Clemson all-ACC cornerback Derion Kendrick no longer with Tigers

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Kendrick, a 6-foot, 190-pound senior from Rock Hill, South Carolina, was a highly talented player who last season had several discipline issues and did not play in three games.

After Kendrick didn't play in a win over Pittsburgh in November, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said: "Some people might say he's in the doghouse. I like to say he's in the love shack. Just a little discipline."

Kendrick started eight of the nine games he played in last season. He had 20 tackles and led the team with six pass breakups. He also had a 66-yard fumble recovery touchdown in a victory over Virginia Tech last December.

Kendrick was named a first-team all-ACC cornerback.

Clemson began spring workouts Wednesday. Kendrick becomes the second defensive starter gone from last year's group, which finished 15th nationally with 326 yards allowed per game.

So I wonder...

I know that the phrase "several discipline issues" raises red flags. But what if it is actually a Dabo vs the player personality conflict, and nothing more than that? I mean, he's apparently a senior. He has stuck it out for quite a few years, at this point.

Obviously, I'm speculating freely here, but might our other Clemson transfer recruit this player to wear maroon and gold?

So I wonder...

I know that the phrase "several discipline issues" raises red flags. But what if it is actually a Dabo vs the player personality conflict, and nothing more than that? I mean, he's apparently a senior. He has stuck it out for quite a few years, at this point.

Obviously, I'm speculating freely here, but might our other Clemson transfer recruit this player to wear maroon and gold?
Dabo seems like the kind of coach that might let some serious transgressions go by in the name of winning some games....but who knows.

Dabo seems like the kind of coach that might let some serious transgressions go by in the name of winning some games....but who knows.

I agree. But I sometimes wonder if the ultra-driven, alpha, Type A to the extreme coach (like Swinney) might not wear really thin on a certain type of player, over time. I guess I'm wondering if it might be nothing more than the player grating on the coach's nerves, and vice-versa?

I may be weaving a bit of a fantasy here, trying to get an All-ACC cornerback on the Gopher's roster.

I think most are like that at the top.

Does anyone have any inside information on why Pinckney transferred from Clemson to the U?

So I wonder...

I think Dabo is kinda a duck...but he seems to get along with his players so I don't expect it is a personality conflict.

One thing we can say with certainty was that he was not in the pickle.
I bet he played some baseball as kid and liked to get in the pickle just to show off the moves.

Does anyone have any inside information on why Pinckney transferred from Clemson to the U?
I don't profess to know, but I remember reading that he lost playing time this year and was in line for another reduction next year because of how well they've recruited. Shockingly, Clemson is stacked at DT.

I thought he wanted to take a stab at helping beat tOSU.

Saying you put a player on the Love Shack might be against many laws.

Going to go out on a limb and say this kid will not be the first Gopher 5 star.

And the further south you go?

I don't think there is much difference between the coaches in terms of north and south. The people sure, but I don't think Urban was any more or less Type A when he was at Florida than he was at the Ohio State.

That is the type of personality in just about every super successful person I've ever met. I don't know about the Alpha stuff but the type A, hyper detailed, etc.

I don't think there is much difference between the coaches in terms of north and south. The people sure, but I don't think Urban was any more or less Type A when he was at Florida than he was at the Ohio State.

That is the type of personality in just about every super successful person I've ever met. I don't know about the Alpha stuff but the type A, hyper detailed, etc.
I was insinuating the southern schools are more likely to cheat....

I was insinuating the southern schools are more likely to cheat....

Oh gotcha.

Yeah, it makes me curious about Notre Dame and Ohio State in regards to cheating. Hell, Michigan too. They still recruit really well.

Oh gotcha.

Yeah, it makes me curious about Notre Dame and Ohio State in regards to cheating. Hell, Michigan too. They still recruit really well.
I'm sure it happens everywhere but maybe more common in the south?

I'm sure it happens everywhere but maybe more common in the south?

Oh for sure.

I am just curious if it's possible to win, at really high levels, in the NCAA without cheating.

Oh for sure.

I am just curious if it's possible to win, at really high levels, in the NCAA without cheating.

An astute question for which there is no definitive answer. Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, did they cheat? Lou Saban, Urban Myers, Dabo Swinney, did they cheat? When there is sustained success do we become skeptical of success? My belief is that there are those individuals who are really good at what they do and somehow operate outside the laws of physics. What say you Bob?

An astute question for which there is no definitive answer. Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, did they cheat? Lou Saban, Urban Myers, Dabo Swinney, did they cheat? When there is sustained success do we become skeptical of success? My belief is that there are those individuals who are really good at what they do and somehow operate outside the laws of physics. What say you Bob?
There is also a luck factor. Not necessarily sustained luck during a great run of success, but at least luck in being born into the right situation and/or happening to make the right decision or pick early on in your career path.

What We Know
According to sources, Clemson has a set of player standards and team rules that are rather unorthodox in college football. One source Dawgs Daily spoke to said Clemson "has rules that aren't viable for football in this decade." Another stated that these "discipline issues" were unique at Clemson and that at 99.9 percent of programs in college football, they wouldn't be a major problem.

However, the counterargument is that Clemson is one of two powerhouses in college football, and if a player can't fall in line there, then they must be a "problem."

Either way, head coach Dabo Swinney and the Clemson program are not only asking an All-ACC corner to leave, they are carrying his bags on the way out.

Hmm ... wonder how analogous these "rules" and expectations are ... to the previous culture at Iowa? :unsure:

"One source Dawgs Daily spoke to said Clemson "has rules that aren't viable for football in this decade." Another stated that these "discipline issues" were unique at Clemson and that at 99.9 percent of programs in college football, they wouldn't be a major problem."

My first three thoughts were:

1) Weed?
2) Social media issue?
3) Some type of religion-related dispute?

Dabo is pretty devoutly protestant Christian, isn't he?

Not a huge surprise considering that Dabo is the type who if he disagrees with someone that: Some of them need to move to another country.

I doubt he can handle much that happens that he doesn't like. Really I suspect a lot of coach's who live and work football 24/7 live in pretty insulated worlds where their world is more often than not law, and it skews things.

It's always a weird world where coaches try to instill discipline and values, but it's super easy to go to far and land in just being an autocratic asshole when you make all the decisions.

Dabo is pretty devoutly protestant Christian, isn't he?

Probably.

I find that the least likely of the three, though. A coach would be setting himself up for a real shitstorm if he had some type of religious requirements for the team. So, I doubt it.

Top Bottom