidelines. He would relish coaching Big 10 Football, and the Jug would be a test of manhood.

Your AD spends most of his time hiding under his desk. Do you really think he is going hire a power coach?
You will likely get a Mac. Coach not named Fleck or a no name Assistant
Be very careful what you wish for.

I am amazed that Les Miles makes the list. Why it wouldn't work. He would want absolute control. He would be bigger than the AD and the President. Why it might be genius to hire him, a last chance to win and win big. You would have the mad hatter on the sidelines. He would relish coaching Big 10 Football, and the Jug would be a test of manhood.

Now just imagine him with a cavalcade of 2/3 star recruits instead of being stacked with 4/5 star guys so he can fail to coach even less talent. Miles is basically the same as hiring Tubby...yes, some would call the end result an improvement, but there would probably be a mess to clean up as Miles tails off like Tubby did.

It would be similar to hiring Tubby, which had its pluses and minuses. But I don't think he was 'bigger than the AD and President.'

It would be similar to hiring Tubby, which had its pluses and minuses. But I don't think he was 'bigger than the AD and President.'

Holy crap...how about that timing on our Tubby comparisons?

I've been reading the thread from the beginning for the last 10 minutes and was checking to see if anyone made the Les Miles being a Tubby Smith type hire comment yet... it was looking good until the last couple posts.

My time stamp was rigged!

I don't think inability to coach without 5 star talent is the issue. It's does this older coach still have it in him to do the harder work it will take here? Tubby did for a couple years. Then all the various issues happened and he mailed it in. Would that happen with Miles? Who knows.

We should have learned that firing a coach after a bowl game is suicidal. We went from Mason to Brewster. Also, this is the 6th year of a rebuilding program and is doing well on the field. Our four losses were close and to very good teams (ditto last year). Unless a phenom coach is dying to come here and has communicated that to Coyle, Claeys is our best bet for a while. Up to him to prove his worth the next year or two.

We should have learned that firing a coach after a bowl game is suicidal. We went from Mason to Brewster. Also, this is the 6th year of a rebuilding program and is doing well on the field. Our four losses were close and to very good teams (ditto last year). Unless a phenom coach is dying to come here and has communicated that to Coyle, Claeys is our best bet for a while. Up to him to prove his worth the next year or two.

I don't get this mindset at all. The 6th year of a "rebuild". Look around the nation over the last 30 years and try to find coaches that took 5 years much less more than that to get a program going. Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech is one, but there's not many. If you look at Ferentz, Briles, Patterson, Alvarez, Barnett, Tiller etc, etc...they all had won big by year 4. We're in year 6 of this thing, have not defeated a top 25 team in 2 years, have not finished in the top 25 in 6 years, have a 2-4 record against Iowa and an 0-6 record against Wisconsin.

A coaching change is going to be made, the question is whether it will be made after the Bowl game or after next season? Interest in the program was very low prior to this scandal breaking, and recruiting was already at the bottom of the B1G. I don't see how this team improves on the field next year and without improvement a change is certain to be made.

There are positives and negatives to both making that change after the bowl or enduring one more season and then making a change. I am in favor of whichever method leads to the best hire. Recruiting is f'd either way (not that it was good anyway)...either we make a change after the bowl and a new guy has to scramble to put together a 2017 class while this scandal is still fresh in everyone's minds or we wait until 2018 and the new guy has to put together a 2018 class (late, but probably not as late) and probably doing it with a program coming off a worse year on the field.

My time stamp was rigged!

I don't think inability to coach without 5 star talent is the issue. It's does this older coach still have it in him to do the harder work it will take here? Tubby did for a couple years. Then all the various issues happened and he mailed it in. Would that happen with Miles? Who knows.

I love how "Tubby mailed it in" has become the narrative, and yet his final season was his best.

Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery is an AAC coach on the rise, but he recently signed an extension. He has strong ties to Texas for recuiting and is known for running high power offenses.
Might be worth looking into...

If Claeys is fired and numerous players expelled or transfer out IMO recruiting will take a hit for only a couple years if that.

A couple years translates to many more years on the field.

I love how "Tubby mailed it in" has become the narrative, and yet his final season was his best.

Maybe should discuss his last two recruiting classes. Or maybe not because there's nothing to say to defend them.

Claeys is a players coach. Just hope the players dont run the show.

I don't get this mindset at all. The 6th year of a "rebuild". Look around the nation over the last 30 years and try to find coaches that took 5 years much less more than that to get a program going. Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech is one, but there's not many. If you look at Ferentz, Briles, Patterson, Alvarez, Barnett, Tiller etc, etc...they all had won big by year 4. We're in year 6 of this thing, have not defeated a top 25 team in 2 years, have not finished in the top 25 in 6 years, have a 2-4 record against Iowa and an 0-6 record against Wisconsin.

A coaching change is going to be made, the question is whether it will be made after the Bowl game or after next season? Interest in the program was very low prior to this scandal breaking, and recruiting was already at the bottom of the B1G. I don't see how this team improves on the field next year and without improvement a change is certain to be made.

There are positives and negatives to both making that change after the bowl or enduring one more season and then making a change. I am in favor of whichever method leads to the best hire. Recruiting is f'd either way (not that it was good anyway)...either we make a change after the bowl and a new guy has to scramble to put together a 2017 class while this scandal is still fresh in everyone's minds or we wait until 2018 and the new guy has to put together a 2018 class (late, but probably not as late) and probably doing it with a program coming off a worse year on the field.

I'm with ya. I still feel like Claeys with be back next year purely because MN is cheap and doesn't want to shell out the 3+ million. Plus the facilities will be closer to completion.

Your football coach should be bigger than the AD and President. If doing their job they are there to support their teams and coaches. If they are big or in the news it's because your teams/coaches are losing or screwing up.

Top Bottom