Class of 2014 Offer

Blake Banham, 5’8 160, DB, Cretin-Derham Hall – 2011 All-Pioneer Press. All-Conference HM.

He's the younger brother of Cole and Rachel Banham. Cole is a walk on RB for the U (he was scout team player of the year last year) and Rachel Banham is on the girls basketball team.

Is that Nate Triplett's little brother from Delano? I am sure its at least a relative.

Is that Nate Triplett's little brother from Delano? I am sure its at least a relative.

Yep, it is Nate's brother. He is a really big and physical kid. Bigger than Nate at this age and he is an aggressive kid too.

He's the younger brother of Cole and Rachel Banham. Cole is a walk on RB for the U (he was scout team player of the year last year) and Rachel Banham is on the girls basketball team.

Big Ten freshman of the year.! :clap:

And Rachel was just named B1G freshman of the year for women's roundball. oops, Nate beat me to it.

I was nicknamed "Buzz" when I was 1 year old. I will have to remember to chastise my parents since I hadn't really done anything to earn that nickname yet. I didn't even have a buzzcut and I didn't make buzzing noises!

When paired with the ridiculously overproduced hype video and the similarity to Robert Griffin III's nickname, it's laughable. I should've made that clear in my initial post. I guess i'm the only that rolled their eyes when they saw that.

I don't understand what's the Kuato Live's problem with "RJ3". I heard about him because he was profiled by the University of Miami's version of the Gopher Hole. I guess there aren't a lot of Rival's video produced in Delvin, MN, but down here in Florida videos like that, at least with respect to production, are common place. He's not responsible for his nickname or the fact that Rivals wanted to interview him. Good kid, great grades, chess?! and impressive sophomore numbers. And according to the Gopher Hole's resident CDH expert, sophomores don't play up at CDH, so he played well where he could. I wish him luck and I hope the Gopher's can sign him. I pray to God Miami doesn't steal another one of Mn's players because I'll never hear the end of it.

I don't understand what's the Kuato Live's problem with "RJ3". I heard about him because he was profiled by the University of Miami's version of the Gopher Hole. I guess there aren't a lot of Rival's video produced in Delvin, MN, but down here in Florida videos like that, at least with respect to production, are common place. He's not responsible for his nickname or the fact that Rivals wanted to interview him. Good kid, great grades, chess?! and impressive sophomore numbers. And according to the Gopher Hole's resident CDH expert, sophomores don't play up at CDH, so he played well where he could. I wish him luck and I hope the Gopher's can sign him. I pray to God Miami doesn't steal another one of Mn's players because I'll never hear the end of it.

Who did Miami steal? We cooled on Seantrel after hearing his Dad rap.

I don't have a problem with the kid personally. My issue is with the bootleg RG3 nickname and the overproduced highlight video that was not Rivals video but instead a product of the IBN Sports Network. Too me it's a little too much for a 10th grader that has accomplished nothing at the varsity level and has latched onto an alternative to a popular nickname (His doing or not it's still hilariously cheesy). Whatever, it's really not that big of a deal but apparently to the people who replied in this thread it's damn near sacrilegious. For what it's worth I hope he develops into a legit D1 athlete and commits to the U.

I don't have a problem with the kid personally. My issue is with the bootleg RG3 nickname and the overproduced highlight video that was not Rivals video but instead a product of the IBN Sports Network. Too me it's a little too much for a 10th grader that has accomplished nothing at the varsity level and has latched onto an alternative to a popular nickname (His doing or not it's still hilariously cheesy). Whatever, it's really not that big of a deal but apparently to the people who replied in this thread it's damn near sacrilegious. For what it's worth I hope he develops into a legit D1 athlete and commits to the U.
Well, dpod said "RJ3" before I had even heard of who RG3 is, but that's just me.

Well, dpod said "RJ3" before I had even heard of who RG3 is, but that's just me.

The kid has been called RJ3 since before I knew who RG3 was too. They didn't latch onto the nickname, anymore than a young RG3 latched onto the nickname (MB3) before he made it.

It's not an alternative to a popular nickname, it's his initials. If he latched onto anything, it would be to copy MB3, as I am pretty sure the Johnson family is close with Pride and Barber families (I could be wrong, but I thought I heard that).

