Coach Knowles on the challenge that Minnesota presents: "They're the best 4th down conversion team in the country."

Just yesterday on this board i was told that they are one of the worst teams in the country at game management

Both of these statements can be true. Maybe if we weren't so bad on 1st, 2nd and 3rd downs we wouldn't need to rely on 4th down! ;)

Go Gophers!!
By contrast, Gophs are ranked #115 on 3rd down conversions on defense, opponents convert 45% of the time. They are dead last in allowing 4th down conversions. #130. Opponents convert 85% of the time.

Wow, they’re shaking in their boots on this one! Hey say something nice about your blind date…”um she’s got a nice ring tone on her phone”. Yeesh, that’s pretty damn bad. 4th down, thank god he didn’t ask what he thinks they like. “Well, their defense is awful against good teams, hell even bad teams!“ Just show some fight boys…prove these guys wrong! I’ll be watching with my crew as always.

Wow, they’re shaking in their boots on this one! Hey say something nice about your blind date…”um she’s got a nice ring tone on her phone”. Yeesh, that’s pretty damn bad. 4th down, thank god he didn’t ask what he thinks they like. “Well, their defense is awful against good teams, hell even bad teams!“ Just show some fight boys…prove these guys wrong! I’ll be watching with my crew as always.
I don’t think they’re shaking in their boots

Ohio State has probably been laughing at the Gophers after watching the Purdue film. 600 yards of offense and a defense that gave up 49 points to Purdue. You can expect them to just show up and score points. I'm expecting them to just show up the Buckeyes and expect to win. Would be nice if the Gophers didn't get blown out or steam-rolled. They will be thinking about Michigan as they look to put stuff on film. Probably trying to find motivation to not be bored after 3 plays. Gophers, shssh they don't cover or tackle.

Last edited:

He left out the part of being tied for number 1. Not sure if they are any good this year but the other team we are tied with is Georgia.
Stats
Ohio St coach had to dig for that one. :)
Ohio St is #61 on the list....we should get some points off the spread for this. Wait until the bookies learn about this.

When asked what we are good at, one of the best things he could come up with was "taking the play clock down"? Guess he's afraid we might win the crucial time of possession battle.

By contrast, Gophs are ranked #115 on 3rd down conversions on defense, opponents convert 45% of the time. They are dead last in allowing 4th down conversions. #130. Opponents convert 85% of the time.
So, based on these stats, both teams should be going for it on every 4th down like that high school team in Texas, and then it may be a dogfight.

Question: "What are they good at?"
Answer: "Not much really, so I'll pull this out of my ass. About 3 plays a game."
Question : “What are they good at?”
Answer: “Their FG kicker is maybe their best scoring player on the team?“

When asked what we are good at, one of the best things he could come up with was "taking the play clock down"? Guess he's afraid we might win the crucial time of possession battle.
How do we take the play lock down when we can’t get 1st downs?

I think he’s looking at tape from 2019.

If 45 and six can’t play, then Ohio State will play their starters for one series in the second half and then they’ll be flirting with cheerleaders the rest of the game. Back in 83 against Nebraska I remember the trainers dragging Ivan Zubar off the field. I thought he might’ve been dead — dude was a freshman playing against Steinkuler and Remington. Let’s just hope we don’t see carnage like we did on that day.

If 45 and six can’t play, then Ohio State will play their starters for one series in the second half and then they’ll be flirting with cheerleaders the rest of the game. Back in 83 against Nebraska I remember the trainers dragging Ivan Zubar off the field. I thought he might’ve been dead — dude was a freshman playing against Steinkuler and Remington. Let’s just hope we don’t see carnage like we did on that day.
That's a great line. I am finally over 83-13 but now I hope Nebby loses because it sets Jon Johnston off and that is when he is at his best.

OSU coaches are lovin' the part where they see we will use a LB to cover Marvin Harrison Jr. on a deep route ... or we will play a weird version of a zone in which none of the 7 or 8 we drop back have more than a fleeting, transitory responsibility to account for Harrison.

OSU coaches are lovin' the part where they see we will use a LB to cover Marvin Harrison Jr. on a deep route ... or we will play a weird version of a zone in which none of the 7 or 8 we drop back have more than a fleeting, transitory responsibility to account for Harrison.
You could give all seven or eight of them direct, specific responsibility to account for Harrison and would matter not a bit.

One thing is for certain their punter will not have a sore leg after our game. The over/under on the number of punts for tOSU is 3. I.‘m taking the under. Perhaps 2. In the second half.

You could give all seven or eight of them direct, specific responsibility to account for Harrison and would matter not a bit.
When I watch fOSU Over Rated Harrison is not even targeted. I plan to go into full jinx mode on him starting right now. Saturday we run with him, Saturday we stay with him and we shut him down because we can.

Typical OSU game is we kind of hang near them in 1st half, then, in 2nd half, they make adjustments (we don’t/can’t) and their depth takes over, so they pull away to a very lopsided score. Afraid this game might play out like at Purdue: OSU pulls away in the 1st half, as our defensive coordination appears to be in shambles (esp. if we are playing freshman LBs).

Minnesota's quarterback has the longest surname in the conference.

Golden Gophers is an anagram for Dong Helps Ogre

Cheerleading was invented at Minnesota

I had a turkey sandwich for lunch

all reasons the M&G will win Saturday

Top Bottom