Coach Fleck- Heavy

Oh no, his clones are starting to make clones. As we start making copies of copies we will see the peeling away of similarity and quality of the source. He better watch it, if the short-lived Claeys era taught us anything, Gopherhole DEMANDS a sexy football coach.

Or maybe he's absolutely jacked under that suit, in which case, he has been watching the Joe Rogan Experience and is on a strict diet of grass fed elk, kettle bells, and hormone replacement therapy. I hope so, cause I pointed out, we don't agree on much here, but we all agree, we need a sexy coach.

This is exactly it.

Look through football history. All great coaches oozed sexiness.

Saban is a smokeshow

Watching the media days, I wonder if he'll fit through the door of Heather's closet.

I wonder how that first locker room body surf is going to go this Fall?

It happens to the best of us.

all joking aside - that was one of my first thoughts when I saw the video of his opening statement - that his face looked "puffy" for lack of a better term.

now, to be fair, on TV that can be affected by lighting, camera angles, etc.

but I agree that he looks a little puffed up compared to the screenshot from the Spring practice interview.

maybe he's just put on a little weight. I've lost weight this year and my face is definitely thinner.

my other thought is that is could be some type of a reaction to medication.

but the dude looks different. that has nothing to do with his coaching ability. it's just an observation.

This is how Brett Bielema started — he came home one night and asked his wife “Does this Hawkeye tattoo on my calf make me look fat?” He wasn’t expecting her candor.

Looks like more cosmetic procedures, maybe excessive injections to hide wrinkles, etc..

My read on it is that something has caused him to burn less calories each day and he potentially has not changed his diet to accommodate needing less caloric intake. Or perhaps something is causing him to retain more water and is causing him to be more bloated.

Perhaps he started on a new medication that has slowed his metabolism, and is still in the process of adjusting to it. Perhaps he has been busy in the new landscape of NIL and unlimited transfers, or has just been extra busy preparing for the upcoming season, and has not been able to be as active as he has been in the past and hasn't altered his eating habits to match.

Perhaps he is under more stress than he has been in the past. This could be because of the new CFB landscape with NIL, unlimited transfers, conference realignment, etc. This could be because he is feeling pressure to not repeat the mistakes of last year. This could be from other, non-football related stressors (building a new house that is almost complete, stress from parenting as his kids are getting older, etc). Perhaps this increased stress has either impacted his metabolism, or has caused him to not eat as healthy/eat more as a way to cope with the stress.

Or, perhaps it was just a trick of the camera/lighting (as the saying goes "the camera adds 10 pounds"). Last year the color balance on the main B1G media day videos was all out of wack and he looked kinda sickly green, but photos/videos from reporters showed that nothing was wrong.

Or maybe he's just become the victim of his metabolism slowing with age. Though, since this seems like a relatively fast change happening over the span of months rather than years, I think this is unlikely to be the root cause (though it may be contributing).

Also, this could just be a result of where his body stores fat. Maybe he's only gained 10 or so pounds, which is likely not a big deal since he was always a leaner person, but it all is showing up in his face so it looks like he's gained much more weight.

However, I think we as a society are too obsessed with weight and looks to begin with, and none of us (AFAIK) are his doctor nor know his current state of health. He's always struck me as a very health-conscious person so, regardless of how much he weighs or how it shows itself on his body, I don't think we should assume that he is suddenly "less healthy" because of this.

Also, at the end of the day his weight does not impact his ability to execute his duties as head coach, so why should we care? Additionally, it's his body and he can treat it however he sees fit IMO so long as he is not causing harm to others (I hold this opinion for lots of things. I don't care if a person smokes, drinks, does drugs, etc so long as they aren't harming others in the process. I may not do some of those things myself, but if someone wants to it's not my place to try to stop them or judge them until they begin to hurt others).

My read on it is that something has caused him to burn less calories each day and he potentially has not changed his diet to accommodate needing less caloric intake. Or perhaps something is causing him to retain more water and is causing him to be more bloated.

Perhaps he started on a new medication that has slowed his metabolism, and is still in the process of adjusting to it. Perhaps he has been busy in the new landscape of NIL and unlimited transfers, or has just been extra busy preparing for the upcoming season, and has not been able to be as active as he has been in the past and hasn't altered his eating habits to match.

Perhaps he is under more stress than he has been in the past. This could be because of the new CFB landscape with NIL, unlimited transfers, conference realignment, etc. This could be because he is feeling pressure to not repeat the mistakes of last year. This could be from other, non-football related stressors (building a new house that is almost complete, stress from parenting as his kids are getting older, etc). Perhaps this increased stress has either impacted his metabolism, or has caused him to not eat as healthy/eat more as a way to cope with the stress.

Or, perhaps it was just a trick of the camera/lighting (as the saying goes "the camera adds 10 pounds"). Last year the color balance on the main B1G media day videos was all out of wack and he looked kinda sickly green, but photos/videos from reporters showed that nothing was wrong.