As far as the tapes, Kuato probably does have a point. It's a bit over the top to be breaking down a kid's JV stats from a highlight tape. I don't blame anyone for thinking "lets pump the breaks" with this kid when he hasn't started a game yet. I think a year from now, people will be talking less about his tapes and his initials and more about him being a good player (he'll probably still split time with Conor Rhoda, especially early in the year). But until then, I think it's fair to say that his tapes are a bit over the top.

bob- thanks for clearing up the crushing crisis over whether RJ3 really has earned a nickname. Actually thanks for defending the kid. Taking shots in public at 15 year olds would seem to be best reserved for actual serious problems, and possibly would be even better when the critic is correct.
By the way, I thought players could not receive written offers until August of their junior year? If anyone knows the rule and how it applies in football recruiting, I would like to know.

Hopefully this doesn't reunite the old pissing contests, but Scout has a free article on Jeff Jones found here. Lot of interesting nuggets in it, seems like gophers will definitely have a real shot but it's still a long ways off.

Hopefully this doesn't reunite the old pissing contests, but Scout has a free article on Jeff Jones found here. Lot of interesting nuggets in it, seems like gophers will definitely have a real shot but it's still a long ways off.

He was really really happy to get the in-state school. He's a very loyal kid and that's why he's not at your Eden Prairies or your Wayzatas or Cretins or DeLaSalle for that matter. DeLaSalle and Eden Prairie and Holy Angels, they still contact him through, not the coaches themselves, but individuals associated with the program, and try to convince him that he's in a bad place and the grass is greener on the other side, and he's a loyal kid. He's a kid that always wanted to be a Miller. Both his siblings went to Washburn and he grew up wanting to be a Washburn Miller ever since he could remember, so there wasn't a lot of stuff I had to do to convince him or keep him around. I just had to let him know that I would go to bat for him and the rest has kind of been history."

That was interesting to say the least.

He was really really happy to get the in-state school. He's a very loyal kid and that's why he's not at your Eden Prairies or your Wayzatas or Cretins or DeLaSalle for that matter. DeLaSalle and Eden Prairie and Holy Angels, they still contact him through, not the coaches themselves, but individuals associated with the program, and try to convince him that he's in a bad place and the grass is greener on the other side, and he's a loyal kid. He's a kid that always wanted to be a Miller. Both his siblings went to Washburn and he grew up wanting to be a Washburn Miller ever since he could remember, so there wasn't a lot of stuff I had to do to convince him or keep him around. I just had to let him know that I would go to bat for him and the rest has kind of been history."

That was interesting to say the least.

To be honest, it's kind of what i've always said about Cretin and their "recruiting". It certainly happens, but the vast majority of it comes from outside of the coaching staff or anyone who is directly part of the football program. It comes from players parents, alumni, etc. All of these kinds of programs have a certain draw (which recruits for them) and then the people start talking from everywhere. If you're a really good football player in 6th grade, you'll start to hear people talking about Cretin.

To be honest, it's kind of what i've always said about Cretin and their "recruiting". It certainly happens, but the vast majority of it comes from outside of the coaching staff or anyone who is directly part of the football program. It comes from players parents, alumni, etc. All of these kinds of programs have a certain draw (which recruits for them) and then the people start talking from everywhere. If you're a really good football player in 6th grade, you'll start to hear people talking about Cretin.

I do know for a fact that there is one metro area coach who personally called a player to get him to transfer. I'll give you a hint...K Novak......oh....that might be too obvious...let's call him Ken N.

But that is the exception.

I do know for a fact that there is one metro area coach who personally called a player to get him to transfer. I'll give you a hint...K Novak......oh....that might be too obvious...let's call him Ken N.

But that is the exception.

Yeah, I imagine it does happen that way too. I just think there is a large amount of "recruiting" done by those kinds of programs that does not entail coach involvement.

I've heard a lot of rumors about the mysterious Mr. N, and he sounds a tad bit slimy.

Bob, I read this yesterday:

http://elitescoutingservices.com/20...o-johnson-iii-cretin-derham-qb-class-of-2014/

I had Easter breakfast with my In-laws who said that FSU is interested in him, but I think this photo was taken at Nugurski. This kid keeps popping up in Florida media. This Elite Scouting Services contracts with Miami, Florida and FSU among others to identify prospects. They rarely publish outstate kids. Can you go to your "sources" and get an update of this kid? I might be losing my mind, but this pic looks like it was taken in Mn. Thanks

Bob, I read this yesterday:

http://elitescoutingservices.com/20...o-johnson-iii-cretin-derham-qb-class-of-2014/

I had Easter breakfast with my In-laws who said that FSU is interested in him, but I think this photo was taken at Nugurski. This kid keeps popping up in Florida media. This Elite Scouting Services contracts with Miami, Florida and FSU among others to identify prospects. They rarely publish outstate kids. Can you go to your "sources" and get an update of this kid? I might be losing my mind, but this pic looks like it was taken in Mn. Thanks

I don't really have any sources, I have some friends who are coaches and I am close to the program. But I never get a nugget like "hey, off the record....blah blah blah".

