Closing city streets

1gophergnu

Reaction score
The City of St Paul closed West 7th Street for several hours to accommodate the crowd for St Patrick's day. Why can't the City of Minneapolis close a street for a half hour or so before a Gopher game to accommodate the marching band?

The City of St Paul closed West 7th Street for several hours to accommodate the crowd for St Patrick's day. Why can't the City of Minneapolis close a street for a half hour or so before a Gopher game to accommodate the marching band?

Contact the leaders of the following Minneapolis Neighborhood Associations. They will be happy to tell you why the U Marching Band can't march on University Avenue anymore. The members of the Minneapolis City Council won't wipe their own asses without the approval of the Neighborhood Associations. If any of them gets crosswise with their Neighborhood Associations even one time they will lose their next election and will be forced to go find a real job to support themselves.

- Marcy-Holmes (Dinkytown)

- Prospect Park

- University

Because the parade is the main attraction today. For games 50,000 are trying to get to the game.

The solution is right there in front of us. We will scheduled it as a Saint Patrick day parade and give the band members shamrocks to wear.

Because the parade is the main attraction today. For games 50,000 are trying to get to the game.

When I was a kid and went to the games at Memorial Stadium with 60,000+ it seemed to work fine.

When I was a kid and went to the games at Memorial Stadium with 60,000+ it seemed to work fine.

Back then though the greatest danger was a pedestrian getting trampled by a runaway horse.

I really wish people would find some other windmills to tilt at. It ain't happenin'. I'm not sure which part of "ONLY personal vehicle access to campus from the west" people don't understand. The already infinitesimal chance went to zero as soon as plans for light rail were approved.

25452521.jpg

Would dpodoll68 and GopherRock please post a list of approved by them topics so I know what I can post about.

Be strong. Say what you wish to say. Stick to your guns. Some people may try to give you a hard time...but they only succeed if you let them succeed. Thick skin is needed some times. However, there are some people out there who will enjoy reading what you have to say. The fact that someone may counter what you have to say just means that there is a divergence of opinion. And, on a message board: that is a VERY good thing... ; 0 )

Good luck and keep on posting! You count just as much as anyone else here. What you have to say helps make this an interesting forum.

By the way, I still recall when the Band Marched to MEMORIAL STADIUM. I was reminded of that at the game with Nebraska in Lincoln. Their band marched the route that they always march to the stadium. Their fans LOVE the tradition that helps to provide. Hearing that band in the distance really brought back memories for me. We did a lot of walking...and that was just fine.

We should NEVER give up. It would add a lot to Game Day Saturday.

And just wait until the vikqueen plays in TCF BANK STADIUM on Sundays. Those local neighborhoods have seen NOTHING yet. I almost feel very sorry for the University Community to have to be disrupted for all those Sunday games. What will all those people do?

So, NEVER give up on the possibility of closing down a road or two on Game Day Saturday for Golden Gopher Football!

Post what ever you want to post about Golden Gopher Football! It helps make this a more interesting Golden Gopher Football Board!

; 0 )

OK, I can see that the old-timers want to go back to the Memorial Stadium days. Nostalgia is fun.

This is NOT Memorial Stadium, and what the band does now is great. A show in front of the stadium, followed by the band splitting up and playing in the East Bank tailgate lots.

No one said you couldn't post about it. Go ahead. But you will be made fun of and have the topic called stupid, because it is indeed very stupid and has been rehashed here dozens of times.

The biggest problem I see with the band marching down University is that they'd be marching away from the stadium.

Close off University and everyone knows that none of those darn streets are "one way" streets. As long as there is no traffic, you can go which ever direction you can make work. They could even do a "close order" revolving Block M in the middle of University...as long as they have the road shut down. The Student Section could even march to the stadium following the Band if the weather was beautiful, you could roll them out of bed and promised them something for free... ; 0 )

(Just kidding student section...when you show up...you are great! But, somebody was taking shots at we old timers who remember the BRICKHOUSE DAYS...)

Shut those stinking roads down and you can do anything you darn well please...

and, yes, I "M" the Walrus.

But everyone KNOWS that the walrus always will be wren!

; 0 )

OK, I can see that the old-timers want to go back to the Memorial Stadium days. Nostalgia is fun.

