Claeys will be on Mike Max 830 tonight at 7:10pm

I thought Coach came across as very genuine and humble and can't really help but agree with everything he had to say.
This gentleman was railroaded by a predetermined agenda, and PC pressure.

The administration is truly in a sad state.

I support Claeys, but this isn't a pc issue

I also liked the statement about the next coach needing an ironclad contract if his job is based on fan emails. LOL, Coyle is a putz.

I support Claeys, but this isn't a pc issue

Meant PC, as in the politically correct crowd interpreting Coach's tweet as pro sexual assault, pro rape, anti woman and all the other crap that was and is being spouted, and how the staff was not in control.... Those interpretations were off target and were a factor.

I did not listen to the coach tonite, but I did listen to Coyle Last night. My bs meter was off the chart every time Coyle said he "lives in the truth". It is my own default but tell me more than once that you are being honest and the bs meter starts singing. Coyle wanted his own guy but did not have the sack to say it.

I appreciate Coach Clayes for putting up the best Gopher defense I remember and for his humility. A bit clumsy but a real man. Great job Coach!

Listening to that just pis$ed me off even more. Claeys is such a decent guy -- as were all the coaches, as far as I know -- and they had apparently been strung along for weeks now thinking they'd be back next year. At least once, Coyle publicly backed the coach.

Claeys stated tonight he would've handled it professionally and understood had Coyle simply fired him and said something like, 'Change of philosophy...change of direction...change of vision...etc.' But he decided not to do that. He instead goes in front of the press and throws out terms like "Do it the right way" and "Live in truth" etc.

This was bungled about as badly as is humanly possible.

Listening to that just pis$ed me off even more. Claeys is such a decent guy -- as were all the coaches, as far as I know -- and they had apparently been strung along for weeks now thinking they'd be back next year. At least once, Coyle publicly backed the coach.

Claeys stated tonight he would've handled it professionally and understood had Coyle simply fired him and said something like, 'Change of philosophy...change of direction...change of vision...etc.' But he decided not to do that. He instead goes in front of the press and throws out terms like "Do it the right way" and "Live in truth" etc.

This was bungled about as badly as is humanly possible.

Coyle: Disingenuous

Claeys: Genuine

It is my own default but tell me more than once that you are being honest and the bs meter starts singing.

A great default to have. I am the same way and it serves me well 99.9% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't expect Claeys to take any high road as he doesn't seem to have the maturity to do such a thing.

Has the boycott and investigation been handled appropriately? Absolutely not, but I like how Coyle is attempting to clean up the issues within the athletic department. Inmates have been running the asylum for far too long with issues surrounding the basketball team, football team, wrestling team, etc. Coyle is displaying the overall leadership this athletic department has been sorely missing. There's a new sheriff in town and if you're a coach who can't control your players with discipline, then Coyle is showing that you won't be a coach at this university for long.

It's nice to finally have someone who cares about the reputation of this fine university.

I agree. When you look at the wrestling, basketball, and fb teams and compare it to the Hockey teams and women's hoops there's quite a distinction.

Meant PC, as in the politically correct crowd interpreting Coach's tweet as pro sexual assault, pro rape, anti woman and all the other crap that was and is being spouted, and how the staff was not in control.... Those interpretations were off target and were a factor.

I'm aware of what you meant

Listened to the interview. Coach Claeys could not have been classier. Good speed Coach Claeys!

Basically he is calling BS on some of the reasons Coyle outlined in the presser last night. Is confident he was fired for tweet/boycott/Coyle wanting his own guy. Says he is OK with all that, just didn't appreciate the presser and implications MC said on how they did things. Similar to what Kill has said, only much more matter of fact.

Fair

I agree. When you look at the wrestling, basketball, and fb teams and compare it to the Hockey teams and women's hoops there's quite a distinction.

And when you look at it that way, the first 2 coaches that I would fire immediately are the Men's Hockey Coach and the Women's Basketball Coach. Both have severely under performed.

I listened and thought Claeys came off well, too bad he didn't do more talking when this thing was in full crisis mode. He's a genuine guy, I think he could have defused this better if he talked more.

Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post

It is my own default but tell me more than once that you are being honest and the bs meter starts singing.