As far as that picture, I am pretty certain that was taken while he was watching MN spring practices.

From everything I've heard about him, everyone is impressed with him. He still doesn't have great size and he'll still split time at QB next season (at best), Connor Rhoda (last year's starter) is returning and while Rhoda is not the talent that Johnson is, Rhoda is a tough kid, a leader and a hard guy to take out of a starting lineup. So, I think Johnson will play quite a bit next year, but I expect to see a lot of Rhoda.

I wouldn't expect to see much from him until next fall.

I will start this off by admitting I have never seen "RJ3" play, but I do have a relative who plays for CDH, and from everything I have heard, this is a completely player manufactured recruiting process. Rhoda will be the starting QB this year, he was the JV starter as a sophomore, and took over on the varsity after a couple games as a junior. "RJ3" did not even get asked to play JV as a sophomore. And to those that said he played DB for CDH as a sophomore, that is simply not true.. I attended nearly every game last year and he never once played DB. I have seen quotes from "RJ3" stating he threw 27 td's and 2 interceptions as a sophomore on JV.. thats simply not true.

Funny side story, because he calls himself "RJ3" he wanted to wear #3 on the varsity (all sophomore qb's suit up for varsity games), so his dad tried to purchase the #3 jersey for him on the side. The coaches found out about this, and took it away from him. No lie, he wore a fake #3 jersey on the sideline for every game. Fake as in, he wore a Minnesota vikings purple jersey with the #3 on it, it was not a CDH jersey.

I think its really amazing how having your dad contact some recruiting experts and "spread the word" can lead to this. Now I certainly may be wrong about him, but those are my 2 cents

I will start this off by admitting I have never seen "RJ3" play, but I do have a relative who plays for CDH, and from everything I have heard, this is a completely player manufactured recruiting process. Rhoda will be the starting QB this year, he was the JV starter as a sophomore, and took over on the varsity after a couple games as a junior. "RJ3" did not even get asked to play JV as a sophomore. And to those that said he played DB for CDH as a sophomore, that is simply not true.. I attended nearly every game last year and he never once played DB. I have seen quotes from "RJ3" stating he threw 27 td's and 2 interceptions as a sophomore on JV.. thats simply not true.

Funny side story, because he calls himself "RJ3" he wanted to wear #3 on the varsity (all sophomore qb's suit up for varsity games), so his dad tried to purchase the #3 jersey for him on the side. The coaches found out about this, and took it away from him. No lie, he wore a fake #3 jersey on the sideline for every game. Fake as in, he wore a Minnesota vikings purple jersey with the #3 on it, it was not a CDH jersey.

I think its really amazing how having your dad contact some recruiting experts and "spread the word" can lead to this. Now I certainly may be wrong about him, but those are my 2 cents

Well, Norm Chow appears to have fallen for the "hype" (http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Ricardo-JohnsonIII-122163;_ylt=Auyxi6LCkkG4hiFyFPfeR9XUspB4).

"St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin-Derham Hall sophomore quarterback Ricardo Johnson III has yet to start a varsity game in his high school career, but already the 6-2, 180-pound passer has a Division I scholarship offer."

RJ3 has grown 3 inches and gained 20lbs in the last month as well. He'll be 6'8'', 220lbs by Independence day, so we need to act now! C'mon Jerry ink this kid!

I don't know anything about the side stories about the kid, if his dad tried to purchase a jersey for him. I also really have a hard time believing that he was wearing a Vikings jersey on the sidelines, I guess it's possible, but that seems pretty far fetched.

First, you don't get asked to play JV as a Sophomore. You are either on their B Squad (10th grade team) or varsity. It would not be considered a step up at CDH to play JV rather than B-Squad. Every player who isn't playing a ton on varsity and is in 10th grade, plays on the 10th grade team. The reason for this is actually pretty simple. . .the JV is more designed for the older kids who aren't playing much. That is the games are played the day AFTER varsity games (Saturdays). It's not some special honor for a 10th grader to be "asked" to play JV. I don't think the quotes about his stats were pure lies as much as they were people who just don't understand the difference between JV and B Squad. He put up those stats on the 10th grade team (B Squad), which is probably a better team than the JV. (I have no idea about the accuracy of those stats).

Second, you're right though about Rhoda. He will be the starter next season and it will be really touch for RJ3 to pass Rhoda. Rhoda probably isn't a D1 level talent but he is a really good football player and he's simply not the kind of player that you'd pull out of your starting lineup.

