Coaching Hot Board

gotomn

Reaction score
First, up until this incident, I have been a big advocate of Claeys and felt that removing him was wrong. However, there are a couple of key issues now facing us that were not around 3 weeks ago.

1)More than likely there will be a recruiting violation from the NCAA as a result of the recruit having sex with a cheerleader. This incident is going to not go over well with donars

2)The incident is public enough that it will impact recruiting for 2018, unless someone else is brought in a s the figurehead to "cleans the ship"

3)There are donars who want a fall guy for this mess. The captain of the ship is TC, and he will most likely be the one held responsible for the behavior. The U feels that it will need a public relations “victory” to offset the public perception of this issue. Unfortunately, TC will be that guy.

4)It does not appear that Coyle is a supporter of Claeys.

5)Tickets sales were a disaster last year. For the people who dropped tickets, and more importantly new potential sponsors and ticket buyers, doing nothing is not acceptable. People aren’t going to get behind this program unless they perceive “change”

6)Ultimately, the timing is right. Removing an 8-4 coach in his first year is downright impossible as no other coach will come here. However, doing it after a recruiting violation, openly opposing the administration, and being the head coach when this incident happens, makes it more “acceptable”.

So with that said, my assumption is that TC is relieved after the bowl game.

Since it is slow today, I put together a possible hot list.

Ideal candidates-Coaches who might be available and consider the job.

1-Bret Bielema, age 49, current salary 4.1M-He has won multiple Big 10 championships on a campus similar to Minnesota, in a state that produces similar D1 recruits, and plays a style of football we enjoy in Minnesota. I would love to take him, even if he is a prick.

2-Bobby Petrino, age 55, current salary 3.8M-He won at Louisville, then at Arkansas, then at Western Kentucky, and again at Louisville. Given that issues, no way do they hire him, but if they did, we know that Kaler and Coyle are adopting the Just Win Baby attitude.

3-Chip Kelly-age, 53, current salary 6.5M-He is going to get fired. Most likely going to Texas A&M or some other helmet school. That said, I would take him. Once again, no way do we get him.

Realistic candidate

4-Les Miles, age 63,Unemployed-Miles has proven to be a successful head coach compiling a 141-55 record. He took a .500 squad at Oklahoma state and followed it with 3 winning seasons. Miles had a reputation of being great with the press and boosters. He was involved in the recruitment of Boone Pickens as a top booster, and has been very successful. I believe the PR of his hiring would be great….however the issue is his age. Does a 63 year old coach have the ability to come in and take MN to the next level. While he has captained the ship of 2 top programs, he didn’t take OSU to the next level, and you can argue that LSU slipped at the end of his watch.

5-PJ Fleck, age 36, salary 816,000-Fleck is a viral sensation that has taken a WMU program to the top of college football. While WMU was always decent, he has been tremendously successful in going undefeated last season. He is often compared to Urban Meyer as a young coach. Two possible issues. One is that he has never been a coordinator. Two, he might be Lou Holtz 2.0. He would use Minnesota as a stepping stone and, if successful, would be gone within 5 years.

6-Craig Bohl, age 58, salary 909,000-Bohl is the classic Midwestern coach. Player and defensive coordinator at Nebraska, Bohl then led NDSU to multiple national championships and then moved to Wyoming to lead the Cowboys to the top of the Mountain West. Bohl knows how to win with Midwestern talent, and is a tremendous recruiter of Minnesota. He also, like Kill, can bring an entire staff ready to plug in. His offensive and defensive coordinators were with him at NDSU. Two issues: First, Bohl is not the youngest nor the best spoken coach. I am not certain he would win the press conference, which is one of the keys that Kaler/Coyle would like for their new coach. Two, my personal opinion is that Bohl is a classic Osborne disciple, which means he brings in a lot of borderline players. NDSU and Wyoming are not overly “academic” and I see possible issues with him recruiting players to MN that he wants, but cannot get eligible.

Darkhorses-A couple of guys that could be around the fringes.

7-Skip Holtz-age 52, salary 500,000-Holtz has been a moderately successful coach at a handful of different stops. He had 4 winning seasons at East Carolina, followed by 3 poor years at South Florida, and now has had 3 of 4 successful years at Louisiana Tech. He is the classic Minnesota type hire, who has mediocre credentials but has the right last name. Wouldn’t be the worst, but I will be saddened if this is what we end up with.