A great default to have. I am the same way and it serves me well 99.9% of the time.

Interestingly, I have attended a seminar presentation (more than one time) held by an FBI interrogator on interviewing techniques and interpreting statements. Including non verbal and vocal behavior. Overplaying the honesty card, swearing to a God, indicating church habits, is often an indicator of the opposite. It is an interesting science.

Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post

Interestingly, I have attended a seminar presentation (more than one time) held by an FBI interrogator on interviewing techniques and interpreting statements. Including non verbal and vocal behavior. Overplaying the honesty card, swearing to a God, indicating church habits, is often an indicator of the opposite. It is an interesting science.

I agree, It is an interesting science. I imagine Coyle spends a lot of time in church.

Here is the e-mail I am considering sending to Coyle. Should I send it? (Not that I expect he'll read it)

Dear Mr. Coyle,

Your press conference comments about how the U needs to aspire to greatness really resonated with me. I have been passionate about Gopher football because of my mom, who used to chart the games of the Bernie Bierman teams while listening to them on the radio. Since her death, following Gopher football has been a great way for me to remember her. I’ve been hoping for years for the U to get close to the level of when she was young.

You are right, this university athletic program needs leadership and it cannot continue to accept mediocrity. With that in mind, the most effective act you can undertake is to resign. In firing Claeys, you have punished the only person in this whole episode who showed what true leadership is--the strength of character to be true to your principles regardless of the cost. I get that this has been a difficult situation for you; it is such situations that define whether or not a person can be a leader. Your handling of the situation is probably no worse than many. We have become used to reflexive, self-serving arrogance, and self-righteous spin among administrators, and have sort of come to expect it. But, as you said, we do not aspire to such mediocrity. We are a great university in a great city, and we can do better. We deserve better. Please carry out your plan and resign and thereby remove the greatest of the obstacles that now stand in the way of greatness for U of M athletics.

Until that happens, I cannot waste another moment supporting U of M football. Since I love the Gophers, I will transfer my allegiance to the Gopher basketball team, in hopes that in their quest for greatness they can avoid being destroyed by your administration.

I wouldn't expect Claeys to take any high road as he doesn't seem to have the maturity to do such a thing.

Has the boycott and investigation been handled appropriately? Absolutely not, but I like how Coyle is attempting to clean up the issues within the athletic department. Inmates have been running the asylum for far too long with issues surrounding the basketball team, football team, wrestling team, etc. Coyle is displaying the overall leadership this athletic department has been sorely missing. There's a new sheriff in town and if you're a coach who can't control your players with discipline, then Coyle is showing that you won't be a coach at this university for long.

It's nice to finally have someone who cares about the reputation of this fine university.

B.S.

It appears you were wrong.

Here is the e-mail I am considering sending to Coyle. Should I send it? (Not that I expect he'll read it)

Dear Mr. Coyle,

Your press conference comments about how the U needs to aspire to greatness really resonated with me. I have been passionate about Gopher football because of my mom, who used to chart the games of the Bernie Bierman teams while listening to them on the radio. Since her death, following Gopher football has been a great way for me to remember her. I’ve been hoping for years for the U to get close to the level of when she was young.

You are right, this university athletic program needs leadership and it cannot continue to accept mediocrity. With that in mind, the most effective act you can undertake is to resign. In firing Claeys, you have punished the only person in this whole episode who showed what true leadership is--the strength of character to be true to your principles regardless of the cost. I get that this has been a difficult situation for you; it is such situations that define whether or not a person can be a leader. Your handling of the situation is probably no worse than many. We have become used to reflexive, self-serving arrogance, and self-righteous spin among administrators, and have sort of come to expect it. But, as you said, we do not aspire to such mediocrity. We are a great university in a great city, and we can do better. We deserve better. Please carry out your plan and resign and thereby remove the greatest of the obstacles that now stand in the way of greatness for U of M athletics.

Until that happens, I cannot waste another moment supporting U of M football. Since I love the Gophers, I will transfer my allegiance to the Gopher basketball team, in hopes that in their quest for greatness they can avoid being destroyed by your administration.

