Closing city streets

I appreciate this topic, only because it has helped bring to light some of the real issues we face related to the improving the gameday experience at the U. With regard to the direction of the topic provided by the OP, the issue of the band marching down University Ave., I think seeing that, or some version of that (e.g. 4th street or Oak St. instead), come to reality is a function of other changes.

Either by the will of the University as a whole*, or the fanbase doing it themselves, the experience has to improve a notch on its own in terms of fan involvement before the proper actions** will be taken to make it happen.

* = As far as it is known, Parking at Transportation Services (PTS) makes all the money and is the "gatekeeper" with regard to parking, tailgating, and rules enforcement. As the master example, why would PTS allow any U entitiy (e.g. Athletics) advertise a wonderful asset like the East River Flats, when they would rather funnel tailgating activity into their lots under their terms. They make the money, and they make further money enforcing rules that dampen the atmosphere. Anyone who tailgates on an existing surface lot near the stadium knows what I mean.

OK, so to improve that, someone at the U needs to convince PTS to A) allow cheaper tailgating, like a first-come-first-serve at a price relative to distance from stadium -- not going to happen because of economics. What's wrong with the model now from their perspective? B) Relax the rules -- why? those rules keep costs down by making cleanup easier and the probability of lawsuits lower.

OR, you can exploit non-U owned experiences like the East River Flats (operated by the Minneapolis Parks Department with much relaxed rules). Side note: if you aren't doing this already, stop paying those ridiculous fees and start tailgating at the flats. It is a far superior experience to any surface lot, and could be this university's version of "the grove" or whatever analog you wish to choose.

** = the proper actions are economic and political. 1) Provide an economic incentive to the band. That group of people does untold amounts and is one of the most underappreicated units at the university by a long shot. A sponsorship for this parade down University, whose money goes straight to helping the band (scholarships, instruments, uniforms, whatever) would be great. Otherwise it would be Athletics, SOM, or some other U department take take take take taking from the students time and the bands budget with minimal if any benefit to the students and the band program. The U alumni band would be great facilitators of something like this because from what I know they truly have their best interests at heart. 2) Once there is an incentive, mountains like the street closure issue are moved more easily and they are the following - getting the local city council rep and neighborhood associations to back the closure; coordinating with the proper officials (band, police, athletics, etc.) to work out the logistics.

I hate fat Pat, but he was right last fall when he put the blame on us fans for making it happen. We sit back too often idly and just bitch that things don't happen. Nothing is going to happen without two things, IMHO --- 1) the fans rejecting the U's offers and doing their own thing (e.g. East River Flats) forcing them to make the atmosphere improvement more of a priority for their own economic incentives and 2) the right people working together to make GOOD happen for the right people.

Do not marginalize the band and just expect them to just do things . They already do too much, even if they are too proud and upbeat to admit it.

I miss the days of my youth, watching with my father when the band came down University avenue toward the Brick House. Plenty of parties at the fraternaties and such. The way college is supposed to be.

Top Bottom