This is NOT Memorial Stadium, and what the band does now is great. A show in front of the stadium, followed by the band splitting up and playing in the East Bank tailgate lots.

For the 18 people that actually tailgate. Part of the problem is that the atmosphere around the stadium absolutely sucks due to a lack of tailgating.

For the 18 people that actually tailgate. Part of the problem is that the atmosphere around the stadium absolutely sucks due to a lack of tailgating.

Get your nose past the Maroon Lot and go over to Lots 37 or 33 across from Mariucci or the Ski U Mah Lot. By the time the band finishes in front of the stadium, those lots are going pretty good.

Get your nose past the Maroon Lot and go over to Lots 37 or 33 across from Mariucci or the Ski U Mah Lot. By the time the band finishes in front of the stadium, those lots are going pretty good.

Even with those lots it is still a lacking atmosphere for a Big Ten school directly surrounding the stadium. Opening up parking lots/yards to tailgating in the area would go a long way to increasing the atmosphere on gameday.

I think the case study the U should employ is De La Salle Highschool vs. Phyllis Kahn. Ms. Kahn holds sway beyond her district. She is one of those 99 year leasee's. How did they do it? Well one of the Minneapolis Park Board members was an Attorney and an Islander alum. The issue was whether park land ajacent to the School could be converted to a home football field. You had Phyllis and Minneapolis Historic Presevation League and the Mississippi River Conservation group lined up saying NO! I took years upon years. I think I can go back at 15 years of NO! But that one Attorney worked on the Park Board, built a follwing, sold his vision. And when the Park Board approved the De La Salle development, you could see the steam coming from Phyllis's ears. Now it wasn't over but the first chip in the wall was made. From there it was the City Council and on to the Appelate Court. But you doubters, you naysayers. The Field at De La Salle is open for games. And all the forecasts of ruining the neighborhood are silent.

If you think a 10 win season wouldn't bring out the backers, the attorneys, the insiders you don't know big time athlectics. And if The AD says he wants to find a way, it may go all the way to the appelate court but it could be done. The reason the neighborhoods feel embolden is we can field that 9-10 win team.

No one said you couldn't post about it. Go ahead. But you will be made fun of and have the topic called stupid, because it is indeed very stupid and has been rehashed here dozens of times.[/QUOTE

I don't understand making fun of anyone or calling anyone stupid. The quality of board exchanges would greatly benefit from more constructive and civil comments.

No one said you couldn't post about it. Go ahead. But you will be made fun of and have the topic called stupid, because it is indeed very stupid and has been rehashed here dozens of times.[/QUOTE

I don't understand making fun of anyone or calling anyone stupid. The quality of board exchanges would greatly benefit from more constructive and civil comments.

vagopher: when you are right: you are right!

Thanks for speaking up!

; 0 )

The key is what Mr. Diem wants. After talking to him about it, my impression is that he isn't too keen on marching down University Ave. Its way to convenient to grab the horns from TCF and out to the plaza rather than doing a mile or so round trip march.

Now, unless someone can convince Woody and/or other decision-makers that this will help generate a better game day atmosphere, it won't happen.

Bayfieldgopher said:
The key is what Mr. Diem wants. After talking to him about it, my impression is that he isn't too keen on marching down University Ave.

He didn't go through 4 years of Evil Medical school to be called "mister." ;)

The key is what Mr. Diem wants. After talking to him about it, my impression is that he isn't too keen on marching down University Ave. Its way to convenient to grab the horns from TCF and out to the plaza rather than doing a mile or so round trip march.

Now, unless someone can convince Woody and/or other decision-makers that this will help generate a better game day atmosphere, it won't happen.

Good morning Bayfield!

I find some of the attitudes of some of the people over at the U of M to be a part of the problem with returning the GAME DAY environment in and around the old STADIUM VILLAGE Area and on the EAST BANK Area. This Mr. Diem certainly is NO DR. BEN. He sounds as though this whole GAME DAY thing is just another part of his job that he really finds annoying and he really can't see why HE should be asked to go the extra distance or to have to "walk a mile in his shoes..." to help create a TRADITION that over the course of a lifetime season ticket holders, students, fans of all shape and variety will come to identify with as a part of University of Minnesota Football Game Day TRADITION.

