Claeys will be on Mike Max 830 tonight at 7:10pm

In a few years we'll all look back at this and realize how over the top dramatic some of you are being and how removing Claeys from the HC job was a good thing. Sure we had a 9-4 record with a very easy schedule, but how long term would that be when we have a Big Ten recruiting ranking of #14 and a more difficult schedule coming up in the next few years??

Not that outside opinions matter but I've been reading various message boards from around the Big Ten and most contributors are laughing at some of you for your defense of Claeys. NOT because of the boycott/allegations, but because you want to retain a coach that under performed and has us at # 14 in recruiting.

It's amazing.

Don't lose sight of the facts here. 6 months from now, Claeys will still be gone, Coyle will still be AD, and the football program will be moving on without some of you. Life goes on.

After the initial visceral response to Claeys being let go, I've since allowed some pragmatism to actually creep back in, and I actually share a lot of this sentiment. I don't think Claeys deserved to be fired, but frankly, he's fortunate to even have been hired. But Coyle, who was, not 6 months ago, considered by many to be a "homerun hire", can now put his money where his mouth is and ultimately the program may end up with a better coach. The administration can and has given a bunch of soft reasons for the firing, but to me, it's all window dressing and it's obvious this is just Coyle wanting to get his guy. As fatalist as many want to be in the wake of this, given all the positive things written and said about his competency upon his hiring, I don't think Coyle will have that hard of a time explaining away the Claeys fiasco to potential candidates. I could be wrong but unless there is a catastrophic hire, I will keep the gold colored glasses on.

Top Bottom