Send it. Twice. Cc kahler

In a few years we'll all look back at this and realize how over the top dramatic some of you are being and how removing Claeys from the HC job was a good thing. Sure we had a 9-4 record with a very easy schedule, but how long term would that be when we have a Big Ten recruiting ranking of #14 and a more difficult schedule coming up in the next few years??

Not that outside opinions matter but I've been reading various message boards from around the Big Ten and most contributors are laughing at some of you for your defense of Claeys. NOT because of the boycott/allegations, but because you want to retain a coach that under performed and has us at # 14 in recruiting.

It's amazing.

Don't lose sight of the facts here. 6 months from now, Claeys will still be gone, Coyle will still be AD, and the football program will be moving on without some of you. Life goes on.

In a few years we'll all look back at this and realize how over the top dramatic some of you are being and how removing Claeys from the HC job was a good thing. Sure we had a 9-4 record with a very easy schedule, but how long term would that be when we have a Big Ten recruiting ranking of #14 and a more difficult schedule coming up in the next few years??

Not that outside opinions matter but I've been reading various message boards from around the Big Ten and most contributors are laughing at some of you for your defense of Claeys. NOT because of the boycott/allegations, but because you want to retain a coach that under performed and has us at # 14 in recruiting.

It's amazing.

Don't lose sight of the facts here. 6 months from now, Claeys will still be gone, Coyle will still be AD, and the football program will be moving on without some of you. Life goes on.
Firing a coach because of recruiting rankings would be the stupidity equivalent of Leidner going out and buying a multi million dollar home right now because an "expert" said he could be a 1st round pick.

Just what has the women's basketball achieved recently , considering how many high WNBA picks they have had ?

In a few years we'll all look back at this and realize how over the top dramatic some of you are being and how removing Claeys from the HC job was a good thing. Sure we had a 9

I am no Tracy Claeys defender. I did not think he was the right choice as coach but lets look at how he got here.

1. Previous AD hires Brewster who nauseated everyone from the beginning (hot air, no experience). This AD "retired" got forced out whatever because he sucked
2. Kill is hired by above AD, has a series of health issues and then resigns due to health issues
3. Claeys is hired on an interim basis and then full time because they hired a drunken socio-path as the AD (Teague). Fire him and make Beth Goetz interim AD
4. Coyle is hired is hired and does not have the guts and intestinal fortitude to just admit "he is not my guy". So he takes shots at the Kill / Claeys era and uses this as an excuse.

What people are laughing at is the culture here not the coaching culture the administration culture. Its why I have not set foot on campus (except for my daughters graduation from HS) in 10 years. If Coyle just comes out and says "I am replacing Claeys as the head coach as he is not what I think this University needs" and buys out the contract. The optics on this are totally different. We are the laughing stock of college football because we do not run this program like a real program. Quite frankly, this administration and previous ones listen to Public sentiment more than any other University I have lived near. This includes UF, FSU, Texas, OU and Oklahoma State.

This is a rinky-dink operation compared to those operations.

Firing a coach because of recruiting rankings would be the stupidity equivalent of Leidner going out and buying a multi million dollar home right now because an "expert" said he could be a 1st round pick.

I actually agree with that, Breakin' The Plane, however, it's one of several puzzle pieces that added up to Claeys not being the answer to this programs woes.

Most of us have complained about the off court/field issues within this athletic department and now that Coyle has rid the university of two coaches whose teams had issues, some complain. Some get excited from a 9-4 record (awesome for Gopher football!), but I feel we underachieved and the schedule doesn't get any easier. Now add in the fact that our recruiting is one of the lowest in the Big Ten...

After watching the interview with Claeys last night I now feel that he is a pretty good guy and I'd be willing to give him more time to see what he can do; however, I'm all about ridding the school of players who are undisciplined and coaches who struggle with disciplining players. The U has been made fun for players behaviors and it's time we clean house and get new coaches/players into our system.

We can agree to disagree.

I actually agree with that, Breakin' The Plane, however, it's one of several puzzle pieces that added up to Claeys not being the answer to this programs woes.

Most of us have complained about the off court/field issues within this athletic department and now that Coyle has rid the university of two coaches whose teams had issues, some complain. Some get excited from a 9-4 record (awesome for Gopher football!), but I feel we underachieved and the schedule doesn't get any easier. Now add in the fact that our recruiting is one of the lowest in the Big Ten...