8-Brady Hoke-age 58 salary 600,000-Before you laugh, think about who Hoke was prior to the Michigan debacle. He took a very poor Ball State program from virtually winless to a 12-1 record in 2008. He then wen t 13-12 at San Diego State and then led Michigan to an 18-14 record. Hoke’s teams prior to Michigan outperformed expectations. He also has coordinator experience. Once again, not thrilled if we end up here, but who knows.

Mark Coyle observation-In his short time, Coyle has hired 2 football coaches. While at Boise State, Bryan Harsin was hired as the head coach at the age of 38. Harsin was the classic young, up and coming coach. Harsin was at Boise State from 2002-2010, then became the Texas offensive coordinator followed by a single year as the Arkansas State head coach. He has a 38-13 record at Boise State. While at Syracuse, Coyle hired Dino Babers. Babers has a long history serving in a variety of position coaching roles before heading up Eatern Illinois from 2012-2013, Bowling Green from 2014-2015 and Syracuse. His overall record is 41-24. Babers is also knows for his uptempo offense.

It would appear, based on his record, that he tends to hire coaches who a)have head coaching experience b)have high powered offenses c)are not “retreads”

I think all signs point to Fleck.

Most of your points are kinda absurd, to straight up absurd, none get fixed by hiring 1) People who won't come here 2) People who will come here.

Beau Pelini, former Nebraska coach and now at Youngstown State is our best option. His team just upset #2 Eastern Washington in the FCS playoffs. He would crawl on his belly to get back in the B1G. None of the other coaches Slab mentioned would even answer the phone. This job is the bobonic plaque of college football

Beau Pelini, former Nebraska coach and now at Youngstown State is our best option. His team just upset #2 Eastern Washington in the FCS playoffs. He would crawl on his belly to get back in the B1G. None of the other coaches Slab mentioned would even answer the phone. This job is the bobonic plaque of college football

I would love to have Bo here.

Then we get @fauxpellini, too!!!!!

Most of your points are kinda absurd, to straight up absurd, none get fixed by hiring 1) People who won't come here 2) People who will come here.

I agree with the OP in the sense that I was always on board with keeping Claeys. I am also not one that blames him for what happened (I don't think coaches can keep tabs on players at all times).

Having said all that, I am ok now with a coaching change in the sense that I think it would give us a "fresh start" so to speak. I would still only do it if we can get a home-run hire. I'd take Fleck, Petrino, Pelini for sure. Like you say though, they are LONG shots.

If Fleck came and we kept Sawvel and found a new offensive coordinator, i'd be ecstatic.

I think it is going to be interesting in who would want to come here. On one hand, the program is dealing with a **** storm of scandals, but on the other hand it is a big10 job with a new athletic village and with a lot of young talent that will remain here despite what happens with the suspended players.

I said I didn't think Fleck would make this hop a few weeks ago, but this rings even more true now.

Why would a guy that likely has powerhouse school aspirations make this middle hop? Given that we may have about 10-15 transfers/explusions, does he really want to run the risk of going 4-8 3 times and having to start his climb over again?

Well at least his issues were consensual...

Doesn't matter. He has enough baggage even without Wakeyleaks. To think the U would even entertain the thought of hiring someone like Petrino after this latest mess is a real knee slapper (or gut buster, if you prefer that phrase).

Doesn't matter. He has enough baggage even without Wakeyleaks. To think the U would even entertain the thought of hiring someone like Petrino after this latest mess is a real knee slapper (or gut buster, if you prefer that phrase).

Oh I agree, I was just being silly.

If this happens, Bo Pelini is the right choice.... He has an axe to grind against Nebby and it will carry over to the other trophy games... you have my word on it!

Two, he might be Lou Holtz 2.0. He would use Minnesota as a stepping stone and, if successful, would be gone within 5 years.

We've been a dumpster fire for 50+ years. If an incoming coach wants to build up the program and bolt, I think we should build him a statue, not mark it up as a "con" our our coaching check list.

Holtz went 6-5 his second year at Minnesota but is apparently considered our own version of Bear Bryant. Many just assume he would have gotten us to the Rose Bowl given his success at Notre Dame. Hard to prove that though.

If this happens, Bo Pelini is the right choice.... He has an axe to grind against Nebby and it will carry over to the other trophy games... you have my word on it!

Right or wrong the knock against Bo was poor recruiting ... not sure that works here, but he would be amusing for a season... .or two.

