Clemson transfer -DT Nyles Pinckney

Pinckney and Val Martin are going to do wonders for helping stop the run next year. With those two plus D'Angelo Carer, DT is in good hands. I'm really hoping that Abilene Christian guy turns out to be good. We got beat down the middle so much last year that DT, LB, S play is going to be paramount. I'd like to see a transfer addition who can start in place of Nubin.

Pinckney and Val Martin are going to do wonders for helping stop the run next year. With those two plus D'Angelo Carer, DT is in good hands. I'm really hoping that Abilene Christian guy turns out to be good. We got beat down the middle so much last year that DT, LB, S play is going to be paramount. I'd like to see a transfer addition who can start in place of Nubin.
Improving our run stopping ability was my first thought when I saw this transfer. Many of our opponents like to establish the run and we really struggled this season. Go Gophers !

From my friend who writes for ESPN and has covered Clemson in depth for years:

"He's good. Good dude. Strong leader. Potential impact player. He's gotten a lot of snaps last couple years but Clemson has a pair of 5 star DTs so he wasn't gonna start there."
And he only has one year left, and wants to try to make an impact somewhere with that year. Nice get! (y)

I agree safety is the biggest concern. Really have to hope Nubin develops well with a full offseason and spring ball. Would love to see us get someone, but not sure how many more spots we have
Question: was Nubin moved to safety right away when he got to campus in 2019? It says he was recruited at corner, but obviously we had a need and converted him.

I just wonder if the conversion was too much to ask for him? Not that corners don't hit people in stopping the run, of course. But as a SS, you're like a combination of a centerfielder + a linebacker who has to come up and smash people more often, I think.

Maybe you're right about just need more time to develop? Particularly if they moved him after the 2019 season was over (I have no idea)? Then he never really got a fair chance to develop into the position.

And of course, impossible shoes to fill.

Question: was Nubin moved to safety right away when he got to campus in 2019? It says he was recruited at corner, but obviously we had a need and converted him.

I just wonder if the conversion was too much to ask for him? Not that corners don't hit people in stopping the run, of course. But as a SS, you're like a combination of a centerfielder + a linebacker who has to come up and smash people more often, I think.

Maybe you're right about just need more time to develop? Particularly if they moved him after the 2019 season was over (I have no idea)? Then he never really got a fair chance to develop into the position.

And of course, impossible shoes to fill.
Pretty sure he was always viewed as a safety.

Nubin will be fine. Keep running him out there.

I'm hoping that with a more solid pass rush, the secondary won't have to be covering for long periods of time on a particular play. Winfield spoiled us.

Wholly guacamole Gophers Defense! Pick me a Pinckney.

Like it or not, the Gophers have been a benefactor to transfers under PJ Fleck. They get their 4-Stars or experience other ways if they can't get a HS recruit. Kudos to the GOphers.

It is a good sign that quality players are looking at the Gophers as a transfer landing spot. It is a testament to the way the program is run.

Like it or not, the Gophers have been a benefactor to transfers under PJ Fleck. They get their 4-Stars or experience other ways if they can't get a HS recruit. Kudos to the GOphers.

It is a good sign that quality players are looking at the Gophers as a transfer landing spot. It is a testament to the way the program is run.
I would attribute it to more of we had a poor defense, someone didn't like the position they were in at their current school and found a place that they could play and the new transfer rules. More so than the way the program is run.
Love the pick up and think he will be a great contributor here.

Agree. Fleck is clearly not a fan of going the JC route. But he has done really well with transfers. Excited to see what this new crop can do. If nothing else the defense got a lot more experienced. And I think theris a real chance these new guys could make big impacts next year.

So excited about this transfer. Headed to work at 6am this morning and left my phone home in the rush to get out the door. Cut off from news all day and this was the first thing I saw when I got back home. What a wonderful surprise. Thinking about leaving my phone home tomorrow as well. Hope to have another safety when I get home! 😂

I wonder if this is who that coach was hyped about getting before Christmas. Would seem like it.

PJ seems like a coach who will not bring in a bad cultural fit as well. Having guys who are high character and smart players will gelp our young athletes. Hopefulky this will helpnsolitify defense for years to come just by example and imlact.

Top Bottom