Coach Kill is different

Parski1 said:
Please!!! ^^^^^^^

You don't think he would move to at least double if not triple his salary at a school where you could legitimately compete for a national title?

Don't you think Lou Holtz, Glen Mason, Tim Brewster, and Jerry Kill are different from each other?

I am sure all these guys are different than each other. Doesn't make Kill a better person than the rest. Probably can find just as much on these guys helping their players and others as Kill does.

Jerry Kill just happens to be the new guy in town so you want it to be that he is in fact "different" than the rest. He might be different but wanting it to be true doesn't make it so.

I am not anti-Jerry Kill but turning him into a saint is ridiculous.

Doing charitable work is nothing new in college athletics. Every program does it. They visit kids in the hospital, do free clinics, volunteer at shelters, etc. As much appreciated as it is - Jerry Kill is not the first coach to do this.

There are a lot of stupid arguments on this board, but this has to be one of the stupidest ever.

The point of the original post is that someone who knows a lot about football finds coach Kill to be different from other coaches he has known, in that he has a heightened sense of conscientiousness, a greater attention to detail, and a more specific vision of where he wants to take the program.

This isn't to make him out to be a saint and it doesn't mean that he would never move to another program to further his career. He moved here, didn't he? And it doesn't mean that other coaches aren't conscientious, don't pay attention to detail, and don't have a vision. It only says that these positive attributes are amplified in coach Kill.

I find it altogether fitting that members of this board, where certain individuals have shown that they're never satisfied unless they're criticizing someone, and they're never happy unless they're unhappy, are constructing these straw-man arguments that he isn't a saint and you shouldn't say good things about him so you can't be disappointed later. Who is making him out to be a saint? Who is saying he could never disappoint us? That's just an argument you're starting to give your lives meaning that it doesn't otherwise have.

everybody knows my name

Thank you for your post. I had started to write a response that many of these posts remind of my experience of living in Norway for two years. There nobody dares to appear to be better than anybocy else. Then I was going to blame their commits on their Scandinavian genes. That would have pissed off a lot of people including my Norwegian wife. The good news is that after reading your comment above I realized that you had already said what I wanted to say much better than I possibly could. So thanks everybody knows my name. I am glad I didn't have to say any of those things.

If anyone has had a chance to meet any previous coaches as well as Coach Kill, they would agree with Darrell, Highwayman and others.

It might not be that he cares more or does more than those before him (even though I think that is the case). But the way he comes across to these kids and parents is what sets him apart.

Tim Riggins said:
If anyone has had a chance to meet any previous coaches as well as Coach Kill, they would agree with Darrell, Highwayman and others.

It might not be that he cares more or does more than those before him (even though I think that is the case). But the way he comes across to these kids and parents is what sets him apart.

Well said Riggins! ^^^^ (though I think that's the case too)

Tim Riggins said:

I think SportsFan24 might disagree with your last sentence. I actually like Kill but don't think he is all that different from most other coaches and not the second coming of Knute Rockne.

You don't think he would move to at least double if not triple his salary at a school where you could legitimately compete for a national title?

Don't you think it's a bit premature to talk of coach Kill leaving Minnesota for the riches of national powerhouses? He hasn't yet won a game this season.

GoodasGold said:
Don't you think it's a bit premature to talk of coach Kill leaving Minnesota for the riches of national powerhouses? He hasn't yet won a game this season.

I think it is HIGHLY unlikely he would ever get one of those offers, just responded to those that think he has some lifelong devotion to Minnesota just because he said he is done moving. Coaches say this all the time and when and a big If a better opportunity came he would likely leave IMO.

He hasn't lost one either.

Thanks ekmn. Well put.

I'm glad you did this....becuase the tangent of op's post was amazing.. Not sure how that went to comparing Kill to Paterno. The 1st amendment is awesome.

GM

I think SportsFan24 might disagree with your last sentence. I actually like Kill but don't think he is all that different from most other coaches and not the second coming of Knute Rockne.

He may not be that but he certainly isn't the second coming of Tim Brewster either. What amazes me though is how some people refuse to recognize all the good things he is doing here now and in the past. Yes, I know it doesn't guarantee that he will succeed here in turning the program around but it is the first step if he is going to do it.

Killjoy said:
He may not be that but he certainly isn't the second coming of Tim Brewster either. What amazes me though is how some people refuse to recognize all the good things he is doing here now and in the past. Yes, I know it doesn't guarantee that he will succeed here in turning the program around but it is the first step if he is going to do it.

Because Gopherhole is always - Half Glass Empty.

Because Gopherhole is always - Half Glass Empty.
Glass half empty? When is the last time we had it full enough to call it half empty?

You are going to get on people for being pessimistic about a program that has 1 top half finish in 10 years.
3 top half finishes in the past 20 years.
5 top half finishes in the past 30 years.

When Cal Stoll has the best conference winning percentage in your program over a 40 year period....glass half empty is being way too optimistic.

As for Kill, if you are going to say he might get it done, why is it not okay for other people to point out he has not and might not get it done.
The vast majority of coaches couldn't win a Big Ten Title at Minnesota in the present time. It would take something pretty special to make it happen.