If I remember correctly, you and your lovely bride journeyed to Lincoln. Did you see any of the pre-game traditions and experience some of the excitement of the fans of all ages there to be back on campus...gathering for a very special event that happens a few times every autumn. I was in the stadium, near the very top. I had a view of the Nebraska Band in the distance as they marched to the stadium...playing for masses of folks lining their route. Then I heard that Nebraska has had FIFTY years of sell outs in their stadium. The people arrive EARLY and STAY until the end. Folks I talked to were SO proud of their GAME DAY experience. They welcomed visitors and hoped that the visitors had a great experience too (just not on the scoreboard...)

Mr. Diem does not sound like a very good ambassador of the University of Minnesota.

It was just at the end of last season that our new norwood was talking about studying what COULD BE DONE to make GAME DAY EXPERIENCE better...to get the students to start attending the games and fill their own section.

Perhaps Mr. Diem needs to move back to the bowels of Northrup. Maybe he is too spoiled having space IN TCF BANK STADIUM.

Just a thought. Somehow, his response to you demonstrated a total disconnect that Mr. Diem has with taking pride in GAME DAY SATURDAY at the U of M and in my mind, that kind of attitude is NOT an attitude that displays his pride in his position at the U OR his pride in what the people of Minnesota experience when they make the effort to return to campus for Gopher Football Games.

I think our new norwood really needs to get busy FAST shaping up U of M officials, employees and people involved with GAME DAY SATURDAYS on the U of M campus... Just my initial response to hearing about Mr. Diem's response to you...I might be way off base, but, that was my reaction...

; 0 )

Until I see Teague change the attitude of the administration towards the fan experience at games, I will simply continue to believe there are more decision makers at the U who give only lip service to caring about athletics.
The U will NEVER compete on the same field marketingwise or popularitywise with the vikings. It's not gonna happen. Yet they continue with NFL lite on gamedays.

The obvious way to separate themselves from the pro sports teams would be to change the gameday experience to an organic truly "college" one. Involving the students and alumni and giving the campus over the saturday tradition of partying and making the football game THE ONLY place to be on campus.
They have a golden opportunity to grasp a niche market and hold tight for eternity,
make it a campuswide party, with very few strict rules, an emphasis on younger fans and more affordable tailgating, and a lassez faire attitude towards student revelry and you'll see what creative and fun atmospheres the students and the alumni can grow and build.
I won't hold my breath though.

I don't think those ripping Dr Diem here are doing so fairly based on one conversatio

or perspective. There budget the marching band, has been continually cut the last 4 years and it is all they can do to pay the staff that they do have. That and there uniform is crappy and old it is from 1994, and very little funding has come from the school of music to improve the music library (another complaint that appears here regularly).
No I'm not a former band member, I just know some alumni, and a couple of the staff members through a family member.
That guy Dr. Diem and his staff put in a ton of unrecognized work for very little pay, thankless hours and with a budget that consistently get's cut and reduced. Same goes for the kids that do it, they bust there a$$es with many hours of practice and preperation, and get very little recognition or appreciation from Minnesota fans who stand and BS and ignore the half time show. That and there is politics between administration in school of music and athletics on who should pay for what. If athletics would actually scrape together some dollars for what people want these things would be doable that people are asking for.
If athletics and Mr Teague's group would actually invest some real dollars into the marching band program for equipment, travel, or even some replacement uniforms, this current uniform design is from 1994, and to make the football home game experience better, some of you complaining about them and the staff here, there facillity's use and presence would have some perspective and maybe see some of what you want. The kids and the staff put in a ton of hours, for people's enjoyment for little more than the value of pride and the satisfaction of providing entertainment and the experience of it all. Very few people stay after a game and watch them the band play. I have a ton of respect for how hard they work, on a couple of occassions last year I stayed after losses and watched them, they sound really great when there unhinged and not in that stupid concrete pit.
The musicians the University continues to put on the field are of really good quality, if you venture outside of the Minnesota campus and to other Big10 programs you would realize how much better our band sounds and projects outside of the stadium than most of the groups in the Big10. Michigan and Purdue's quality is laughable compared to the Gophers and Wisconsin all I can here is dunts and dunts because they play there crappy school song so often.
They the Minnesota band are truly an asset that is underappreciated and underutilized.
Nebraska's band cannot hold a candle to our group of Minnesota musicians in quality of sound and how well they play. There current set up of playing near the stadium is similar to the Metrodome and the small groups play for the tailgaters so I don't know how much more people want. These kids and staff already put in long hours throughout the week and during game day Saturday. Could the location be better around the stadium yes, but that is up to the Stadium staff and administration.