For what it's worth the Lansing State Journal columnist (Graham Couch) whose writing I respect has been saying for at least a month or two that Minnesota would be the perfect landing spot for Fleck, citing the facility upgrades in progress and the fact the program has been solid since Kill took over. He thinks Fleck would take the job. Fleck has connections to Kill, I believe?

Fleck has steadily built the WMU program, so I don't think he'd be scared off by the current problems in the Gopher program. And it's not like he'd be starting from scratch. People are freaking out about what just happened (as they should), but there's not going to be the mass exodus of players they're talking about, especially if they hire someone like Fleck (quickly).

Right or wrong the knock against Bo was poor recruiting ... not sure that works here, but he would be amusing for a season... .or two.

Poor recruiting overall, or poor recruiting for Nebraska fans' expectations?

I'm asking without knowing the answer....

And I agree with a couple of the folks above, no way in h*ll we're hiring Petrino, nor should we. He's a snake. No thanks.

Pelini would interest me.

Poor recruiting overall, or poor recruiting for Nebraska fans' expectations?

I'm asking without knowing the answer....

Word has it he didn't like to recruit himself.

Having said that, I agree Nebraska fans expectations are absurd so it is really hard to know how much that is relative to ... reality.

Wow, people continue to be all over the board depending upon what someone says or posts. One second they are on board with the Gophers, the next they are off, and then back on again. Allow the process to play out for the next 10 days or so.

You guys are forgetting what Bo said the first time he interviewed here:

In college football circles it is well known that Bo Pelini, after interviewing at Minnesota following Glen Mason’s firing, called his buddies to tell them he wouldn’t even consider working for that administration.

Granted that was with Maturi as AD. Do you think our administration looks any more enticing today?

Tressel's 5-year show-cause penalty is over today.

According to Rivals he had classes ranked 30th, 23rd, 15th, 26th, 17th, and 32nd. I wouldn't call that poor recruiting, especially when you're recruiting to the middle of nowhere.

I was fine with keeping Claeys, but it now feels like if he stays he's a dead coach walking next year, and that's never good. It's always better to fire a coach too early than too late. However, I felt the same about Pitino coming into this year, so who knows. I also don't want to be hiring a coach in January.

That said, Fleck, Miles and Pelini are all decent options and would all possibly take the job. Unusually good options for this late in the cycle.

In college football circles it is well known that Bo Pelini, after interviewing at Minnesota following Glen Mason’s firing, called his buddies to tell them he wouldn’t even consider working for that administration.

Granted that was with Maturi as AD. Do you think our administration looks any more enticing today?

Amazingly, no. :cry:

Is that his cajun brother? Faux's twin?

For what it's worth the Lansing State Journal columnist (Graham Couch) whose writing I respect has been saying for at least a month or two that Minnesota would be the perfect landing spot for Fleck, citing the facility upgrades in progress and the fact the program has been solid since Kill took over. He thinks Fleck would take the job. Fleck has connections to Kill, I believe?

Fleck has steadily built the WMU program, so I don't think he'd be scared off by the current problems in the Gopher program. And it's not like he'd be starting from scratch. People are freaking out about what just happened (as they should), but there's not going to be the mass exodus of players they're talking about, especially if they hire someone like Fleck (quickly).

Define "mass".

Recruiting is going to be darn near impossible for whomever is the coach given the events of the past week.

It's not about the administration. It's an ax to grind. Plus you've the upgrades ( Stadium and facilities) He would hop the first plane out of Youngstown to get here. I don't think Coyle should fire Claeys for his stand on supporting due process. That being said, if he is indeed going to fire Tracy I would be making the call right now to Pelini.

Unless even the rumor train missed it.... it's not like Bo has a lot of options.

Granted I doubt we would go with Bo, he has had a mixed relationship with administrators, Minnesota probabbly wouldn't be very tolerate of that.

Define "mass".

Excluding the 5? (good riddance to those guys)

Neighborhood of 10-15, so 15-20 total. And half or more of those 10-15 will have nothing to do with the boycott. Always some academic casualties who can't hack it, as well as guys not pleased with their playing time, so those guys quietly move on and we get a canned 2-sentence press release with a cut & paste quote from the head coach.

I've been wrong many times before. That may be the case here. Just don't think it's Doomsday if we hire a coach the players will respect, and do it quickly.

Just so it is clear, I didn't start this thread because I dislike Claeys or do not want to keep him. I just believe Kahler and Coyle will use this as a chance to replace him. As long as he goes 7-5 or 8-4, you cannot justify removing him. However, this incident gives them cause, regardless of how little TC had to do with it.

Top Bottom