Glass half empty? When is the last time we had it full enough to call it half empty?

You are going to get on people for being pessimistic about a program that has 1 top half finish in 10 years.

When Cal Stoll has the best conference winning percentage in your program over a 40 year period....glass half empty is being way too optimistic.

As for Kill, if you are going to say he might get it done, why is it not okay for other people to point out he has not and might not get it done.
The vast majority of coaches couldn't win a Big Ten Title at Minnesota in the present time. It would take something pretty special to make it happen.

Mr Sushine had to get up at 1:22 am this morning to share his doom and gloom with us. Why the hell does he even folllowing the Gophers? Could it be that he enjoys being miserable? What ever the reason is he is one depressing fellow. But I think he enjoys it a little too much. He must be either br a troll or a masochist. Ah, I know we he is. He is that charater in Lit'l Abner who walked around with cloud over his head all the time. LOL

Rosemountian said:

Wow - soooooo negative!!

This is a long term rebuilding project, so far I like what I see, I'll reserve judgment on whether Coach Kill can get it done until after next year. For everyone that thinks he'll leave if he gets the job done you have to factor in age and health. I don't think that he'll have us to the point that he's attractive to other programs for 3-4 more years and likely would need a couple of good years in a row after that. By my calculations he will be 55 by the time his record would justify a helmet school looking at him. Do you really think a helmet school will hire a 55 year old coach with a history of major health problems?

Bielema or Brewster? I doubt Kim has a very good recollection of Wisconsin's preparation.

2006-07 • WISCONSIN:
2007 (Sophomore): Played in 12 of 13 games, missing Oct. 6 date vs. Illinois due to injury • saw action as extra defensive back in passing situations and on special teams • tallied 14 total tackles and forced one fumble • recorded a season-high four tackles vs. Penn State on Oct. 13 • 2006 (Freshman): Played in 12 games on special teams and saw limited action in defensive secondary • first career interception came against Minnesota on Oct. 14 • recorded season-high four tackles vs. Western Illinois on Sept. 9.

It looks like he has a great recollection of Wisconsin's coaches.

Glass half empty? Blah, blah, blah...

My level of optimism is not a barometer of past performance. My feelings of this team and this staff is measured as of today, and recalculated annually.

You really should follow another team. You appear to be a prime candidate for a band wagon.

2006-07 • WISCONSIN:
2007 (Sophomore): Played in 12 of 13 games, missing Oct. 6 date vs. Illinois due to injury • saw action as extra defensive back in passing situations and on special teams • tallied 14 total tackles and forced one fumble • recorded a season-high four tackles vs. Penn State on Oct. 13 • 2006 (Freshman): Played in 12 games on special teams and saw limited action in defensive secondary • first career interception came against Minnesota on Oct. 14 • recorded season-high four tackles vs. Western Illinois on Sept. 9.

It looks like he has a great recollection of Wisconsin's coaches.

My point was that his point of view and attention to detail as a freshman and sophomore is going to be far different than his viewpoint as a 6th year senior. The quote I was referring to would have made more sense if it said Brewster instead of Bielema.

My level of optimism is not a barometer of past performance. My feelings of this team and this staff is measured as of today, and recalculated annually.

You really should follow another team. You appear to be a prime candidate for a band wagon.
A bandwagon fans follows a team when it it good.

I dont think it is possible for there to be a bandwagon fan for the gophers.

I thought we had settled the Kill debate with giving him time to actually get his players in and his system installed. It has been less than 2 years. I think the honeymoon may be over but the love goes on.

A bandwagon fans follows a team when it it good.

I dont think it is possible for there to be a bandwagon fan for the gophers.

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. I suggested that you follow another team i.e. a team that is currently enjoying success...thus jumping on their bandwagon.

Thanks ekmn. Well put.

I'm glad you did this....becuase the tangent of op's post was amazing.. Not sure how that went to comparing Kill to Paterno. The 1st amendment is awesome.

GM

If this post was ironic, kudos!

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote. I suggested that you follow another team i.e. a team that is currently enjoying success...thus jumping on their bandwagon.
why would i stop following the team 20 minutes from my house?
Why would i stop following the team that ive attended over 120 games in the past 20 years?

why would i stop following the team 20 minutes from my house?
Why would i stop following the team that ive attended over 120 games in the past 20 years?

Because is sure as hell appears that this team brings no joy to your life, and has mad it near impossible for you to be anything but negative about this coaching staff.

Because is sure as hell appears that this team brings no joy to your life, and has mad it near impossible for you to be anything but negative about this coaching staff.

+1 to this. Not directed to Rosemountian specifically, but there are an abnormally large number of Gopher followers (both here and elsewhere) who seem to take some kind of sadistic pleasure in following the team. If you're constantly expecting the worst, and following the team brings you no joy, why do it? I get upset when the team loses and continues to generally suck, but I continue to believe things will get better at some point. If your entire fanhood of the team is ensconced in negativism, why even follow the team? It makes no sense to me.

Top Bottom