Lastly, who knows about the kid. I've been to a lot of CDH games and I don't know much about him. I hear from some people, mostly it's through a friend of a friend type of stuff, that it's all hype. However, I've heard from coaches who have actually worked with him that he really is talented. I also can't believe Norm Chow would offer the kid without either seeing him or having someone he REALLY trusts see him play QB. That said, until he plays at the varsity level, it is all hype. The U can't even consider offering him until he has proven that he is a special talent and he proves that those talents can shine against some competition.

I don't know anything about the side stories about the kid, if his dad tried to purchase a jersey for him. I also really have a hard time believing that he was wearing a Vikings jersey on the sidelines, I guess it's possible, but that seems pretty far fetched.

First, you don't get asked to play JV as a Sophomore. You are either on their B Squad (10th grade team) or varsity. It would not be considered a step up at CDH to play JV rather than B-Squad. Every player who isn't playing a ton on varsity and is in 10th grade, plays on the 10th grade team. The reason for this is actually pretty simple. . .the JV is more designed for the older kids who aren't playing much. That is the games are played the day AFTER varsity games (Saturdays). It's not some special honor for a 10th grader to be "asked" to play JV. I don't think the quotes about his stats were pure lies as much as they were people who just don't understand the difference between JV and B Squad. He put up those stats on the 10th grade team (B Squad), which is probably a better team than the JV. (I have no idea about the accuracy of those stats).

Second, you're right though about Rhoda. He will be the starter next season and it will be really touch for RJ3 to pass Rhoda. Rhoda probably isn't a D1 level talent but he is a really good football player and he's simply not the kind of player that you'd pull out of your starting lineup.

Lastly, who knows about the kid. I've been to a lot of CDH games and I don't know much about him. I hear from some people, mostly it's through a friend of a friend type of stuff, that it's all hype. However, I've heard from coaches who have actually worked with him that he really is talented. I also can't believe Norm Chow would offer the kid without either seeing him or having someone he REALLY trusts see him play QB. That said, until he plays at the varsity level, it is all hype. The U can't even consider offering him until he has proven that he is a special talent and he proves that those talents can shine against some competition.

For the "alternative jersey" point, it sounds extremely far fetched, but is 100% true. I went to multiple games where I had certain parents talking to themselves "why is that kid wearing a different jersey". It may not have been a Vikings jersey, it didn't have the Vikings logo... but it was not a CDH jersey, different shade of purple and was noticeably different from every other jersey.

Agree with you on JV vs B-squad, just wanted to point out that Rhoda did play JV as a sophomore, "RJ3" didn't. IMO, the coaches obviously view them a bit differently, whatever that may be.

And agree on your last paragraph is well. I want to make it clear, I have never seen him play and am no means trying to say he is talentless... just from everything I have heard/ read, etc this is ALL hype. The quotes out there are laughable and clearly show someone is driving/buying the recruiting hype "Joe Mauer and Chris Weinke have pegged as the next big thing at CDH QB", etc etc.

Agree with you on JV vs B-squad, just wanted to point out that Rhoda did play JV as a sophomore, "RJ3" didn't.

If true (I have no idea either way), wouldn't this mean that RJ3 as a soph viewed as a better prospect than Rhoda as a soph, correct?

Also, why do you insist on smart-assedly putting quotations around his initials? His name is Ricardo Johnson III. His initials are RJIII or, if you prefer, RJ3. It's not like it's fabricated out of whole cloth. If he wants that as a nickname, what's the harm? When I initial a document, do I have to put "DP" now?

When I initial a document, do I have to put "DP" now?

You most certainly could do that. But since you're an annoying, argumentative internet poster and not a potential top college recruit, nobody would give a damn either way.

You most certainly could do that. But since you're an annoying, argumentative internet poster and not a potential top college recruit, nobody would give a damn either way.

Duly noted. The next time I refinance, I will tell the attorney that I have to put "DP" instead of DP whenever I initial the document because Zeppelin Gopher from GopherHole told me so on May 16, 2012. Also, using one's own initials is apparently now pretentious and worth of scorn. From now on, they shall be "J.D." Salinger, "B.J." Armstrong, et al. Thanks!

I know both Rhoda and RJIII are both working hard during the off season to compete for the position. I did see RJIII at the U spring game and he has grown since the last time I saw him. I am guessing more around 6'0 than 6'2. Either way, CDH should be pretty solid in the passing game this season. Not sure who will emerge as a running back. The line should be OK but graduated 4 out of 5 lineman. Defense is always pretty tough.

Top Bottom