Co-Head Coaches Next Year: Tracy Claeys & Lane Kiffin?

goldygoph

Reaction score
I talked to one person at a tailgate this past weekend, and they mentioned that Tracy has got to win at least 2 more games (or beat Wisco) this year to keep his job. So.... makes me wonder...

What you guys think if next year we had two co-head coaches, Tracy Claeys and Lane Kiffin. I think it could be a perfect marriage, as opposites attract in personalities and their strengths and weaknesses both off-set each other:

Claeys Strengths/Kiffin's Weaknesses:
-Defense
-Winning
-Developing players, especially on defense
-Sounds very tired with the responsibilities of being a HC in just his first year, I do think he would consider being a Co-HC

Kiffin's Strengths/Claeys Weaknesses:
-Offense
-Recruiting
-Good for fundraising/marketable
-3rd year as a offense coordinator, two head coaching stops, and all he wants to do again is be a head coach again (or coach head coach :)

I talked to one person at a tailgate this past weekend, and they mentioned that Tracy has got to win at least 2 more games (or beat Wisco) this year to keep his job. So.... makes me wonder...

What you guys think if next year we had two co-head coaches, Tracy Claeys and Lane Kiffin. I think it could be a perfect marriage, as opposites attract in personalities and their strengths and weaknesses both off-set each other:

-Defense
-Winning
-Sounds very tired with the responsibilities of being a HC in just his first year, I do think he would consider being a Co-HC

-Offense
-Recruiting
-3rd year as a offense coordinator, two head coaching stops, and all he wants to do again is be a head coach again (or coach head coach :)

You have got to be kidding...

At this point I'd like to give Claeys more time.

But I'm up for going full crazy at some point.

Claeys takes a humiliating demotion and Kiffin takes a step back in his coaching career to share duties with someone he's likely never met?

Claeys takes a humiliating demotion and Kiffin takes a step back in his coaching career to share duties with someone he's likely never met?

It is hard to know what offers Kiffin has or might have but if he wants to HC, I'm not sure after his last two runs at it he would get super great offers as HC. As OC he can go anywhere... HC maybe not so much.

Granted he could just give it time at Bama and later pick up better offers.

Co-head coaches....yep that happens at the power 5 level of football all the time.

It is hard to know what offers Kiffin has or might have but if he wants to HC, I'm not sure after his last two runs at it he would get super great offers as HC. As OC he can go anywhere... HC maybe not so much.

Granted he could just give it time at Bama and later pick up better offers.

The premise of this thread is ridiculous. Having said that, how many other schools would be willing to pay their OC $1.5M+? You are probably right that he could go anywhere as OC...if he's willing to take a pay-cut, otherwise his options are HC positions if he's looking for more $$. He clearly saw the ALA job as a way to repair his image and chances as HC.

whatever you guys were drinking at the tailgate, i would like a sample

The premise of this thread is ridiculous. Having said that, how many other schools would be willing to pay their OC $1.5M+? You are probably right that he could go anywhere as OC...if he's willing to take a pay-cut, otherwise his options are HC positions if he's looking for more $$. He clearly saw the ALA job as a way to repair his image and chances as HC.

The premise is a fun thought experiment.

I think Kiffin has expressed long term interest in being a HC in the future. My only point is that MN might be the only level of job available at this point.... but who knows.

But yah it is silly fun thought experiment.

I think Kaler should appoint an outside committee to coach the team next year.

Unbeleveable that anyone in Minn. would want to hire Lane Kiffin. Let alone as a co-coach. His success at Alabama is only because Saban signs the best high school players in America. If co- coaches were a possibility - and I see no need - then Glen Mason would be a much better choice. Hell, he might even bring back the best offensive line coach in America---Gordie Shaw. Then we would really have something. Look out Big Ten, here come the Gophers.

-Defense
-Winning

-Offense
-Recruiting

Everyone here is ignoring the real news here. Who were you talking with at your tailgate who said Claeys needs to win two more games to keep his job? He sounds plugged in.

Unbeleveable that anyone in Minn. would want to hire Lane Kiffin. Let alone as a co-coach. His success at Alabama is only because Saban signs the best high school players in America. If co- coaches were a possibility - and I see no need - then Glen Mason would be a much better choice. Hell, he might even bring back the best offensive line coach in America---Gordie Shaw. Then we would really have something. Look out Big Ten, here come the Gophers.

You are mistaken. Clearly the co-coach Claeys needs is Marc Treastman.

-Defense
-Winning

-Offense
-Recruiting

Lane Kiffin makes more as an OC at Bama then he would as a head coach at Minnesota....plus he is more than likely the coach in waiting for Bama when Saban retires...

If this was all a joke then I'll giggle.

As the risk of being a downer - a savior is not riding in on a white horse to "save" Gopher football.

In the end, the investment you put into a program determines the level of success you are likely to have. That investment includes facilities, coaches salaries, recruiting budget, and the level of support from the faculty and administration.

The Gophers could hire Lane Kiffin as Coach - hell, they could hire Urban Meyer and Nick Saban as co-coaches, and they would still likely be at the same level of success until the other forms of investment are upgraded or improved.

You want a winning program - you need to provide the same level of support as other winning programs. The new facilities will help, but the U of MN still has to deal with the underlying factors that have resulted in the last 50 years of average to below-average results. Changing coaches is like throwing a new coat of paint on an old house - the termites are still there - the old plumbing and insulation is still there.

Umm, wouldn't the U of M's policy prohibiting hiring coaches involved in NCAA sanctions prohibit Lane Kiffin????

-Defense
-Winning

-Offense
-Recruiting

I'd refer to this a "hornet's nest kicking" post. It's differentiated from a "poke the bear" post which targets a specific individual to lose their mind in a response to a hypothetical situation manufactured solely for the purpose of getting a rise out of someone. This is clearly aimed at a larger audience and did a great job of soliciting response.

Post #2 will be...

Trump and Hillary are lovers and will have a baby together that will end up being a super politician.

Goldygoph,

If the person you were talking to spoke in a Yoda-like haiku style, it was probably Beavcoon. The strong logic and reasoning employed in your post lead me to believe you two have a lot in common.

Sorry, but your first post was lacking in substance although you had your reasons to make the post.

But don't get discouraged and keep on posting. This is not a perfect place by far. After all this is just a discussion board.

-Defense
-Winning

-Offense
-Recruiting

Good stuff. The entire thing is gold. Well done.

Top Bottom