Or maybe he's just become the victim of his metabolism slowing with age. Though, since this seems like a relatively fast change happening over the span of months rather than years, I think this is unlikely to be the root cause (though it may be contributing).

Also, this could just be a result of where his body stores fat. Maybe he's only gained 10 or so pounds, which is likely not a big deal since he was always a leaner person, but it all is showing up in his face so it looks like he's gained much more weight.

However, I think we as a society are too obsessed with weight and looks to begin with, and none of us (AFAIK) are his doctor nor know his current state of health. He's always struck me as a very health-conscious person so, regardless of how much he weighs or how it shows itself on his body, I don't think we should assume that he is suddenly "less healthy" because of this.

Also, at the end of the day his weight does not impact his ability to execute his duties as head coach, so why should we care? Additionally, it's his body and he can treat it however he sees fit IMO so long as he is not causing harm to others (I hold this opinion for lots of things. I don't care if a person smokes, drinks, does drugs, etc so long as they aren't harming others in the process. I may not do some of those things myself, but if someone wants to it's not my place to try to stop them or judge them until they begin to hurt others).

Really? :sleep:

That's the face of a man who sees our NIL capability, doesn't have huge expectations, but can also spend a lot of money on good steak and whiskey.

Edit: But seriously, I hope the guy is OK. I noticed the last 1-2 years his face and eyes looked a bit puffy, the way some people do when they take heavy duty meds for some sort of autoimmune disease or chronic illness.

Not everyone is blessed with Greek beard genetics, Darren
Grew my mustache at age 16 in 1975 and it has not been shaved ever for 49 years and not starting any time soon.

Grew my first beard at age 17 in 1976 and have only been clean shaven twice in 48 years, but I grow it out and then shear it on a 5-6 month rotation. No starting to clean shaven on the horizon either. Too lazy to trim it at a constant length so just grow it and cut it in this cycle..

For many years I've encouraged young men who are so-called "trying" to grow a beard and mustache to leave it alone to see what God and nature gave you for facial hair and then it is up to you to figure out how to make what you've got it look good. Certainly the minimal look worked for Errol Flynn while ZZ Top is king of the old growth beards. Every guy has potential.

Also, much better to have facial hair BEFORE you meet your significant other for life. Seen many a guy be allowed only the fall hunting beard because she (or he) does not like how it looks or feels. Mrs. Billd knew exactly what she was getting from day 1 and today is our 36th wedding anniversary. When I do shear a week can go by before she notices...

Back to Coach, yes this is somewhat petty but it's July. Hoping whatever this may or may not be does not rise above July jibber jabber.

Go Gophers.

Grew my mustache at age 16 in 1975 and it has not been shaved ever for 49 years and not starting any time soon.

Grew my first beard at age 17 in 1976 and have only been clean shaven twice in 48 years, but I grow it out and then shear it on a 5-6 month rotation. No starting to clean shaven on the horizon either. Too lazy to trim it at a constant length so just grow it and cut it in this cycle..

For many years I've encouraged young men who are so-called "trying" to grow a beard and mustache to leave it alone to see what God and nature gave you for facial hair and then it is up to you to figure out how to make what you've got it look good. Certainly the minimal look worked for Errol Flynn while ZZ Top is king of the old growth beards. Every guy has potential.

Also, much better to have facial hair BEFORE you meet your significant other for life. Seen many a guy be allowed only the fall hunting beard because she (or he) does not like how it looks or feels. Mrs. Billd knew exactly what she was getting from day 1 and today is our 36th wedding anniversary. When I do shear a week can go by before she notices...

Back to Coach, yes this is somewhat petty but it's July. Hoping whatever this may or may not be does not rise above July jibber jabber.

Go Gophers.
It kind of seems you might have been waiting for a thread that even somewhat touched on facial hair so that you could tell this story.

all joking aside - that was one of my first thoughts when I saw the video of his opening statement - that his face looked "puffy" for lack of a better term.

now, to be fair, on TV that can be affected by lighting, camera angles, etc.

but I agree that he looks a little puffed up compared to the screenshot from the Spring practice interview.

maybe he's just put on a little weight. I've lost weight this year and my face is definitely thinner.

my other thought is that is could be some type of a reaction to medication.

but the dude looks different. that has nothing to do with his coaching ability. it's just an observation.
I found your weight.

That's the face of a man who sees our NIL capability, doesn't have huge expectations, but can also spend a lot of money on good steak and whiskey.

Edit: But seriously, I hope the guy is OK. I noticed the last 1-2 years his face and eyes looked a bit puffy, the way some people do when they take heavy duty meds for some sort of autoimmune disease or chronic illness.
Maybe spending a lot of time in the film room and ordering Papa John's?

It kind of seems you might have been waiting for a thread that even somewhat touched on facial hair so that you could tell this story.
Yep, busted.

Certified FHFL Advocate.

Facial Hair For Life.

Losing it other places but solid on the face. Go Gophers!

Reusse loved "Big Country" Claeys and Fleck really, really wants to get on his good side after all these years....
Wondering what Reusse’s good side looks like since his BS meter is always on, except for himself.

Top Bottom