After watching the interview with Claeys last night I now feel that he is a pretty good guy and I'd be willing to give him more time to see what he can do; however, I'm all about ridding the school of players who are undisciplined and coaches who struggle with disciplining players. The U has been made fun for players behaviors and it's time we clean house and get new coaches/players into our system.

Yea, seems like some fans need to pick a lane. First it was frustration with too many athletes behaving poorly and some really embarrassing incidents, now it's frustration with punishments being too harsh. Do people really not see the connection there? Setting a culture can be ugly in the beginning. Heads often roll. It's fine if people want to say that this wasn't the right incident to make a stand over...everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if you start to let stuff go just because it's difficult then you end up with the same problems. One thing is clear to me -- Coyle (or Kaler or the BOR or whoever people want to believe is behind this) is trying to change the culture, and you can't expect it to be easy.

Coaches and athletes are surely taking note that if they want to keep all of the privileges that go along with being who they are that they better keep their house in order and be on their best behavior. That's not a bad thing.

It's amazing.

My experience has been completely different. Who is right then? I think we could go to the same message board and come away with different conclusions based on our own feelings.

I've had my doubts about Claeys in regards to long term success. But I don't like the timing of this and the reasons Coyle gave. Just a month ago, he said he supported Claeys. And according to Claeys, Coyle said the same thing directly to him. Now Coyle says it has a lot to do with recruiting rankings and play on the field. Either he was lying a month ago or he is lying now. I just don't get the praise Coyle is getting by some.

My experience has been completely different. Who is right then? I think we could go to the same message board and come away with different conclusions based on our own feelings.

I've had my doubts about Claeys in regards to long term success. But I don't like the timing of this and the reasons Coyle gave. Just a month ago, he said he supported Claeys. And according to Claeys, Coyle said the same thing directly to him. Now Coyle says it has a lot to do with recruiting rankings and play on the field. Either he was lying a month ago or he is lying now. I just don't get the praise Coyle is getting by some.

Agree, and now we are getting inklings that Coyle did not have the next horse in the corral when he fired Claeys. If that inkling comes to fruition, and candidates start to say NO to the job opening, the folly of this timing will be truly exposed.

Yea, seems like some fans need to pick a lane. First it was frustration with too many athletes behaving poorly and some really embarrassing incidents, now it's frustration with punishments being too harsh. Do people really not see the connection there? Setting a culture can be ugly in the beginning. Heads often roll. It's fine if people want to say that this wasn't the right incident to make a stand over...everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if you start to let stuff go just because it's difficult then you end up with the same problems. One thing is clear to me -- Coyle (or Kaler or the BOR or whoever people want to believe is behind this) is trying to change the culture, and you can't expect it to be easy.

Coaches and athletes are surely taking note that if they want to keep all of the privileges that go along with being who they are that they better keep their house in order and be on their best behavior. That's not a bad thing.

100% agree.

I don't think your aspersion that Claeys has trouble disciplining players is fair. Claeys didn't agree with the suspension of players who were never part of the police investigation, never given a hearing or even told they were under investigation and were being lumped together with other players who were previously suspended. He stood up for players, some of whom their is question if they ever stepped foot into the apartment and one who wasn't even in the building being cast as the ten rapists.

Claeys told those kids' parents and those kids that he would have their backs and protect them and I believe that is what he was doing. He didn't support rape (idiotic feminazi bullcrap) and he didn't say they were innocent. What he did say (albeit poorly) was that he supported the right of his kids to stand up to being rail roaded by the PC crowd and being shamed in the court of public opinion.

Now, while I like Claeys and thought he would grow into a fine coach, I certainly wouldn't have had an issue with Coyle firing Claeys after last season or even after the Wisconsin game. It is the nature of the business. But waiting until after the bowl game and then building himself up like the truth messiah while disparaging the coaching staff that has been here and worked their butts off for the last 6 years was just cowardly nonsense.

Coyle is a coward and I wouldn't work for him. But that's just me. Claeys will be fine and so will the rest of our coaches.

Top Bottom