Finally, everyone needs to let go of the the University avenue march and the nostalgia from it, with it being the only street in or out from the west with the central light rail line it's not happening. That and the band is not housed in Northrup anymore they are based out of the stadium so it makes no sense to bus or walk them back tho Northrup. Everyone want's better game day atmosphere but nobody want's to help pay for it to be better.

I didn't call anyone stupid. I called the topic stupid, which it unquestionably is.

To me a big problem with the disconnect between the marching band and the gameday atmosphere that the Athletic Dept is trying to build is that the Marching Band is controlled by the School of Music. A move that would be big time for the band and the overall gameday package would be to move the budgeting, administration, etc of the band under the umbrella of the AD similar to the cheer squad and Goldy. Facts are the Athletic Dept will have more money to potentially improve the band than the SOM ever will because marching band is a low priority for the SOM.

To me a big problem with the disconnect between the marching band and the gameday atmosphere that the Athletic Dept is trying to build is that the Marching Band is controlled by the School of Music. A move that would be big time for the band and the overall gameday package would be to move the budgeting, administration, etc of the band under the umbrella of the AD similar to the cheer squad and Goldy. Facts are the Athletic Dept will have more money to potentially improve the band than the SOM ever will because marching band is a low priority for the SOM.

As long as it is the Marching Band we are talking about, I think they are more connected to the athletic department and all the football, basketball, hockey events. I think you make a very valid point and I fully support the athletic department AND the outreach efforts of the U of M to more fully fund the Marching Band. Probably taking the MB out from under the control of the School of Music would be a fantastic plan.

Also, I could see a point to explore by considering the Marching Band...and Goldy Gopher...to be considered a part of the first line of University of Minnesota OUTREACH , ADVERTISING and PUBLIC RELATIONS efforts. When I attend the State Fair and the U of M Marching Band puts in an appearance, I think of ALL THINGS University of Minnesota. And, may I add, the U of M Marching Band is ALWAYS a great ambassador for the University of Minnesota. I don't think I have EVER seen them have a "bad day". They always seem to "inspire" and energize any crowd they play and march for.

I don't know if the School of Music would be too excited to give them up...because I don't really know too much about the rest of the SOM at the U...only the Marching Band.

So Maybe prexy k should find some of the funds that he found for a retired athletic director's pay-off and golden parachute and instead fund more of the expenses of the Marching Band to get them out and about advertising & representing the U of M, AND the athletic department should also kick in some funding to ensure a larger role in the creation of Game Day Saturday with a tiny bit more commitment from the administrators of the Marching Band for the celebrations of the return to campus in the autumn by alumni, perspective students and friends of the University of Minnesota.

I didn't call anyone stupid. I called the topic stupid, which it unquestionably is.

For reasons stated by the OP and the opinions of others, no it is not an 'unquestionably' stupid topic.

So man ways to have the band do it, so many petty or insignificant obstacles. Cars driving? Change traffic in to campus to 4th St with a couple cones on each end and a cop (who are already on duty). Or, stop promoting and allowing cars to be the primary mode of transport and encourage transit (another topic, which the U won't likely do anyway as parking is a revenue for them whereas biking/walking/transit is not). Band walking over and marching back too far? Get over it. Don't march around the whole stadium, march right in to the band area to do pregame. Neighborhood throwing a hissy fit? Ask them how something like this makes any change to their 7 Saturdays a year compared to cars driving down the street for the same time period. I could go on for every point. There's an answer to each problem but clearly no one at the U is interested in fulfilling something that they strongly marketed and would bring back a sense of nostalgia and gameday tradition to our campus. That's the biggest barrier and unless people continue to harp on it (here to come up with ideas and also to the U leadership), it won't happen.

Top Bottom